• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chiteshew

Mar 2, 2014
    Parkville
    Enjoyed my visit to Freestate. They provide a short, but informative overview on firearm safety to new shooters. Good idea.

The staff seemed to get a bit flustered when things got busy, but were still pleasant. Did not enjoy paying $30 for 9mm fmj (box of 50) when .40 S&W went for $23.

Would definitely go back.

They do charge a bit much for ammo, but they always have .22 and the other stuff can be found everywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I need to renew at Freestate, let it expire this winter as I was not shooting much. Really like the range. But, their safety leaves a little to be desired. I've been swept there a couple of times and not by hand guns but rifles. Not a good feeling. I've shot a couple of times this winter at Cont Arms since they are close and they are much better than they used to be. Ziggy(Gerald) no longer has anything to do with the range which is a big plus. He is on a short rope with the owner I understand.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    A salesman at Continental told me it isn't worth spending the money for suppressors that can be disassembled, because you don't have to clean them.

That said, never had any issues when I went there to shoot.

If it was a .22 can the salesman was only partially right. Depends on how much you shoot. .22 is dirty and will lead up a can Though cans can be cleaned w/o taking apart and those are cheaper. So maybe he was trying to save you some money. If you shoot FA you really need a can that comes apart. The R&R cans they carry for under $300 are pretty nice and made in Glen Burnie.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Sorry - forgot to mention - it is a great range for hood-rats - I have seen more crazy stuff there than any other range in Md.

I've seen a fair number at Freestate also so I guess it is just a matter of when one goes. Cont does run a tighter ship than FS which bothers some people but I feel safer there as there is always an RSO on duty. Overall I do prefer FS.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    I just renewed my membership at FreeState...great place, IMHO.

I have never felt unsafe there...the staff is attentive and professional...and the shooters have always seemed to be well-behaved.

Disclaimer: I generally go on week-days, so I don't have any experience with the weekend and evening crowds. Also, it's the only range I've shot at (I did check out H&M in Bel Air, and was not impressed), so I can't compare it.

I have encountered a lot of noise and yelling/whistles at times...when local LEOs are doing quals testing/training. But that's OK with me... :)

My $0.02...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I just renewed my membership at FreeState...great place, IMHO.

I have never felt unsafe there...the staff is attentive and professional...and the shooters have always seemed to be well-behaved.

Disclaimer: I generally go on week-days, so I don't have any experience with the weekend and evening crowds. Also, it's the only range I've shot at (I did check out H&M in Bel Air, and was not impressed), so I can't compare it.

I have encountered a lot of noise and yelling/whistles at times...when local LEOs are doing quals testing/training. But that's OK with me... :)

My $0.02...
    Go on a Saturday night around 8pm ;)

That's no knock on the company, just a select group of clientele ;)

BaltimoreLou

Just Learning and enjoyin
    May 1, 2011
    White Marsh
    Went to freestate when they first opened and Randy and the crew impressed me so much that when I came back to the area and saw how much it had grown I had to bring my friends. Now it's Sunday tradition, best friend just got a lovely Xds and Randy even hooked up a deal. Got Trent to paint a weapon and looking trying to figure out if two best friends can get a family membership.. Love the range and super friendly people.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I went yesterday to check the sights on a pistol Freestate had installed for me about two weeks ago. I was expecting to have to wait in the mid-afternoon. No problem. They were busy but no wait. Good mix of people on the range. All acting safely. Lots of counter help. In and out with no hang ups. Got a great deal on ammo too: 2 boxes of 45 and a box of 9, plus 2 targets for $42 total. I told the fella twice that didn't sound right - didn't sound like enough. He insisted it was, that they were running a special, so who am I to argue. I am a member, but am not biased, they just offer a good range experience. The sights were good to go - well they didn't make me shoot any better but that's not the pistol's fault :lol2:

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    If it was a .22 can the salesman was only partially right. Depends on how much you shoot. .22 is dirty and will lead up a can Though cans can be cleaned w/o taking apart and those are cheaper. So maybe he was trying to save you some money. If you shoot FA you really need a can that comes apart. The R&R cans they carry for under $300 are pretty nice and made in Glen Burnie.

His exact words were, "..you don't have to clean them."

It may be that he was dumbing down his answers to make a sale based on what he thought I could afford given his 30-second summation of me as a potential customer. Either way, he sounded like a fool.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I went yesterday to check the sights on a pistol Freestate had installed for me about two weeks ago. I was expecting to have to wait in the mid-afternoon. No problem. They were busy but no wait. Good mix of people on the range. All acting safely. Lots of counter help. In and out with no hang ups. Got a great deal on ammo too: 2 boxes of 45 and a box of 9, plus 2 targets for $42 total. I told the fella twice that didn't sound right - didn't sound like enough. He insisted it was, that they were running a special, so who am I to argue. I am a member, but am not biased, they just offer a good range experience. The sights were good to go - well they didn't make me shoot any better but that's not the pistol's fault :lol2:
    ack, ninja avatar change, didnt recognize you :ninja:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    ack, ninja avatar change, didnt recognize you :ninja:

The legislative session is over (well it was actually over before it started) so the old avatar is now expired. Want to by some poster board cheap? :D

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    I didn't really enjoy my experience when I first got there. Rolled up with my AR to shoot. It has an ACOG TA31RCO on it and a 45 degree mounted T-1. I'm younger (i was 21 at the time) and I think I got profiled as a "mommy/daddy gives me money" kinda thing. I've worked since I was 12 starting on a tree farm. I save cash for toys. But their noses went right up in the air and treated me like I was a dick. That continued while they checked my weapon over and ammo selection. Which was weird to me...maybe I was reading to much in to that...but I dont know. Just know that a little customer service might be in need there. Maybe they had a bad day, who knows. But I havent been back
    That being said, range was safe, clean, and well lit. plenty of lanes, but high prices.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    I didn't really enjoy my experience when I first got there. Rolled up with my AR to shoot. It has an ACOG TA31RCO on it and a 45 degree mounted T-1. I'm younger (i was 21 at the time) and I think I got profiled as a "mommy/daddy gives me money" kinda thing. I've worked since I was 12 starting on a tree farm. I save cash for toys. But their noses went right up in the air and treated me like I was a dick. That continued while they checked my weapon over and ammo selection. Which was weird to me...maybe I was reading to much in to that...but I dont know. Just know that a little customer service might be in need there. Maybe they had a bad day, who knows. But I havent been back
    That being said, range was safe, clean, and well lit. plenty of lanes, but high prices.

They check everyone's gear, not a big deal.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Sounds like he had an issue with their attitude while checking his gear, not the fact that they were checking it

Yeah I know, I consider freestate my "home," range and have never had a problem. Want attitude check out continental arms in Timonium. We all are taught not to judge a book by its cover, at least most of us, but we all do it because we're human.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yeah I know, I consider freestate my "home," range and have never had a problem. Want attitude check out continental arms in Timonium. We all are taught not to judge a book by its cover, at least most of us, but we all do it because we're human.

Same here. I haven't had an issue with attitudes at freestate. But any individual can act any way at a given time. Who knows, that person might not work there anymore. The check in, check out process has always been seamless for me.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    At MSAR, I've never had a weapon checked. Maybe because I show up with my own eye, ears, ammo, and targets. Or because they know I carry a retired badge. I don't know. Do all the other ranges require inspections.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I bring all my own stuff as well. I've had a couple occasions where they didn't check bc the guy recognized me. They are checking for magnetic ammo and unloaded, opened chamber firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom