Hello from Harford County/Baltimore County.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon

Nov 13, 2013
    Hey everyone, I just turned 21 years old and had a major change in views over the past couple years. I used to be afraid of firearms and thought they were inherently evil. Now that I have studied and recognized the positives they have done for people and what the 2nd Amendment means I am interested in my first purchase.

I am certainly NOT an expert by any means, with only basic knowledge. I was just wondering, there is sort of a lack of clarity with the new October 1 gun laws and I am not sure what steps to take to purchase a handgun, or even what varieties I am limited to as far as the law goes. As I stated, I feel moderately comfortable around firearms and have shot shotguns/rifles before. I believe the course and such that I have to take to receive the HQL (I believe it is called) will help me improve my comfort and safety around pistols.

So my main question is, what are the first steps I should take to acquisition of said firearm? Thank you for your input.

Also, the Gun Bunker from PA forwarded me to this website, so thanks to them and I appreciate them dealing with a noob. :party29:

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Welcome to the forum! You need to get a "Handgun Qualification License" (HQL) in order to be able to purchase a regulated firearm in Maryland. You would need to attend an HQL class and then get fingerprinted ("Live-Scan"). Next submit your application on-line at: www.mdsp.org

Once you get your HQL you can legally purchase a regulated firearm in Maryland. Good luck!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    All noobs welcome! :) Check the IP forum for training vendors, assuming you do not have a hunting safety course under your belt and are not otherwise exempt from the training requirement. As long as you don't have a criminal record the HQL process isn't too bad - although despised by most of us here as another infringement. You might try calling Freestate Range in White Marsh (off of Rt. 43), and ask them when is the next time they are sponsoring an HQL class with one of the IP's. Nice people, and good facility. They also have rental guns you can try, but if you haven't shot before you might want to wait until after you take the class for some safe handling/shooting advice.

Mattk21009

Jun 8, 2013
    Harford County
    Welcome aboard Jon! As you can see from my join date and post count I am newer to this forum as well. I live in harford county and go to freestate and H and M (when i don't have the time to get down to white marsh) fairly regularly. If you wanted to hook up just PM me. I'd be happy to introduce you to some of the basics if you like.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 147

jon

Nov 13, 2013
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will actively look in to getting my HQL and such. Hopefully all goes well.

Anyone in Harford County know a good place to go?

jon

Nov 13, 2013
    Welcome aboard Jon! As you can see from my join date and post count I am newer to this forum as well. I live in harford county and go to freestate and H and M (when i don't have the time to get down to white marsh) fairly regularly. If you wanted to hook up just PM me. I'd be happy to introduce you to some of the basics if you like.

Thanks a lot. Will consider that. What part are you from (town-wise)?

jon

Nov 13, 2013
    Welcome to the forum! You need to get a "Handgun Qualification License" (HQL) in order to be able to purchase a regulated firearm in Maryland. You would need to attend an HQL class and then get fingerprinted ("Live-Scan"). Next submit your application on-line at: www.mdsp.org

Once you get your HQL you can legally purchase a regulated firearm in Maryland. Good luck!

Is there any particular order, like if I have time can I do the fingerprints before the class?

Also any idea the cost of the class? EDIT: I see your signature. Question answered.

jon

Nov 13, 2013

Do you have to demonstrate ability to shoot at the course or is it just a classroom setting?

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Gear Store[/FONT][/FONT]

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Is there any particular order, like if I have time can I do the fingerprints before the class?

Also any idea the cost of the class? EDIT: I see your signature. Question answered.

Don't do the fingerprinting until you are ready to submit the application. The live scan fingerprinting is only good for 30 days.

jon

Nov 13, 2013
    I am also a noob. I saw Bob at Horst and McCann 11/19. Good class. I just hope my HQL comes back quickly so I can take my guns home!!!

Good Luck!!!

Plan to take with a family member. I am a little intimidated but it should be interesting and informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom