• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Noob question: do the CMP Garands come with en bloc clips?

CMP Garands come with one En bloc, one empty chamber indicator, manual, certificate, and a hardcase.

CMP sells en blocs by the box(25) for a decent price. I would order a sling, ammo, & box of clips. Oh and why the hell not get a bayonet also.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    CMP Garands come with one En bloc, one empty chamber indicator, manual, certificate, and a hardcase.

CMP sells en blocs by the box(25) for a decent price. I would order a sling, ammo, & box of clips. Oh and why the hell not get a bayonet also.

You make a strong argument!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Rain or shine?
    Looks like we have to have a notarized document? Is there a notary there?

... Can we stay at the range and shoot some afterwards? I've never been up there and am not a member.

How long does it usually take? Typical number of competitors? Just wondering how long I need to tell the wife I'll be gone. Im a newbie of you can't tell;)

We shot once in a driving rainstorm. The firing line is covered. It won't rain, though.

There should be a notary there.

I was told one of the members plans to do some 200 yard shooting after the match to prepare for the upcoming Camp Butner matches. He told me others are welcome to stay and shoot a bit.

Seems I usually can get away by 1:00 or so. There is room for seven shooters per relay. We usually have 2 or 3 relays. Also we usually shoot the short match (30 rounds + 5 sighters), rather than the long course (50 rounds + 5). If there are more than 14 shooters I'm sure we'll shoot the short course.

Noob question: do the CMP Garands come with en bloc clips?

They used to come with ONE clip. Probably still do. I believe the CMP sells clips at the E-Store.
    I bought cases of spam cans packed with ammo on clips in bandoleers back when they had it for 27 cents a round. "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may..."

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Do they contact you before they charge you?

No, they don't. But you can follow your order through the e-store which gives you status and will show when your card gets charged. They don't charge you until right before shipment (a day or two).

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Threeband/stu929, Had a great time today at the match and good to meet you!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Nobody looks as we imagine them. I overheard Stu talking about the futility of making another trip to the North Store, and his comment sounded like a stu929 posting. Then he had hinted he might actually make it to Thurmont at long last, so I cleverly asked him, "Are you on MdShooters? What's your user name?"

But he doesn't look like stu929, does he? I thought he would look like Ward Cleaver, and smoke a pipe. But then, I'll bet I don't look like Threeband.

So aren't you guys glad you finally made it?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Nobody looks as we imagine them. I overheard Stu talking about the futility of making another trip to the North Store, and his comment sounded like a stu929 posting. Then he had hinted he might actually make it to Thurmont at long last, so I cleverly asked him, "Are you on MdShooters? What's your user name?"

But he doesn't look like stu929, does he? I thought he would look like Ward Cleaver, and smoke a pipe. But then, I'll bet I don't look like Threeband.

So aren't you guys glad you finally made it?

Ecstatic I made it. Not happy about my counting error on the first leg but thats ok. Fairly happy with the rest of shooting. I couldn't find my MDS shirt or I would have worn it. It was a hectic morning!

As I mentioned at the range will gladly carpool and help others if they go but there's been so little there I havent seen the point in going recently. Hopefully those times will return before all the M1s are gone.

Btw how did you shoot threeband? I was going to stick around but had to run for baseball!

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Ok. Who was Stu and who was smdub????
    Wish. Would have met you. That's what I ge for being antisocial I guess.

I was the fat guy with the M1 ;-)

I was in the 4th lane 2 flight. Black jacket blue hat most of the morning. I know there were more MDs people there but didnt want to ask everyone if there were on the forum.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not happy about ...my counting error on the first leg but thats ok.

'''
    Btw how did you shoot threeband? I was going to stick around but had to run for baseball!

The slowfire stages are supposed to be single-loaded, rather than clip fed. That's by the official rules, though no one's likely to make a big deal out of it at a casual club match like Thurmont.

Anyway, most people set out the exact number of cartridges for that stage. Prone slowfire, I set out 5 sighters and 10 for record. Standing slowfire I load 10 rounds into a fancy holder I have, split in two groups of five.

Then I shoot till those cartridges are gone, at which point I stop.

For rapid fire, I position my reload clip, plus a second emergency "Murphy" clip convenient to my right hand. That second clip saved me once, when Murphy's Law screwed up my first clip.

Too bad you couldn't stick around for the Award Ceremony. You didn't get to see R. Lee Ermey fly in by helicopter, along with 6 or 8 beautiful, scantily clad girls to hand out the awards.

I did better than I expected: 267-3x , which was second place. Tim Seipp (First relay, position 1) took third place with a score of 261. Of course Richard Bodine won First: I don't know what his score was. A bit better than 267-3x, I think.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Just so you know, I've been shooting these matches since 2009, and the only time Richard did not win first place was one magical day he had a stuck round which forced him to beat the action open with a 2x4. Of course, I was still second that day. John Powell won first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom