• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    why are the model 340pd and 340 so much more expensive? Is it just because of how light they are? My pf9 is about an ounce heavier

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I really urge you to scout around for a "classic" Smith & Wesson "pre-lock" snubbie in .357--like a Model 66 in "K frame" or a 586 or 686 in the slightly heavier "L" frame.

In 2002 S&W cow-towed to the Clinton White House and put internal locks on their revolvers. They are easy to recognize because they have a little "keyhole" (commonly known as the Hillary Hole) just above the cylinder release. Try to find an earlier "pre-lock"--it will be more valuable to own and to pass on in your family.

These older S&W's show up in local gun stores regularly and can be a good bargain compared to buying new. PM me and I can tell you about a couple gun stores that had some of these nice older S&W revolvers this past week.

Every so often a nice revolver shows up in the classifieds here. This is a nice .38 special model 38 aluminum frame that I bought on the classifieds just last week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      110.3 KB · Views: 250

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I really urge you to scout around for a "classic" Smith & Wesson "pre-lock" snubbie in .357--like a Model 66 in "K frame" or a 586 or 686 in the slightly heavier "L" frame.

In 2002 S&W cow-towed to the Clinton White House and put internal locks on their revolvers. They are easy to recognize because they have a little "keyhole" (commonly known as the Hillary Hole) just above the cylinder release. Try to find an earlier "pre-lock"--it will be more valuable to own and to pass on in your family.

These older S&W's show up in local gun stores regularly and can be a good bargain compared to buying new. PM me and I can tell you about a couple gun stores that had some of these nice S&W revolvers this past week.

I read that and thought maybe a colt or something. But again I really ewant 357/38

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    why are the model 340pd and 340 so much more expensive? Is it just because of how light they are? My pf9 is about an ounce heavier

not much to keep it real.

I haven't handeled the M&P 340 but it has a steel cylinder which weighs 2 oz more then the 340 PD. Word is the M&P 340 has better sights but I can't confirm because I've only helf the 340 PD never the M&P340.

the couple OZ are not going to make a difference when carrying but might make a difference when blasting the big boys!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I read that and thought maybe a colt or something. But again I really ewant 357/38

The SP101 is sturdy enough that my wife shot full power 158 grain loads out of it the first time she ever shot a revolver. She didn't complain or cry. There was some recoil of course but she managed it just fine. The S&W snubs will be serious bruisers if you try that. Nothing is built stronger/sturdier than a Ruger revolver.

Oh yeah and no internal lock issue to worry about.

If you actually plan to shoot it, you won't want to buy a lightweight .357. Why buy a .357 if you can only deal with shooting it with .38's? I shot your KelTec, that is a bruiser but not near what one of those lightweight S&W's would be in .357.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The SP101 is sturdy enough that my wife shot full power 158 grain loads out of it the first time she ever shot a revolver. She didn't complain or cry. There was some recoil of course but she managed it just fine. The S&W snubs will be serious bruisers if you try that. Nothing is built stronger/sturdier than a Ruger revolver.

Oh yeah and no internal lock issue to worry about.

If you actually plan to shoot it, you won't want to buy a lightweight .357. Why buy a .357 if you can only deal with shooting it with .38's? I shot your KelTec, that is a bruiser but not near what one of those lightweight S&W's would be in .357.

I want the flexibility of having a second calibre to shoot. The keltec is a brusier but carrying that thing is amazing. I typically shoot 2-3 mags at a time and no more. For self defense, amazing gun. I have over 500 rounds in that thing with crap ammo and never a jam.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

These older S&W's show up in local gun stores regularly and can be a good bargain compared to buying new. PM me and I can tell you about a couple gun stores that had some of these nice older S&W revolvers this past week.

Every so often a nice revolver shows up in the classifieds here. This is a nice .38 special model 38 aluminum frame that I bought on the classifieds just last week.

Wow thats the one you PMed me and told me you just snagged?? Thats a real beauty brol!!!!!! Congrats :party29:

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    perrtttty gun.....too bad its not in 357 as well....I dunno is requesting it in 357/38 a major thing? Ill shoot 38 out of it, I just wanted the option

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    perrtttty gun.....too bad its not in 357 as well....I dunno is requesting it in 357/38 a major thing? Ill shoot 38 out of it, I just wanted the option

Yes, it is excellent to have the option of .38sp for practice and .357 for carry. Hard to find any other gun that gives you that option without swapping something out.

The model I posted in the pic above is not a fully covered hammer. It's hard to see but the hammer sits in a channel and the hammer can be pulled down into single action if needed. This "shrouded hammer" model is specifically designed to be fired from INSIDE a coat pocket without fear of the hammer getting snagged on the pocket lining,

If you like this model, look for a S&W 649 which is the same as the one in my picture, only in .38sp/.357.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

Both of my SP101's are .357, that will give you the flexibility of 2 additional calibers (.357/.38) to add to your existing 9 mm option. The invite stands you can shoot them both at the Dottrio Event on 4/26.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    They get even more purty. Here's my nickel S&W Model 19 in .357, from a North Carolina pawn shop via Gunbroker. It is basically an antique because it is "pinned and recessed". If you are looking at older S&W revolvers, google the "pinned and recessed" explanations and grab one of these "P&R" models if you spot one. You'll never regret owning one.

The majority of Model 19s that you run across are blued. The nickel ones are harder to find, but a 19 is another good choice no matter what the finish is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      108.4 KB · Views: 230

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Sp101 2.25 .357. I could have sold you a like new one a few months ago for a very nice price. Built like tanks with great fit and finish. If I were to buy another revolver I would buy it back in a heart beat.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I missed the word 'carry' in your OP.

Since you have all those other 9mm's, I'd stick with a 9mm revolver; there are a few nice ones out there - but a 38/357 will serve you well, just more expensive.

I was thinking 9mm revolver but I haven't heard great things about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom