• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    In the HK world they say a proper hardcast and LUBED lead projectiles with an appropriate cleaning schedule should be okay. Buffalo Bore corroborates this on their webpage.

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    Will 230 grain hardcast bullets stabilize on the witness hunter?

Are these safe to fire on guns with polygonal rifling?

Yes,I have used these in my witness hunter with no issues. EAA said I was GTG. fwiw

Nimrod

"NOT DISAPPROVED"
    Mar 22, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I think you are on the right track with the Glock 20 and the Witness Hunter. I have both and they are my go-to guns for the woods. I take the Glock 20 when I know the weather will be bad. Other than that, I take the Witness Hunter. Be sure and check out some of the loads by Underwood Ammo: http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx They have some nice stuff. My favorite woods load is the 220 Grain hardcast (1200fps).

I have some 1911's in 10mm as well, and they are a blast to shoot but for the woods I like having the extra mag capacity of the Glock (15) and the EAA (14).

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    U guys ever take a look at .450 smc? That could b quitquite useful in this discussion...

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I regularly shoot pistols at longer ranges.. 100 yards on modern service weapons. I really want something that will reach out further but still be practical as a defensive pistol.

I also cant leave anything stock.so parts Availability is a big factor.

Im probably going with :

Witness Hunter. Vs Glock20. I pricing out parts right now to maybe build a g20 longslide from lonewolf parts.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Regarding the military using a Glock 20 for Polar bear medicine...

Really? They don't find that their battle rifles are up to the task for Polar bear medicine? I would imagine even 30 rounds of 5.56 would be sufficient. Especially when personnel are usually traveling in groups. I have heard of Inuits taking. 22Lr to hunt polar bears with, not my first choice. But a pistol would be my backup.

With the choices in really heavy revolver cartridges and knowing you get up to 6 shots, does an 8 or 9 shot semi auto make more sense with a lesser cartridge?

I would like to take an SBR AR10 on a moose float trip for inland grizzly protection. 20 rounds of. 308 partitions or a bonded bullet would be perfect.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    None of us can speak for the sirius patrol folks...your opinion is as good as any.

If youre hiking many miles in the wilderness, get tangled up in vegetation etc. a rifle may not be your best option.

From personal experience.

I was in a feral pig hunt about 15 years ago. I was in a tree stand when i shot a huge boar.
    Got down to check out the bacon. Sat my rifle by the base of the tree. Out of nowhere, a pack of angry feral pigs were sprinting at full speed towards me. I hightailed it up the tree stand. Forgot about my rifle at the base of the tree.

For several hours, all i can do is flick cig butts and scream profanity at these horrible tusked angry pigs. Good thing, they dont know how to climb trees.( bear, mountain lions and feral anacondas do)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCTw6WNx_-4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I would carry a Witness Hunter 10mm. loaded with 15 rds. of hardcast from Double Tap or Buffalo Bore in bear country without any reservations.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Desert eagle .357 with 9 inch barrel? You could hunt all sorts of stuff with that. Heavy though. Depending on range you could drop it down to the standard barrel. The polygonal rifling on these guns make them extremely accurate.

Unsure if you are looking for a transitional gun that will work for both CCW and anti-bear, or an actual semi auto hunting pistol.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Desert eagle .357 with 9 inch barrel? You could hunt all sorts of stuff with that. Heavy though. Depending on range you could drop it down to the standard barrel. The polygonal rifling on these guns make them extremely accurate.

Unsure if you are looking for a transitional gun that will work for both CCW and anti-bear, or an actual semi auto hunting pistol.

Not ccw, but something I can carry in an OWB holster and use for hunting medium sized game as well as self defense. If im the one being hunted.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    How about a .460 Rowland Upper on a 1911?
    6" barrel 230gr at 1261 fps.
    10mm looks like 155gr at 1254fps out of a 6" barrel.

In md, don't you have to have a 6" barrel to hunt with?

I bought my rowland kit years ago because it met the quals for handgun hunting deer. I've taken 1 deer with it.

I mention it just because you had 10mm 1911 on the list.
    Yes minimum barrel length for hunting is 6".

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I'm a little late to the conversation, but have you thought about the FN Five Seven? Green tips are readily available online now and the dam thing holds 20 rounds. Just a thought.

May 13, 2005
    I'm a little late to the conversation, but have you thought about the FN Five Seven? Green tips are readily available online now and the dam thing holds 20 rounds. Just a thought.

notsureifserious.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom