• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Can somebody explain this 77R thing? I had mine engraved way past Augest, I dropped it off and picked up in a few days. I assumed I am done now, as by ATF rules they had to put it in their bound book. Do I need to call and check? if they did it the ATF way but did not put it into a bound book - does that mean they violated the ATF ruling? Will it be half ATF way now and I need to get 77R?
    I could be wrong, but if not logged in the FFLs books then you have to do a 77R online with the MSP.

I suppose, you can call whoever did it for you and see if was entered in.

Also, I believe if they kept them they are supposed to log it in as receiving them. If they do them while you wait they don't because they never took possession of them.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    I could be wrong, but if not logged in the FFLs books then you have to do a 77R online with the MSP.

I suppose, you can call whoever did it for you and see if was entered in.

Also, I believe if they kept them they are supposed to log it in as receiving them. If they do them while you wait they don't because they never took possession of them.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    Hello
    @sygata
    @Dogmeat
    @wgttgw

I'm an FFL Manufacturer serializing 80%s for MD residents. I hope this can answer some of your questions.

- When MD first came out with SB387 last year, they required all PMFs be serialized their way AND registered with MSP.
    - When the ATF ruling on PMFs became effective Aug 24, 2022, from then onward, ALL PMFs had be serialized to the ATF standards and registration with MSP was optional because the law required them to be registered if done the MD way. Maryland Shall Issue says this in their own words and I also have an email from MSP stating it in their words too.
    - The the privately made Sig P320 Fire Control Unit (FCU) are considered frames and DO require serial numbers be engraved on them.
    - If you had your PMFs engraved the MD way and registered with MSP (filed a 77r) before 8/24/22, you are compliant. If not, you need an ATF compliant serial number.
    -For the serial number to be compliant with ATF's ruling, it must be done by an FFL Manufacturer, the first 8 digits identify the FFL, followed by a - and a unique number to the gun.
    - The FFL MUST log the guns into their bound book and back out to create a permanent record of the serialization, even if they are not taking it into inventory. The logic behind that is, if that gun is ever found in a crime scene and ATF or law enforcement contacts that FFL asking who they serialized that gun for, and the FFL doesn't know, then that serial number was meaningless.

I included some helpful links below and could share more docs and emails from MSP/ATF upon request.

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/privately-made-firearms-in-maryland

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ngDivision/Firearms/Untraceable-Firearms.aspx

If you or someone you know needs help with their PMFs, contact me and I'll be happy to help. Please note that because the deadline is March 1st, my availability for appointments is filling up quick.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    Yes that’s called registration

We all know where that leads
    I agree with you, these serial numbers won't prevent crime. These laws only hurt law abiding citizens like you and me. Criminals aren't coming to me to get their guns serialized, if anything, they are the ones taking serial numbers off guns.
    So I keep telling my people, if you do not want to get your gun serialized and you live in Maryland, my best advice is you either destroy the PMF or find it a new home in a more gun friendly state. Because the consequences of getting caught with an unserialized frame or receiver in Maryland after March 1st, even if it is unfinished, is 2 years in prison and 10k, per gun.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    From my understanding, the serializing does not have to be done by a MD FFL, is that correct?

I work near the Sterling Arsenal and was going to have them engrave everything this week. Anyone see any issues with that?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Anyone know of an FFL in western MD that provides this service?
    1. WARRIOR ARMAMENT & SUPPLY is a gun shop located in Damascus, MD. They are registered with the ATF as a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL Dealer) and their license number is 8-52-XXX-XX-XX-13471 . You can verify the current status of their license with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives by entering their license number into the ATF’s FFL eZ Check search tool.
      • Phone: (301) 500-4222​

John Is very good at what he does.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    From my understanding, the serializing does not have to be done by a MD FFL, is that correct?

I work near the Sterling Arsenal and was going to have them engrave everything this week. Anyone see any issues with that?

Thanks!

Umm... that is a big NO. If you bother to read a few posts above, it is clearly explained by Alejandro. I will paste the relevant part of his post here so you don't have to even scroll....

- If you had your PMFs engraved the MD way and registered with MSP (filed a 77r) before 8/24/22, you are compliant. If not, you need an ATF compliant serial number.
    -For the serial number to be compliant with ATF's ruling, it must be done by an FFL Manufacturer, the first 8 digits identify the FFL, followed by a - and a unique number to the gun.
    - The FFL MUST log the guns into their bound book and back out to create a permanent record of the serialization, even if they are not taking it into inventory. The logic behind that is, if that gun is ever found in a crime scene and ATF or law enforcement contacts that FFL asking who they serialized that gun for, and the FFL doesn't know, then that serial number was meaningless.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Umm... that is a big NO. If you bother to read a few posts above, it is clearly explained by Alejandro. I will paste the relevant part of his post here so you don't have to even scroll....

I don't see anything there that conflicts with what he was asking about doing. I looked up Sterling arsenal and they are a manufacturer that offers engraving. They could do the same thing that Blue Custom works does if they are willing to offer it. I haven't seen anything that said the ffl had to be in MD.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Oops, perhaps my bad, I didn't realize it was an out of state ffl, should have researched that. I believe you are correct, as long as they are an FFL07 and do it per ATF guidelines, it should pass muster now, sorry..

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I don't see anything there that conflicts with what he was asking about doing. I looked up Sterling arsenal and they are a manufacturer that offers engraving. They could do the same thing that Blue Custom works does if they are willing to offer it. I haven't seen anything that said the ffl had to be in MD.

Thanks! Appreciate the help. Makes my life significantly easier.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    I agree with you @budman93

The FFL does not necessarily have to be located in MD. They can be anywhere in the US as long as they engrave the serial number in accordance with federal standards (per ATF Rule ATF Rule 2021r-05F) and record it in their A&D Book.

If anyone reading this forum still has 80%s that need a serial number to be legal in Maryland by the March 1st deadline, I still have some availability left for appointments at my workshop in Finksburg.

I promised I will not turn people away. When I run out of room for appointments, customers can still drop off and pick up a few days later. Legally I have 72 hours to put serial numbers on them.

Customers can also mail them to me if they prefer that hassle over a long drive.

Feel free to contact me with questions. Email is the easiest way to reach me.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    Blue Custom Works got it done and fairly quick. Price was more than fair for the legwork involved. Wish none of us had to go through this. We all know there will be more hurdles sooner or later.

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Another shout-out to Blue Customworks. Alejandro did a fantastic job and I highly recommend him, his work was top notch and he really knows his stuff.

Word of caution, he is VERY BUSY heading into the 01 March 2023 deadline. If you need it done, don't wait! Call and make an appointment (and be flexible because he is swamped), but even so, he was kind, courteous, and professional. I would not hesitate to use him again for any type of engraving work.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    This was my understanding as well. I specifically asked and was told they do not enter it in so I would have to do a 77R with MSP. Had it been entered I believe I wouldn't have had to register with the MSP.

I did one 77R on one of the five I had serialized. I did receive the not disapproved back, so I assume I'm in compliance with the BS.
    Same position, the shop I went to did ATF engraving, but the receipt says to complete a 77R by 1 March. Very annoying.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Why would you do a 77r?

Not required if marked the "new" way with FFL number. Only required if marked the "old" way with maryland style number.

Last edited:

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    Why would you do a 77r?

Not required if marked the "new" way with FFL number. Only required if marked the "old" way with maryland style number.
    Because it is sort of in between. It has "new" way engraving, but FFL doing the engraving did not put it into bound book. I guess it is a little unclear what to do in such situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom