• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • igotyoubeat

Apr 27, 2014
    Must be the awesome MSP IT dept. Sorry can't help you there. They are probably using Windows 95 :lol2:

Looks like the error was on my part; the user names are case sensitive. When I created my account the iPad must have automatically made the first letter a capital. Not a good design on the IT dept.

After figuring the issue out I logged in and started the application for the HQL. Got the HQL almost immediately; I'm guessing there will be a card in the mail. Getting another pistol (ruger LC9) for pocket carry.

Since getting the permit I have not CCW'ed ...
    Gonna start incorporating it into my daily activities in the next few days.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Do I need to take the 16 hour course?

If an individual is a certified NRA instructor for basic pistol do i have to take the 16 hour course for the handgun permit or not and what would I need to submit for a waiver

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    If an individual is a certified NRA instructor for basic pistol do i have to take the 16 hour course for the handgun permit or not and what would I need to submit for a waiver

Go to MSP's website and apply to be a MSP Qualified/Licensed/Certified/Registered Handgun Instructor.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    As a LEO why would you apply to get a Maryland permit, especially since you would fall under LEOSA?

Not all LEOs meet the requirements of LEOSA. In fact, I would not be surprised if it was as few as half.

Additionally, a LEO can lose his LEOSA permit any number of ways, leaving him/her unable to "lawfully" exercise their inalienable right to self defense.

Profoundly ironic, actually.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Well MD laws allow a police officer to carry anywhere. LEOSA comes in to play more so outside the state.

MD law does not allow a LEO to carry anywhere, when they are off duty. They still have to adhere to the same regulations and limitations on time/place that MD carry permit holders do. The one exception is schools, as they were exempted (with requirements) under FSA2013 after three attempts to add the amendment to do so.

LEOSA, likewise, does not allow a LEO to carry a firearm anywhere. LEOs still have to adhere to state time/place restrictions, just like a regular carry holder.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    MD law does not allow a LEO to carry anywhere, when they are off duty. They still have to adhere to the same regulations and limitations on time/place that MD carry permit holders do. The one exception is schools, as they were exempted (with requirements) under FSA2013 after three attempts to add the amendment to do so.

LEOSA, likewise, does not allow a LEO to carry a firearm anywhere. LEOs still have to adhere to state time/place restrictions, just like a regular carry holder.

The biggest victory about LEOSA was the fact that it allows police officer to carry from state to state.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    As a LEO why would you apply to get a Maryland permit, especially since you would fall under LEOSA?

Little confusion here, lemme try to explain....

LEOSA (public law 108) was created because up until then, current active police officers could not travel into other states carrying.

LEOSA allows retired and those separated in good standing (minimum of 10 years cumulative, verifiable experience) to apply for a carry permit good throughout the USA.

A current active police officer does not need to apply for LEOSA status because they are automatically covered when under out of state travel.

Now, a current active Maryland police officer can apply for a wear and carry permit and get one. Why you ask? Well I will tell you.

The most common reason is usually for a medical condition.
    Many departments have officers turn in their gun and creds if they get a medical procedure that puts them in a non work status or maybe a light duty status where they are temporarily not performing "Law enforcement officer duties".
    This is not a punishment, but for reason I can't answer, it happens.
    Having a permit still allows the cop to carry legally.

Another is to simply carry a different pistol. Not all agencies allow cops to carry any weapon that they want off duty. Having a permit let's someone carry what they like and not to have to do it "Under color of their credentials".

Hope that sheds a little bit of light. :thumbsup:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

An off duty LEO can usually carry in a court house.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Speaking of the application, has anyone else had an issue with putting in an e mail address on the app, it highlights in red and you get the pop up window that says
    "Please enter a valid email address e.g. name@somewhere.com"?

What's the work-around to it?

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I recieved this email I am on a Mailing list i guess, I will be considering CCW at a much later date until i get a grasp on things related to it. Have allot to learn...

Attachments

• MSP Licensing Maryland gov_20140708_120919.pdf
      52.1 KB · Views: 204

igotyoubeat

Apr 27, 2014
    Speaking of the application, has anyone else had an issue with putting in an e mail address on the app, it highlights in red and you get the pop up window that says "Please enter a valid email address e.g. name@somewhere.com"? What's the work-around to it?

I sent my application in with the red emails; I still had my application processed and approved.

To fix it is simple; depending on the version of Adobe you have you can use the text write in feature which allows you to put a text box onto the adobe form. However in my situation I sent it in with the red showing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom