• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Tick Tock was always the easiest place to get booze while going to school at Maryland - that is unless you could get it at Lassick's in College Park. I never remembered that area down by Riggs Rd to be particularly safe lookin...

Tick Tock, wow, I only ever went there after midnight. Always a comfort seeing the PG police presence there; everyone else was pretty much over the edge. 'Cept'n me, of course.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    I've never felt uneasy in Wheaton. Gaithersburg however.....

And for Peruvian chicken, Chicken Rico in Highlandtown or La Brasa in Rockville are the best I've ever had hands down.

My dad's from Wheaton. The greaser stuff back then is true. And now there's tons of hot Latina chicks.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Happened to drive through Wheaton today on Georgia Avenue and noticed that every one of those new high rises/flats by the new Safeway (i.e., across from Dunkin Donuts) are all apartments. Not a single one of them is a condo complex. What do you think is going to happen when you have a bunch of renters, versus owners, living there? They look nice now.

Time will tell.

Oh I work in property, and having grown up there - and my folks still living there - I feel ill just thinkin about what has happened to Wheaton on the whole over the last 15 years... Back in the early 80's, it was once awarded as thee most ethnically round city in the US! Now, well I need not even say... You either know, or you don't know about what its become, and it ain't ethnically round anymore.

I think the county has made it clear that Wheaton is now to be the armpit of the county, with Mont Village not far behind. I see the trend towards more rental property ownership versus owner occupied's there too...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The new construction in Wheaton towers over the rest of the neighborhood. Just a giant tax farm: pack 'em in and milk 'em.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    The new construction in Wheaton towers over the rest of the neighborhood. Just a giant tax farm: pack 'em in and milk 'em.

Well those folks are just renters and not owners, so no such tax income there. However that ole BB&T Tower - tall white office building with solar panels on it accross from Firestone - is slated to come down and possibly be replaced with mixed use condos (those are property taxable), and a Harris Teeter in the basement. Kinda like over in Rockville off the end of Old Georgetown Rd.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well those folks are just renters and not owners, so no such tax income there. However that ole BB&T Tower - tall white office building with solar panels on it accross from Firestone - is slated to come down and possibly be replaced with mixed use condos (those are property taxable), and a Harris Teeter in the basement. Kinda like over in Rockville off the end of Old Georgetown Rd.

The landlord still has to pay property tax, so the renters are indirectly paying property tax too.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Noticed a bunch of bikers looking like Charles Manson with prospect patches hanging out on Plyers Mill Rd lately....there goes the neighborhood...

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.

Noticed it was boarded up the other day.....glad to see it will be developed into something positive.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.

This is what the old timers said about Rockville Pike back when it was an old airstrip.......progress is coming and its going vertical.....

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Oh I work in property, and having grown up there - and my folks still living there - I feel ill just thinkin about what has happened to Wheaton on the whole over the last 15 years... Back in the early 80's, it was once awarded as thee most ethnically round city in the US! Now, well I need not even say... You either know, or you don't know about what its become, and it ain't ethnically round anymore.

I think the county has made it clear that Wheaton is now to be the armpit of the county, with Mont Village not far behind. I see the trend towards more rental property ownership versus owner occupied's there too...

:innocent0 I've lived in Wheaton/Silver Spring for almost 20 years and see a drastic improvement from when I first moved here. Density development is occurring anywhere there is a Metro station in the D.C metro area.

As far as ethnically rounded I can remember during the late 60's and early seventies it was the white flight retreat bastion from D.C. Very little diversity whatsoever. Wheaton like most urban areas in this country is rapidly becoming more ethnically diverse only the folks moving in are now highly educated.

The older multi family housing apartment areas which are primarily occupied by new immigrants do need work on improving the immediate area. Wheaton needs a police station in it's downtown area and that horrid Wheaton Triangle needs to be taken by imminent domain and torn down and redeveloped.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Before the arrival of enclosed malls, downtown Silver Spring was the shopping mecca in Montgomery, with Hecht Co. and J.C. Penney department stores, and a host of "Main Street" shops. Wheaton Plaza opened in 1954 and was remodeled in the 1960s. What is now Rockville's Congressional Plaza was built on an airstrip in 1958.

Larger, enclosed malls started arriving in the late 1960s and 1970s. Bethesda's Montgomery Mall dates to 1968; White Flint spurred revitalization of the Rockville Pike shopping thoroughfare in 1977; Lakeforest shopping center was Gaithersburg's first mall, opening in 1978.

In the center of Rockville in the early 1960s more than 100 families were moved and buildings razed for the Rockville Mall, billed as "a new concept of convenience," with "garage parking, escalators, unique landscaping and reflecting pools." The major department store was Landsburgh's. Two decades later, the mall had been labeled a "white elephant" and stores had shuttered, prompting one report that the mall "was a disaster of urban renewal." A major redevelopment of the city's Town Center started to take shape in the late 1990s and continues today.

Sources: Gazette archives; Montgomery County Planning Board; Peerless Rockville; "Montgomery County — Two

Centuries of Change;" "Montgomery County — A Pictorial History."

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    This is what the old timers said about Rockville Pike back when it was an old airstrip.......progress is coming and its going vertical.....

Really? Did not know that. That must explain that old airport hanger I used to roller skate at off 355 back in the early 80's, if I did not go to Wheel-a-While off Gude or Slut Putt.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    The older multi family housing apartment areas which are primarily occupied by new immigrants do need work on improving the immediate area. Wheaton needs a police station in it's downtown area and that horrid Wheaton Triangle needs to be taken by imminent domain and torn down and redeveloped.

I believe there is something in the works for that. I end up in the Wheaton beats quite often for work and the most active area in my opinion is 97 from Randolph to university. Usually full of buffoonery.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Before the arrival of enclosed malls, downtown Silver Spring was the shopping mecca in Montgomery, with Hecht Co. and J.C. Penney department stores, and a host of "Main Street" shops. Wheaton Plaza opened in 1954 and was remodeled in the 1960s. What is now Rockville's Congressional Plaza was built on an airstrip in 1958.

Larger, enclosed malls started arriving in the late 1960s and 1970s. Bethesda's Montgomery Mall dates to 1968; White Flint spurred revitalization of the Rockville Pike shopping thoroughfare in 1977; Lakeforest shopping center was Gaithersburg's first mall, opening in 1978.

I remember going to downtown silver spring as a kid and looking at the animated Christmas displays in the windows of Hecht's.
    Sears in Whiteoak was the closest thing we had to an enclosed mall. I used to love getting a bag of hot roasted redskin peanuts and walking through the outdoor section looking at the guns and jon boats and then to the basement where the toy section was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom