Is this a basis to challenge our 7-day waiting period?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I don't know much about this case--or the law generally, for that matter--but apparently, California has a 10-day waiting period for all handgun purchases. That law was challenged, and a federal district court in August said the waiting period is unconstitutional in cases where a purchaser already owns a handgun. The state AG asked for a stay of the decision, and that too was denied this week.

Could this all be a basis for challenging our waiting period?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/11/20/the-court-does-not-know-how-the-state-prioritizes-projects-but-dealing-with-an-unconstitutional-law-should-be-towards-the-top-of-the-list/

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The big thing is the language of the law and the reason for the wait in MD.

In CA, in the law it was a cooling off period. So people could not buy a gun and kill themselves or someone else in the heat of the moment.

I think that the MD wait is for the paperwork to clear MSP.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

In CA, in the law it was a cooling off period. So people could not buy a gun and kill themselves or someone else in the heat of the moment.

If so, then you should be able to pick it up when the ND comes back, regardless of time frame.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

Which is unfounded in the days of the Internet. The MSP should be interested in saving money in areas where the waste is very obvious to all, including themselves.

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    teh captain in charge of licensing told me that teh 7 day thing is a cooling off period. she kept saying it several times. so im guessing that it is

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Which is unfounded in the days of the Internet. The MSP should be interested in saving money in areas where the waste is very obvious to all, including themselves.

What waste? Nothing on MSP to have the firearm held for 8 days.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    teh captain in charge of licensing told me that teh 7 day thing is a cooling off period. she kept saying it several times. so im guessing that it is

And of course, MSP has never said something that was wrong.

Like 8th day release is not allowed????

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

It just illustrates the level of ignorance and lack of historical perspective at MSP. She heard it from a friend and all that... It's a throwback to paperwork being conducted using the USPS. No statute or COMAR reg supports her contention AFAIK.

"Sometimes it's best to keep your mouth closed and let people think you a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

MSP said it so it must be true. And an SBR is a pistol and a rifle.

ok.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What waste? Nothing on MSP to have the firearm held for 8 days.
    Doing any more than a NICS check, supposedly scouring all these databases to find ways to deny people.

They need to get over themselves. I know a lot of people here are of the mindset that everyone is just doing their jobs. Truth is, it's been job security for them, the more ******** anyone can come up with, the longer the background checks take......

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Huh? In the old days, I had paperwork (MAILED) come back in 4 - 5 days.

Now with the HQL and faxes, paperwork is taking 3 - 5 days.

So how are they making it take so much longer????

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Huh? In the old days, I had paperwork (MAILED) come back in 4 - 5 days.

Now with the HQL and faxes, paperwork is taking 3 - 5 days.

So how are they making it take so much longer????
    Well, you weren't around for the 100+ day waits last summer? They do what they want, unchecked for the most part.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland

As I remember our 7 day wait was called a "cooling off" period either in the law or MSP notice. I'm sure someone here could find it, I will try myself also. If the CA decision holds then we may just have a shot also. Chris

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    You have to remember that although it is an appellate court, the fourth has no mandatory requirement to consider a precedent from the ninth. Just this ruling being in play doesn't do anything to create a negative treatment on the fourths ruling. It will unfortunately take a ruling from the SCOTUS to force Blake to stop projecting her fear of firearms onto the entire district's population.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    For the record, my HQL was approved (I had to wait two days for the card) before the 7 day mark. I think my HQL only took two days to approve. If it only takes two days to do the a more stringent f-ing background check (regular check doesn't do fingerprints), why do I have to wait 7 to receive a firearm?

I think we have a leg to stand on based on the California case.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I think that the 7 days would be struck down, but the court would allow 2-3 days to do a background check for safety reasons. It would take care of the waiting period BS, and it would also put the state in a position, where they can't make it longer than that timeframe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom