In an emergency, how quickly can you have a loaded firearm in your hands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How fast?

• 10 seconds or less

Votes: 140 42.7%
    • 30 seconds or less

Votes: 115 35.1%
    • 1 minute or less

Votes: 48 14.6%
    • 5 minutes or less

Votes: 10 3.0%
    • more than 5 minutes

Votes: 1 0.3%
    • I'm screwed.

Votes: 14 4.3%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    like 30seconds. Probably still too long.

After suggesting, I did it myself, in all fairness it took me about 13 seconds to have a loaded gun in hand and ready to use. Normally I have a gun here where I type, but as luck would have it, I didn't. Had to 'move smartly' to retrieve the next closest firearm.

Honestly was a tad under 10 seconds, but decided I should remove it from holster and truly 'make ready'. I counted all the 'o-crap, and make-ready' time, total of 13 seconds.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    well, 25 seconds of my time would be running down two flights of stairs and opening a safe so...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    So.. If an intruder got in ...in either/or.. You had to pass him. ?

yeah, pretty much. I've been procrastinating on a solution for that. Everything stays in the safe at the moment, because of the kids.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    1-3 seconds depending on whether I am asleep or awake. Awake on the farm I am always carrying the DW 9mm w/5 mags so 1-1.3 seconds is my known draw and fire time from competition. When asleep if the motion sensors go off I give myself a second or two to wake up and move my hand about 15 inches to either the DW 9 or the G17 under my pillows.
    WV house passed the permitless CCW yesterday, Yea!. Senate will pass it and if the Governor vetos it, i only requires a simple majority to override and the house vote was 66-31 with some party members switching sides. What it really means is you can open carry anyway but now if it gets covered by a coat or garment you are still legal.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Much like my sex life, 2 seconds....

At least you have one. It's been so long since I had a slice of pie that I forgot which arm it's under. j/k A friend used that line on me a long time ago and I've been waiting for a chance to use it before I forgot it. :lol2:

I don't have a lot of firearms stashed around the house (thanks to that darn boating accident), but I do have a couple of razor sharp swords near every point of entry. Forcing your way into my house will cause a lot of leakage and possibly the loss of an appendage or two. Silently. Except maybe for the screaming.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Someone please send this 'drill' out in about a week from now. Mark your calendar, and send it. Or for most of you just drill it.

Goal is 5 seconds or less = excellent.

5-10 seconds = good.

10-15 seconds = fair.

15-20 seconds = needs improvement.

20-30 seconds = needs/training & more improvement.

30+ = good luck to you. Re-read this entire thread, and start training immediately. :)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Adjusted for "everyone":

1-10 seconds =

Mickey_Mouse.png

10-30 seconds =

latest

30- 60 seconds =

daffy_duck-1048.jpg

1-3 minutes =

4352026-4927658174_981e6cd63e_z.jpg

3+ minutes =

images

I'm sorry, but you would be dead if a violent intruder attempted to break into your home and meant to kill you.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    After reading this thread, I made my kids dig hasty fighting positions in front of the entrances to my house and pull security so i'm good now. I've heard some complaining about the cold and numb appendages through the closed and sandbagged doors but I think it builds character.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have one in the bedroom and one in the basement so I have one at either end of the main door.

The bedroom has a Fas1 safe. Need another for the basement.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    We haven't done this drill in over a year.

If you've never done this before, I highly recommend you take this seriously and try it now.

If you've done it before, doing it again is a good check on your access and ability to respond.

How quickly can you get a loaded firearm in your hands and ready for use?

Safety first.

GO!
    Just saw this. My time 1 second

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads