Is the HQL still required to purchase handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I wish the site for checking on gun laws wasn't so hard to navigate.
    Blame the MGA and 310 years of contradictory and incomprehensible gun laws.

10 gauge guns on dredge boats

2010 Maryland Code
    NATURAL RESOURCES
    TITLE 4 - FISH AND FISHERIES
    Subtitle 10 - Oysters and Clams
    Section 4-1013 - Dredging regulations and prohibitions generally.​

(g) Firearms on dredge boats.- Subject to the laws relating to firearms, the captain, master or any person on board or having control of any dredge boat, may not have or permit to be kept on the dredge boat more than two shotguns not larger than a number ten gauge and using shot not larger than number one.

1715 maryland gun control

file:///C:/Users/Michael/Downloads/SSRN-id4319843.pdf

A provincial law enacted in 1715 comprehensively regulated servants and
    slaves and specifically provided-
    that no Negroe or other Slave within this province shall be
    permitted to Carry any Gun, or Any other Offensive weapon,
    from off their Masters Land, without License from their said
    Master; and if any Negroe or other slave shall presume soe to
    doe he shall be Lyable to be Carryed before a Justice of Peace
    And be whipt, and his Gun or other Offensive weapon shall be
    forfeited to him that shall seize the Same and Carry such Negroe
    soe Offending before the Justice of Peace.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm not aware of any one site that has all of the Maryland State firearms laws. What are you talking about?
    2A MD does a pretty good attempt, but I think Beebs is saying exactly what you are saying ... navigating it isn't all on one website, book or class: navigating all of MD's gun laws is near impossible

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Yet another way the MSP, MGA, Feds make it confusing to know every detail of the ever changing laws.

I wasn't sure, especially when they were trying to make it a crime to "transfer" your shotgun, 30-30 etc to your son, buddy etc to go hunting unless you went to an FFL to go through paperwork etc.

Same with , Or to let your wife use your .380 to practice with at the range, kill a perp in the house etc.

I just thought and apparently mistakenly so, that on the 77R and other forms, that question about is the purchaser buying the gun for themselves, as in if you say NO, it gets the flag as a straw purchase and is disallowed.

************** Disclaimer, NO one take my details on law as accurate, as can be seen in my statements above***********
    I get the gist of things, and when in doubt, I answer 100% in the person of ME, Myself and I. In other words, my answer is I ALWAYS am buying a gun for myself. Which of course is true 100% of the time. No other person's possession or transfer future use without a proper FFL transfer, is my intention for any purchase I make.
    rseymorejr, and anyone else.

In regards to "buying a gun for someone else"

If I were to see a long or hand gun in a store and wanted to buy it for someone else, wife, nephew, sis, friend, etc.

How would I legally do so as far as the paperwork goes? It has been said above, that it is not a straw purchase as long as the owner to be is not prohibited. Well, how does MSP etc verify this? Would I need to bring the recipient in and he, she, them need to show proof of HQL, pass the 77R and 4473 etc?

Fill in the missing pieces for me on how I could legally buy a weapon for someone else if I wanted to do so.
    From the MSP website:
    A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status.
    In reference to gifting a handgun, your son would need an HQL unless exempt, you can go to the state police barrack and do the transfer for free among family members.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    So, don't have an HQL and don't want one. I have a spotless record and I'm not prohibited Can I buy, in Maryland, a handgun that is 50+ years old?
    The handgun has to be a C&R as defined by Federal law, 50 years old is one stipulation and there are a few other situations where it can also be a C&R.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    2A MD does a pretty good attempt, but I think Beebs is saying exactly what you are saying ... navigating it isn't all on one website, book or class: navigating all of MD's gun laws is near impossible
    It is all in one website, Lexis Nexis has the entire Maryland State Statute and currently updated. People are either too lazy to use it and want to spoon fed, or they don't know how to use it and too afraid to ask.

It's very easy to navigate and actually look up the actual state statutes, instead of taking what a gunshop tells you as fact, when in fact it is complete BS.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes, if you are already somewhat familiar with MD law one can navigate it there. The average guy on the street won't know where to start. I just found something I was looking for by using it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I wish the site for checking on gun laws wasn't so hard to navigate.

Some think that that is deliberate.
    Some think that it's a result of incompetence.
    Some think that there's no reason both can't be true.

Visit your General Assembly, now in session, and make up your own mind.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It is all in one website, Lexis Nexis has the entire Maryland State Statute and currently updated. People are either too lazy to use it and want to spoon fed, or they don't know how to use it and too afraid to ask.

It's very easy to navigate and actually look up the actual state statutes, instead of taking what a gunshop tells you as fact, when in fact it is complete BS.
    They are also available at the Maryland General Assembly's website, albeit not in such a nice indexed order like LexisNexis.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They are also available at the Maryland General Assembly's website, albeit not in such a nice indexed order like LexisNexis.
    I prefer LexisNexis, because it does away with all of the strikethrough/bold/italics BS from the MGA website.

LexisNexis is also the source that the MGA and the bill writers use when looking at existing Maryland State Statutes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I prefer LexisNexis, because it does away with all of the strikethrough/bold/italics BS from the MGA website.

LexisNexis is also the source that the MGA and the bill writers use when looking at existing Maryland State Statutes.
    There is no strikethrough, etc. at the MGA website.

This is the part of the website that I am talking about. You have to click the "laws" link in the top banner.

I do agree with you though, the LexisNexis site is a little better because of the indexing, especially if you do not know what code section you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom