• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    What limited three gun I have shot I noticed if the front is not too heavy and the rifle balances well a little extra weight in the back doesn't hurt. I also found I like the A2 stock more than the collapsible types. That is where I typically had my adjustable set to and the weight outback helps with the balance. With the 16" standard contour its a cinch. With the 18" or 20" HBAR it is definitely an advantage.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It never seems to get tons of debris in it to me :confused:
    10009405514_d5fe548326_z.jpg

I don't think $900 for the lower is reasonable though.

I'm getting a billet 80% lower and doing that. Or forged.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    You don't shoot 3-gun, do you?

I thought about that but since the rifle will be dropped into barrels during matches, I don't think they'll be durable enough to last a season.

That's the stock I want. I posted a while back on the carbon fiber handguard I wanted. Pencil barrel? No thanks. I don't need shots stringing.

Pretty close to what I want, but not digging the fixed stock and I don't think the lower is being built anymore.

I doubt that you will be this hard on your rifle...

LW15 torture...

PS... I have one that I bought as a stripped lower and built out with standard LPK/FCG... So far it is flawless.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Didn't it look like that barrel was starting to head south? Or was it a photographic illusion?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Carbon fiber handrails would help fit your build. Fluted barrel in your choice of length, ar15 bolt and a minimalist stock. Magpul or diamondhead polymer sights.

F

FaxonFirearms

When Daniel Defense discontinued their .625 gas block barrels, Faxon Firearms came on the scene with nitrided (both 4150 and 416 available) pencil barrels. They weigh less than 20 ounces for a full 16" barrel. If you can't build a sub-6-pound rifle with one of those, you're doing it VERY wrong. :)

some guys on another ar-15 related forum have even gotten around 4.5 pounds for a 16" non-pinned example.

A pleasure to be thought of and mentioned. Let us know if you have any questions.

We apologize for taking so long to join MDShooters. With such a robust community here, we are remiss to not partake!

F

FaxonFirearms

When are you going to have those 18" Gunners in stock? I'm very impatiently waiting!

Not to derail a thread, but the barrels are back from QPQ. We hope to have them complete before Christmas, but we are slammed!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A pleasure to be thought of and mentioned. Let us know if you have any questions.

We apologize for taking so long to join MDShooters. With such a robust community here, we are remiss to not partake!
    Have you taken the steps to become an IP (Industry Partner)? It will allow you to advertise on the forum. Also, it would help keep the lights on for MDS.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Differences between my 9# 3-gun rifle and my 7# 3-gun rifle is this:
    18" fluted SS Stag barrel vs. 16" carbon fiber wrapped ABS barrel
    15" AP Custom carbon fiber handguard vs. 13" ALG alloy handguard
    Aero-Precision alloy lower vs. ATI model 200 steel reinforced polymer lower
    Ergo F93 Pro stock vs. Safariland Super Stock
    A-P upper vs. A-P upper
    Ergo grip vs. Ergo grip
    Burris 1.5-6x40 MTAC scope vs. Burris 1-4x24 MTAC scope
    Most of the difference is in the barrel as most of the other parts are within a few onces. The 13" ALG is no heavier than the 15" APC CF one. Its mostly a case of a few onces hear and there and the barrel difference.
    The problem in 3-gun with pencil barrels is they get hot much faster under sustained fire and they tend to lose accuracy at longer ranges. I personally don't know anyone of note who uses a barrel under 16" and most tend to use 18" because at pro events the long range targets can be as far as 600 yards which is the max allowed in most cases.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I personally don't know anyone of note who uses a barrel under 16" and most tend to use 18" because at pro events the long range targets can be as far as 600 yards which is the max allowed in most cases.

I'm really confused as to why they stretched out the field to 600 yards. Several years ago, the longest shot was 400. Once you get past that, it's more of a DMR shot than a 3-gun shot.

Either way, how is that 16" carbon fiber barrel working out?

Feb 28, 2013
    Have you taken the steps to become an IP (Industry Partner)? It will allow you to advertise on the forum. Also, it would help keep the lights on for MDS.

Yep. I was about to go there myself. :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard, Faxon. Glad you found us. :wave:

Contact DD214, the site owner, to see about Industry Partner status. :)

orangecrush

Aug 9, 2009
    cecil co.
    You can try one of these lowers for lighter weight. CMMG top is 8.8 oz. and Mag Tactical is only 6.1 oz.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 315

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    PrecisionFirearms.com Mark has a gen II upper that has pocketed areas (nothing thru) that lighten it up a fair amount. I have several and love them. Also my hats off to Faxon! ! They make some really nice barrels. I have bought my fair share and will continue to buy more. Love both there flame fluted and fluted heavy barrels.

thai

May 8, 2013
    I just got three short barrel uppers for my pre SB281 lowers. One is a BCM fluted lightweight 11.5". The other 2 are LWRCI 8.5" IC PDW, and an 11.5" IC A5. The LDUBs are built like a tank and are so far flawless in fit and function. The BCM is amazingly light. It is just 8 oz. Less than the 8.5" LWRCI, but feels like 2lbs or more, it feels so well balance. I intend to use it for one of my SBRs. I will purchase more lightweight fluted BCM Uppers for pre10/13 lowers.

Attachments

• 20151210_094614.jpg
      20151210_094614.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 277

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Have heard anecdotal reports of the lowers cracking or being more fragile.

Those were reported by people who deliberately and intentionally subjected the lowers to some very rough handling, far rougher than 95% of the members on most forums would ever subject their rifles to. There are also a LOT more people who've bought them, built on them, and managed to avoid breaking anything simply by not being an idjit. ;)

All that out of the way, there are plenty of ways to attain a rifle full up that's within the 5-pound to 5-1/2 pound range with standard forged lowers and uppers, without venturing into NFA if a shooter doesn't want to. When price differences are factored, the ounce or two can be made up with a lighter bcg, ligter buffer, and adjustable gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom