• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    While I'm glad this bill was introduced and will be there on 2A Tuesday to lobby for it, at the same time we need to swing not just on home runs, but also for singles and doubles as well. What I mean by that is going for it all repealing SB281 is great, but I think bills chipping away on parts of it also need to be introduced. We need bills addressing magazine capacity, on features that define "assault weapons", on reducing HQL fees, on eliminating the HQL itself, on reducing the non-fee burdens of the HQL if the remainder stays in force, of expanding the scope of what G&S means, etc. I'm sure we could all think of a dozen or more ideas that would improve the climate here in our state even if the core of SB281 and G&S remains. We can take a bite of the apple this year, and take more bites next year. Remember before we can get Hogan's signature, it must first make it through the GA. I'm all for symbolic efforts, but we need practical legislation that can actually pass as well. That's not being a sell-out; that's just being realistic and pragmatic.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It's also important we protect the good thing we got from SB281, the privacy act for gun owners. It's scary how close Maryland got to having a New York style expo listing the names and addresses of gun owners.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Thank you Delegate Grammer!

It's also important we protect the good thing we got from SB281, the privacy act for gun owners. It's scary how close Maryland got to having a New York style expo listing the names and addresses of gun owners.

This was only possilbe due to voluntary(read forced) registration of new firearms purchases on the Maryland paperwok. The last time I purchased a firearm at a store I was to sign that little line that says I wanted to voluntarily register my firearm. I was informed that if I didn't I would be leaving with no firearm and cash in hand.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Thank you Delegate Grammer!

This was only possilbe due to voluntary(read forced) registration of new firearms purchases on the Maryland paperwok. The last time I purchased a firearm at a store I was to sign that little line that says I wanted to voluntarily register my firearm. I was informed that if I didn't I would be leaving with no firearm and cash in hand.

While that may be true (I don't know the answer to that), this kept that list private from the general public. Had it gone through the way they wanted, it would have opened up everyone's info to everyone.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    While that may be true (I don't know the answer to that), this kept that list private from the general public. Had it gone through the way they wanted, it would have opened up everyone's info to everyone.

Oh I'm not argueing the one benefit of SB281. I'm jsut saying that we shouldn't have forced registration is all.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    To be realistic, we need to remember that the 'registration' began with advent of 'regulated firearms' and form 77R, back in IIRC the mid 90s.

Understood. Maybe the form should allow us to actaully determine if we want to register our firearms. Personally I don't like that it feels forced yet they claim it's voluntary. But lets stop the thread high jacking.

Keep up the great work Delegate!

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Thank you. If this doesn't make it through do you think you could get a bill through to clarify that the OAL requirements of SB281 do not apply to federally regulated short barrel rifles, because that is causing major issues with the ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom