• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I've spent A LOT of time in bear country... and I would absolutely choose something bigger than a 10mm....

When you say bear, do you mean MD kind bear, or real bears?

The 10mm has some great hardcast and bear loads. Buffalo Bore 220 gr. hardcast and Double Tap 230gr.hardcast are the ones that immediately come to mind. I personally have both of these and have shot them from my 10mm. I would be just as comfortable with 15 of these in my pistol as I would be with 6 of the 320gr. hardcast Double Tap 44 mag. in my Dan Wesson. I'am aware that the 44 definitely hits harder, it's just what you feel comfortable with in your situation. k

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    10mm looks like 155gr at 1254fps out of a 6" barrel.

:rolleyes: I got that speed with my 200gr LFN handload out of my 5" Kimber 10mm.

BTW, ParaOrdnance is offering a 6" 1911 single-stack in 10mm. I'm going to have to get one after I get a 10mm upper for my Witness. Also, Bazooka Brothers will make a DI 10mm upper for your AR pistol/SBR lower http://bazookabrothers.com/pages/shop/7?category=2

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    Im probably going with the witness. Its within my price range and i like the single action trigger. A scope mount and an RMR may even make it more fun at extended ranges.

I wonder if any local IPs carry it in stock.

Eaa has the mounts and I had great luck with their customer service. When I was in the market for mine some time ago there were no local places that had one.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I have an EAA Witness Match 9mm, which isn't the caliber you are looking for but the gun itself is similar to the Hunter. It is an outstanding handgun, extremely well-made, all metal and it is heavy. The slide moves on the frame rails like it is on ball-bearings and the trigger is basically a 1911 trigger.

Did I mention that it is a tack driver, even at distance?

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    yILPX46.jpg

This in .40 Vektor SP1 Target. 6" barrel.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm looking for a long range / hunting pistol. Must be semi auto , 10mm and have a superb trigger/ sights. Must be able to stop bears, pissed of hogs and two legged predators.

What are my options.

Currently looking into.

EA witness hunter longslide
    1911 in 10mm
    Glock 20( custom)

I really like the witness, a bit different and it is made of steel. I heard the trigger is very nice as well. It's also high cap at 15 rounds.

Any input ?
    You must mean black bears because I would not even consider using a 10mm as a bear stopper in any part of NA with browns, grizzlies, or polars. Even at close range. I consider a 41 Rem Magnum as marginal even loaded to 275g at a minimum of 1300 FPS and I only carried that because that was all I had. 480 Ruger is much better. 155g is too weeny a load. 180g is not a lot better. For bad guys and small hogs 10mm is Ok. I am not even sure if 10mm is legal for hunting in MD.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm just curious if the handgun will be your primary weapon for this hunt or used as a backup weapon. Have you considered a big honking scoped revolver for distance work and the semi holstered in case things get crazy? (I don't even know if its legal to carry two handguns on a hunt)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'm just curious if the handgun will be your primary weapon for this hunt or used as a backup weapon. Have you considered a big honking scoped revolver for distance work and the semi holstered in case things get crazy? (I don't even know if its legal to carry two handguns on a hunt)

Its just going to be a backup weapon for hoghunts and long hikes in the woods.

I usually employ a scoped M1A for hog hunting but need a pistol for quick shots.
    It takes longer to deploy the rifle from a sling. (also protection from wolves, feral dogs,mountain lions, chupacabras and rabid chihuahuas)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    460 Rowland for the win. That or g20 with lone wolf's longer barrels for more ass to the 1cm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom