• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    So with the law that was passed last year, how do these work?

Looks like a nics check is required? Does that mean a 4473 at a dealer even though its a private sale?

Considering handgun transfers can be done at an MSP location for $10, private sales on unregulated long arms just got more expensive since MSP doesn't facilitate those.....

Am I missing something here?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Looks like a nics check is required? Does that mean a 4473 at a dealer even though its a private sale?
    Yes
    Considering handgun transfers can be done at an MSP location for $10, private sales on unregulated long arms just got more expensive since MSP doesn't facilitate those.....

Freedom!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

It must go through an FFL, and MSP doesn’t do them.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    since this is a Maryland law, I have a hard time understanding why MSP is not required to offer to do them like handguns.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    since this is a Maryland law, I have a hard time understanding why MSP is not required to offer to do them like handguns.

Because the legislature hasn’t compelled them to and MSP wants many millions of dollars and new facilities.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    There are exceptions for family transfers.
    Can someone point me to wording that confirms this? I have a friend asking me if rifles can be transferred from father in law from out of state.

Being the highly educated cop that I am... I have no clue. I'd like to provide documentation to him, outlining the process and legality.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Can someone point me to wording that confirms this? I have a friend asking me if rifles can be transferred from father in law from out of state.

Being the highly educated cop that I am... I have no clue. I'd like to provide documentation to him, outlining the process and legality.

No. Out of state = disparity of residence. Must involve FFL as that is interstate commerce. That's a federal issue not an MD issue.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Can't be done from an out of state relative. Interstate transfers, other than by inheritance, must go through an FFL by ATF regulations.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Muzzle loaders are not considered firearms. So no FFL is required. Even from outside MD to a MD resident.
    Some are, some aren't. Example: the UML from remington was built in a centerfire 700 receiver. It is legally a firearm as I can screw the barrel out and install a 308 (or other) barrel that easily.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Some are, some aren't. Example: the UML from remington was built in a centerfire 700 receiver. It is legally a firearm as I can screw the barrel out and install a 308 (or other) barrel that easily.

Yeah I knew that I was debating whether to get into the weeds with the answer. If it is built on a "real" receiver then it is considered a firearm. And swappable barrels that fire modern ammunition as well. So I guess the answer is "it depends". :beer:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Thanks for the scoop. I guess a TC Encore might also be considered a firearm for the same reason as the Rem.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not the pistol, I was refering to the rifle version with a full stock etc.
    If it was sold as a pistol though that is what it is. Many Encores were. You’d have to talk the specific FFL transferring it on how they are transferring it to you.

That said, yes all Encores are firearms of some flavor according to the ATF.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Sure, here you go.

Attachments

• 5-204.1 Sale rental or transfer by non-licensees.pdf
      107.8 KB · Views: 154

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar