• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, some posters have used prints taken beyond 72 hours for a HQL and it worked.

So I guess you can make up your own mind. I'm simply pointing out what the web site says.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Does there exist a concise (should be sticky-ed!) breakdown of what is needed to obtain an HQL? Searched and the only relevant thread I found was here. Fifty nine pages is too much, Bob.

The MSP page on the matter is helpful enough, but their wording suggests that C&R holders might not need an HQL. I'm sure that only applies to a transaction involving a C&R handgun, but not for a modern pistol.

BTW, absolutely f*** O'Malley and sackless, spineless lemmings that passed this tripe.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    The MSP page on the matter is helpful enough, but their wording suggests that C&R holders might not need an HQL. I'm sure that only applies to a transaction involving a C&R handgun, but not for a modern pistol.

No one needs an HQL to buy a C&R gun. C&R holders still need an HQL to buy a modern handgun in Maryland.

Greisnir

Apr 22, 2015
    Application filed 04/14/2015.
    Showed no updates what so ever until today05/04/2015 when it suddenly went Active.
    Awaiting the arrival of the card.

BBossman1

Mar 11, 2009
    Kensington
    Submitted 04/06/15
    Active 04/27/15
    Card received 05/02/15

I was going to hold off applying until they included all my rights on one card, but I got a hankering for a new .45

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Does there exist a concise (should be sticky-ed!) breakdown of what is needed to obtain an HQL? Searched and the only relevant thread I found was here. Fifty nine pages is too much, Bob.

BTW, absolutely f*** O'Malley and sackless, spineless lemmings that passed this tripe.

Bump. Still looking for some guidance here. As I understand, I need to have the fingerprints done first before applying. LiveScan prints are good for 30 days. How do I reflect the fact that I've had my prints done in the online app? Again, way out of the loop here. Any help appreciated.

jb1776

Apr 16, 2015
    Application\License Fee Completed Apr/14/15
    MVA Photo Completed May/01/15
    LiveScan Completed May/01/15
    Training Completed May/01/15
    NICS Incomplete
    METERS Completed May/01/15
    CJIS Incomplete
    MAFSS Completed May/01/15
    JIS Incomplete
    DJS Not Applicable May/01/15
    DHMH Completed Apr/15/15

I sent an email asking about the incomplete items, mentioning I got the CJIS letter 5 days after I applied saying I was good. I was told that doesn't have anything to do with the background investigation they do, it was just a letter generated when I got my fingerprints done. They have 30 days to finish, thank you for your patience.

tnava68

Apr 24, 2015
    yay finally some progress

Application\License Fee Completed Apr/17/15
    MVA Photo Completed May/06/15
    LiveScan Completed May/06/15
    Training Completed May/06/15
    NICS Incomplete
    METERS Incomplete
    CJIS Incomplete
    MAFSS Completed May/06/15
    JIS Incomplete
    DJS Not Applicable May/06/15
    DHMH Completed Apr/20/15

actually licensing had called me yesterday, seems I submitted the wrong page from my DD214 (didn't have character of service listed). He was really nice and stayed on the phone until he confirmed he received my email with the proper form.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I had some minor progress the other day, still not as much as I would have liked. I keep hoping

Application\License Fee Completed Apr/15/15
    MVA Photo Completed May/05/15
    LiveScan Completed May/05/15
    Training Incomplete
    NICS Incomplete
    METERS Incomplete
    CJIS Incomplete
    MAFSS Completed May/05/15
    JIS Incomplete
    DJS Not Applicable May/05/15
    DHMH Completed Apr/16/15

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Bump. Still looking for some guidance here. As I understand, I need to have the fingerprints done first before applying. LiveScan prints are good for 30 days. How do I reflect the fact that I've had my prints done in the online app? Again, way out of the loop here. Any help appreciated.

Here is what I wrote on another HQL thread after I got my training-exempt HQL - would need more work to be sticky-worthy.

First, MD State police page on HQL:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Step 1: Figure out if you are training exempt or not. If not, you need to get the training done

Step 2: Get Livescan (fingerprint-based background check) done. MD SP info for that is found here:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ivision/MainLicensingPage/Fingerprinting.aspx

There is important information/codes on that page that you need when you fill out the Livescan application - print it out and take it with you.

From the page above, a list of private and public Livescan service providers directory is here:

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml

No MSP, but county sheriffs and certain cities offer livescan. You have 72 hours from the time the livescan is done to submit the online license application.

Step 3: Create a MyLicense account, starting from here:

https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx

Step 4: Create and submit a MyLicense license application appropriate for how you are applying (Training exempt, etc). Depending on how you are applying, you may be providing firearms model/serial/number/barrel length, or uploading documents. You can start an application and come back later to submit it - just remember you have 72 hours. Also, the page says to use Internet Explorer browser to access MyLicense - some people have not been able to submit unless they used IE. YMMV.

Step 5: Wait 16-20 calendar days (as of 2015/04/25) for the application to go live. There is a status page for your application - most people here recently have seen that 2 of the lines update almost immediately, and the rest don't ever update until the license goes live. Card will come in the mail in a few days.

Last edited:

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Anyone know the difference between "Incomplete" and "Unchecked" for the HQL? Seems as though most of mine are "Incomplete", have been since May 5.

jb1776

Apr 16, 2015
    Same here, the state police told me that they were still completing the investigation. I emailed them asking if the needed additional info.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Just had a call from the MSP, apparently my hold up was my serial from my pre 2013 handgun was wrong. Since I don't have it at work, the lady was nice enough to accept my Texas Hunter's Education course card. Just had to email her a scan of it. She said my app should be completed today and doesn't see any issues that would deny it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom