In an emergency, how quickly can you have a loaded firearm in your hands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How fast?

• 10 seconds or less

Votes: 140 42.7%
    • 30 seconds or less

Votes: 115 35.1%
    • 1 minute or less

Votes: 48 14.6%
    • 5 minutes or less

Votes: 10 3.0%
    • more than 5 minutes

Votes: 1 0.3%
    • I'm screwed.

Votes: 14 4.3%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Dec 31, 2012
    It's concerning that there are 19 people that answered the poll that are within 5 minutes of obtaining a SD firearm or are "screwed".

Given the response in my 'burglary' poll, I'd say most people here do not feel truly threatened within their own home, which is not a bad thing. Maybe your keeping the gun within arms reach based on news reports, neighborhood conditions or for peace of mind.
    Most (60+%) responders have never experienced a break in and the psychological baggage that comes with it, so a firearm in the safe in the basement is not unreasonable for some people, even if it means it is 5+ minutes away.
    Different circumstances for different people.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Given the response in my 'burglary' poll, I'd say most people here do not feel truly threatened within their own home, which is not a bad thing. Maybe your keeping the gun within arms reach based on news reports, neighborhood conditions or for peace of mind.
    Most (60+%) responders have never experienced a break in and the psychological baggage that comes with it, so a firearm in the safe in the basement is not unreasonable for some people, even if it means it is 5+ minutes away.
    Different circumstances for different people.

Agreed and well said. Mine is available quickly because we are an easy target, lots of break ins in the area, and just plain peace of mind.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Pretty much have it on my side at all times now at home even when working out in the yard. At night, it's just a reach away.

Have had some wonderful conversations with neighbors while washing the truck :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sometimes people become easy targets because they simply want to relax. Especially in their homes.

Funny how that mentality changes when you wake up to a stranger in your hallway heading towards your bedroom at 5 in the morning.

Or when you hear someone trying to break thru your front door when your home alone.

*My timing stands, 5 seconds or less. Anywhere in the house or on my property.

Dec 31, 2012
    Funny how that mentality changes when you wake up to a stranger in your hallway heading towards your bedroom at 5 in the morning. ...

Indeed it does.
    I take prudent precautions based on past experience without living a life of constant worry.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Indeed it does.
    I take prudent precautions based on past experience without living a life of constant worry.

Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

Man is pulled over by officer. Officer says you were speeding, and I see that gun on your hip; anything you want to tell me?
    Man says, there's also a shotgun in the back seat, and a rifle in the trunk. Officer asks, what are you afraid of? Man replies, absolutely nothing. :)

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I went through one this morning walking the dog. You would have though I walked into a swarm of bees. Crying like a transvestite at a Barbra Streisand concert I tell ya.

One of my best friends totally freaks out if he walks into a spider web. He doesn't really stop until he can get in the shower. He says "spiders can't swim". At my house, I can't take two steps at night on my deck without walking through another damn spider web.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    One of my best friends totally freaks out if he walks into a spider web. He doesn't really stop until he can get in the shower. He says "spiders can't swim". At my house, I can't take two steps at night on my deck without walking through another damn spider web.

I try to pre-empt the writhing by walking like Frankenstein with my arms straight out in front of me lowering them up and down. Lol

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    I try to pre-empt the writhing by walking like Frankenstein with my arms straight out in front of me lowering them up and down. Lol

When I go on a late night walk in the neighborhood with my wife, we found that spiderwebs get quickly rebuilt, connecting the trees on the left of the path to those on the right. I carry a 4-foot switch and probably look like I think I'm a samurai.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Funny how that mentality changes when you wake up to a stranger in your hallway heading towards your bedroom at 5 in the morning.

A coworker couldn't have cared less about the 2A prior to 1 October. She just approached me a couple of months back, asking how her sister could get a gun. A police-verified (snow footprints) stalker had been casing her home. Without an HQL and no timely chance of getting one and getting a pistol in her hands, at this point, best advice was a Wal Mart Rem 870. New advocate.

Silence&Rage

Feb 20, 2013
    MoCo
    It's a risk equation for me. Before kids I had accessible loaded, accessible firearms on both levels of the house. Now I have little fingers around and I've moved to a much safer neighborhood. So the risk equation changes. There are still loaded firearms and spare mags - just not as easily accessible.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A coworker couldn't have cared less about the 2A prior to 1 October. She just approached me a couple of months back, asking how her sister could get a gun. A police-verified (snow footprints) stalker had been casing her home. Without an HQL and no timely chance of getting one and getting a pistol in her hands, at this point, best advice was a Wal Mart Rem 870. New advocate.

Good for her. :thumbsup:

It's funny how self-preservation kicks in sometimes and overrides possible aversions.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

Could have advised her to get a relatively young C&R pistol... No HQL required and the 7 day wait time is accurate.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I just want gun owners to have the confidence and violence of action to use their guns.

That would be a huge dream there Blaster. Most gun owners practice at a static range firing one shot every 3 seconds and invest nothing in training in a dynamic situation. They feel that just being able to squeeze the trigger is going to get them through a violent encounter.

The second part is that most gun owners including a lot of former military guys, except those in certain specialties, don't know what or how to engage with violence of action.

I say this out of experience in both the classroom teaching and in classes I have taken. I wish the gun owners out there would invest in their training and learn how to truly fight with their guns instead of shooting with them. I certainly understand the guy that isn't really in it for self defense and casually plans to protect the family at home in an absolute emergency, for the guy that carries at home or outside of the home it is a must that they invest in some real training. A large majority of the ones I have seen become soup sandwiches under the slightest amount of stress, they could overcome this but don't keep training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom