• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    steel drums are cool! yeah, zeke didnt go for subgun clays....even with friendly and polite suppressers on them....

i'll be there, freezing my undersized @$$ off, as usual. girlfriend will probably be there bangin away too. she's got her anniversary present to play with (a tactical mildot scope for her .270)

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Just bought two 440 round tins of 7.62x54r for the Mosin and 2 cans of 1,224 rounds of 7.62x25 for the vz-52. I think I'll have plenty for the shoot. Probabally should get some .223 to feed the AC-556. :D

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Just bought two 440 round tins of 7.62x54r for the Mosin and 2 cans of 1,224 rounds of 7.62x25 for the vz-52. I think I'll have plenty for the shoot. Probabally should get some .223 to feed the AC-556. :D

how much was the 7.62x54R and whered you get it from?

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Here you go Redneck 17.
    Just don't buy any until they ship my order. (Just kidding)

A762x54FMJ Russian 7.62x54R Lead Core Light Ball

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_7.62x54R_Lead_Core_Light_Ball.html
    a762x54fmj.jpg

440rd can: $69.95
    440rd can: (2 or more) $66.95

I love AIM! :party29:;)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Picked up a SMLE last week, now I just have to get some decent 303 for her to eat, so far privi SP doesn't shoot all that well, Im still working up handloads, but some of that cheap POF might work for "mad minute" blasting fun:D

Attachments

• IMAGE_019.jpg
      IMAGE_019.jpg
      96.3 KB · Views: 175

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Nice Stocks. I use Remington Brass (Typically but I do have S&B & Winchester brass) with a 180 grain Round Soft Point remington rounds with 40 grains of 4064 IMR for my .303, seems like it shoots well but I want to crony it.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Picked up a SMLE last week, now I just have to get some decent 303 for her to eat, so far privi SP doesn't shoot all that well, Im still working up handloads, but some of that cheap POF might work for "mad minute" blasting fun:D

Sweet No4 MkII !!!! Does the ser.# start with PF?
    POF is just good for the bullet. Pull it, dump powder and fire the primer. All POF is corrosive!!
    ATB

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    POF is just good for the bullet. Pull it, dump powder and fire the primer. All POF is corrosive!!
    ATB

Big deal? Just run some windex down the barrel when you're done shooting and it will neutralize the salts... Or don't buy the corrosive ammo out there...more for me :party29:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    ATB

I think you will find that lots of us shoot corrosive ammo on a regular basis.

Personally I only shoot it in bolt actions b/c its too much of a PITA to clean Semi's that thoroughly after each shoot....but a bolt action is easy...clean the bolt, 50/50 windex/water solution down the barrel to neutralize the salts and then clean as normal.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Never have been an old gun kinda person, what does this corrosive ammo do to the weapon?

Well it's not really corrosive ammo....

It's actually corrosive primers usually. If I recall correctly, the powder has salts in it and if left in the barrel mositure will cause the salts to corrode the barrel. Meaning it will rust. Depending on where you live and the climate it will determine how disasterous the long term storage of a barrel with the primer powder sitting in it will be. Places like Arizona with little or no moisture in the air will prolong the life of a barrel because the water wont bond with the salts. They will remain dormant as long as there is no water.

Interestingly enough, the best way to clean barrel shot with corrosive "ammo" is with straight water. Then clean normally.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yes, the model# is No4 MK2 (F), then 12/54 PF337XXX
    303, any insight or history you might have for this rifle would be appreciated, as I haven't spent a lot of time reading about british rifles, but am kind of a history geek, and like to research each milsurps life story.

I was very lucky to find it in as good a shape as it was, I only added a sling. I have loved the 303 cartridge since I first fired a no5 jungle carbine about 10 years ago, very light recoil, but efficient with a decent punch. I just had trouble finding a clean No4 or No5, then there she was, not a single scratch or dent, the metal was perfect, the barrel and bolt face had 0 copper, or marks of any kind, and the underside of the bolt barely had any marks from cycling, It didn't look like it was fired more than once or twice, and the trigger has actually smoothed out after 100 rounds through it. I know the POF ammo is corrosive, and have learned to deal with corrosive ammo mostly in 7.62x54 (windex, then solvent, then oil. Ammonia neutralizes mercuric salts that attract moisture, act as an electrolyte and rust the crap out of anything it touches), I might just avoid surplus entirely in this rifle and shoot handloads, but it is so much fun to do the flip, click, boom X 10 as fast as I can accurately do, and pricey match bullets (what it seems to function and shoot best) dissapear all to quickly. It seems like the last shoot started and was over in a matter of minutes, but It will probably take me another month to reload what myself and my brother shot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom