• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Ecstatic I made it. Not happy about my counting error on the first leg but thats ok. Fairly happy with the rest of shooting.

As Threeband said its good to have a system. Lay out the proper amount of ammo with an emergency reserve set to the side. My problem is remembering to switch from the "sighter" target to the "scoring" target on the first stage. I've sent scoring rounds into the sighting orange more than I care to think about.

I was on lane 7 in the second round- next to Richard. Unfortunately none of his skill wore off on me.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Ecstatic I made it. Not happy about my counting error on the first leg but thats ok. Fairly happy with the rest of shooting.

As Threeband said its good to have a system. Lay out the proper amount of ammo with an emergency reserve set to the side. My problem is remembering to switch from the "sighter" target to the "scoring" target on the first stage. I've sent scoring rounds into the sighting orange more than I care to think about.

I was on lane 7 in the second round- next to Richard. Unfortunately none of his skill wore off on me.

If I remember right you shot pretty damn well too!

Next time I will have a system I was just trying to make sure every shot was a scoring shot which went off well. Sadly 1-5 and only 2-x but a lot of 8's which was encouraging and while standing wasn't great (Not sure what a noob should shoot) I was fairly happy with it.

Sorry we didn't get to formally introduce ourselves at the shoot!

You will probably remember the comment "Superman Bleeds" that was me ;)

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I remember the "superman bleeds" comment. Hilarious. I know who you are now.

My slow fire & rapid prone were pretty good (92-3X, 93-2X) but my offhand fell apart. I mean it always sucks but today I totally fcuked it up. My short term goal is to beat Threeband. Still haven't done it.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    For now as long as I continue to improve ill be happy but I do have some numbers goals as well. My biggest thing is other than the skipped shots is time goes so slow I always finished early like I was rushing so I need to learn a better pace.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Yeah, umm, uhh, no one told me I was supposed to load singles for the slowfire stages:( I was next to "superman" on the other side and he told he after the offhand. Opps!

So you just add all three scores together? 259-1X. Do they get posted somewhere?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Yeah, umm, uhh, no one told me I was supposed to load singles for the slowfire stages:( I was next to "superman" on the other side and he told he after the offhand. Opps!

So you just add all three scores together? 259-1X. Do they get posted somewhere?

I was going to ask if they get posted but I dont want mine posted ;) at least the bar is set low for the next time I go shoot! :sad20:

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I had fun at the match as well. Thanks for the invite. I hope I was successful in bringing down the curve for everyone with the lowest score. At least I have more than a month until the next match so I can practice. Maybe next time I can get all shots on paper. :sad20:

I had to leave before you guys finished to photograph some senior photos. But I was able to get a few photos of the second relay.

i-rzSczFR-L.jpg

i-GKTWw5W-L.jpg

i-8pNdqT4-L.jpg

i-dcn397X-L.jpg

i-mdLPqgm-L.jpg

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Scores don't get posted. Just add all three stages together. SMDUB beat me. I had 252 5-X (stupid fcuking c0@k sucking offhand). Lots of dryfiring & practice n my future.

Single loading is the "proper" way to do the slow fire stages. They don't enforce it up there but some matches will.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Scores used to get posted on the CMP website, IF someone from Thurmont sent them in. Sometimes they did, and sometimes they didn't.

Then about two years ago, the CMP came up with a new and improved Competition Tracker that was completely unusable. I don't know if they ever fixed it.

Smdub, 259-1x is pretty damn good. I thought you were shooting well. I think that was 4th place, but I'm not sure.

MacMoov, those are great pictures. I'll leave it up to others to identify themselves if they want to. I didn't realize you were there. Was that you on Relay 1, Position 2?

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Great pictures. Except from that angle I can see how much weight I've gained. Off to the gym I guess.
    I have some pics I'll post later.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    MacMoov, Thanks for the pics! Thats me on the left in the first pic w/ the enbloc in the air. That remains me to thank Threeband for letting me use his spotting scope. Thanks Threeband! It would have been much harder w/o one to get those sighters dialed in;) I'll have to buy one and a sling before the next match.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Sorry I missed the shoot. I was at the Chantilly show with friends, but I may try to make it out to the next one at the end of June with Springy (if it's not too steam bathy by then).

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Mailed off order: 4/22/14
    E-mail saying my order was rec'vd: 4/28/14

That's the coveted DBU ("Don't Bug Us").

Receiving your very first DBU is sort of like a young girl getting her first kiss.

In other news, this very morning I myself mailed off an order for an HRA Service Grade. I put a sticky note on the order asking them to please send one with a USGI stock. We'll see what happens.

... I'll have to buy one and a sling before the next match.

That Konus scope is probably the best buy. Apparently you have to pay a LOT, LOT more to get just a slight improvement in visibility.
    If I were doing it again, I wouldn't get that Freeland stand. There are other models that telescope, and are both more stable and more convenient.

I personally like the web slings. CMP sells them for $10 each through the E-Store.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    That's the coveted DBU ("Don't Bug Us").

Receiving your very first DBU is sort of like a young girl getting her first kiss.

In other news, this very morning I myself mailed off an order for an HRA Service Grade. I put a sticky note on the order asking them to please send one with a USGI stock. We'll see what happens.

Awesome! I really want another but dont see one in my future anytime soon.

Btw what is considered a decent score for early shooters in each of the stages? I know what rich shot but no idea what the group average was or what typical new shooters shoot.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    We shoot at 100 yards on SR-1 targets. No pits- we all just walk downrange to score the targets.

Do you use the same targets for 200 yards?

I'll more than likely be able to make the next one in June. It'll be my first one so I'll make everyone look good.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Btw what is considered a decent score for early shooters in each of the stages? I know what rich shot but no idea what the group average was or what typical new shooters shoot.

I really don't know either.

Just to give you a sense, these are the basic NRA High Power Classification cut-offs, to which I've added the matching score based on a 300 point match.

High Master.......97%......... 291
    Master...............94%......... 282
    Expert................89%........ 267
    Sharpshooter.....84% .........252
    Marksman..........up to 83.99%

You'll see my 267-3x just barely meets the NRA "Expert" level ( 89% of 300 = 267).

This is the NRA system. It is not used by the CMP. The CMP awards Gold, Silver, and Bronze awards, the cut-offs for which vary a bit, for different rifles, and even year by year. The 2012 cut-off scores for the 30 round Garand match were:

Gold........... 281+
    Silver..........273 - 280
    Bronze........264 - 272

Perhaps with a slight adjustment, this is the system that will be used next week at the Eastern Games at Camp Butner. Thurmont is just a casual Club match. The difference is, that while I got the Silver the other day, I really only deserved the Bronze.

But that doesn't really address your question.

I'd say you want to practice and improve. If you're shooting in the 220s, aim to get into the 230s. Then try to improve on that.

At the AGC, I see a LOT of people shooting from the bench. Many ranges, such as Hap Baker, allow very little or no option for any position except bench shooting.

(OPINION ALERT!) I think bench shooting is a sad waste of time and ammo. Get off the damn bench! Practice the positions: prone, sitting, and offhand. Practice at 100 yards minimum. Print off some SR-1 targets and shoot ten round strings at 100 yards. Keep score. Improve. Collect many medals and awards.

Do you use the same targets for 200 yards?

The 200 yard target is twice as big as the 100 yard target.

The standard John C Garand match is shot at 200 yards using the SR target.
    The club matches at Thurmont are shot at 100 yards, using the reduced size SR-1 target.
    The two targets are scaled to appear the same size at those ranges.

I don't notice much difference. 200 yards is still close enough that wind-reading isn't a big factor, so I really haven't found it to be an increased challenge over 100 yards. I practice at 100, because it's a lot more convenient, I can use cheaper targets, and most importantly, I can easily read my targets through the scope. I find it frustrating trying to score through the scope at 200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom