• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    sb281 made it illegal to use certain ammo, like ap in a crime. double illegal.

If I may speak freely, I think it's stupid to try to remove that. It's a criminal act. So what if it's double illegal? Are any of us going to be commiting criminal acts?

No, it just makes it look like we support criminals by trying to repeal a part of the law that targets criminals.

It also gives reps cover to vote against this bill since they can say "I"m pro-2a, but tough on domestic violence."

PLEASE, remove that part of the bill.

VRODcz

Dec 11, 2014
    Thank you so much but to be honest with you. I don't have a high hope in Maryland to pass that bill unless we secede from Maryland.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Correct - thanks. Not to thread jack but for those interested here is the link:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=02&id=sb0100&tab=subject3&ys=2015RS

Frankly, I like the separate even Bill better. It focuses the issue so well even a moron can understand it. Of course, it has to get out of committee. Let the anti's explain why self-defense shouldn't be good & substantial. :thumbsup:

Three pages vs forty-five. After a couple pages, they stop reading. Obamacare ring a bell?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    If I may speak freely, I think it's stupid to try to remove that. It's a criminal act. So what if it's double illegal? Are any of us going to be commiting criminal acts?

No, it just makes it look like we support criminals by trying to repeal a part of the law that targets criminals.

It also gives reps cover to vote against this bill since they can say "I"m pro-2a, but tough on domestic violence."

PLEASE, remove that part of the bill.

If matthew plinkertin had defended his home with an all copper bullet, or a green tip 5.56, or steel bird shot, or a future lead free ammo, he would have been charged under this staute.

food for thought.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    (b) [(1)] A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994,
    5 and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of State Police before August 1,
    6 1994, may:
    7 [(i)] (1) continue to possess [and transport] the assault pistol; or
    8 [(ii)] (2) while carrying a court order requiring the surrender of the

Why are we deleting the "transport" part? This would not allow a person to transport an assault pistol that they legally possessed prior to the assault pistol ban.

that part was added when sb281 broadened the assault pistol law to cover rifles. they are just undoing the language. md already has seperate law for pistol transport, but didnt for the rifles they were banning.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If matthew plinkertin had defended his home with an all copper bullet, or a green tip 5.56, or steel bird shot, or a future lead free ammo, he would have been charged under this staute.

food for thought.

Is Self Defense an affirmative defense to the charge?

I understand it's probally a poorly written law, but you have to understand the impact of perception.

When Jane Q Public hears that the bill will decriminalize using certain types of ammunition in a crime, it sounds bad, really bad in fact. Espeially since the media loves to focus on "war on women" themes.

I would hope the OP would consider changing that part. Perhaps instead of repealing it, change the law to say that a person who acts in self defense cannot be charged with the above. That way, it doesn't risk loosig support from women.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Three pages vs forty-five. After a couple pages, they stop reading. Obamacare ring a bell?

That only works for Dems reading Dems bills - you know, they have to pass it to find out what it says, and then realize that they eff'd it up later. Besides, Dems don't even start reading Repub's bills.

So I was referring to the minion voters - most of them (except the dead ones) can read three pages and may be bright enough to wonder why anyone in their right mind would object to clarifying that "self-defense" is a good and substantial reason. Anyway, enough thread jacking, just glad to see SB100 on the books.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Very happy with my new Reps so far. Cecil county should be proud. Del. Hornberger is a sponsor of Del. Grammer's bill to decriminalize guns, and Senator Norman is a sponsor of SB100 (wear and carry). :D

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Don't have time to go through it with a fine toothed comb today, but it looks like it is a step in the right direction. It doesn't get rid of everything that was FSA2013, but it is a step in the right direction. I really hope our legislators engage their brains, look at the statistics, and repeal most, hopefully all, of FSA2013. Actually, I take that back. There are a couple of things I like about FSA2013, Maybe all of 2% of it.

Came here looking for info on 2A Tuesday so I can work my calendar around it, and saw this thread title. Now I have some additional reading to do tonight.

If this is necessary, we're doomed.:whack:

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    Good luck. My wife and I have pretty much given up on Maryland and are hoping to move to North Carolina. I know were not alone out there. The liberals have destroyed this state.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Is Self Defense an affirmative defense to the charge?

I understand it's probally a poorly written law, but you have to understand the impact of perception.

When Jane Q Public hears that the bill will decriminalize using certain types of ammunition in a crime, it sounds bad, really bad in fact. Espeially since the media loves to focus on "war on women" themes.

I would hope the OP would consider changing that part. Perhaps instead of repealing it, change the law to say that a person who acts in self defense cannot be charged with the above. That way, it doesn't risk loosig support from women.

i dont disagree with you at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom