• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Quad glad to hear everything turned out OK. It's good to see you bringing your daughter to the range. We need all the help we can get taking our country back.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Quad glad to hear everything turned out OK. It's good to see you bringing your daughter to the range. We need all the help we can get taking our country back.

Again, thanks to all of you for the kind words, and compliments. I have to say, her first outing went smoother than I thought it would. She's kinda upset that the m&p I let her use is one that I gave our son ( almost 3 ). I gave it to him before she ever mentioned about wanting to shoot. I guess she cant see why him being so young, having a rifle that should be hers, since she's old enough to use it lol. At this point, I'd be an azz to go ahead and call it hers, but yet I still feel bad, cause she dont have it, and can make use of it. Not sure what to do lol. Since shooting some pistols that day, I believe she likes those more. I been looking at some sr22's....We'll see.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Really pleased that the medical issues were just a wake-up call.

Maybe we should get you and your daughter into reloading, so that you'll both be busy in a no-smoking environment and provide a new appreciation for the boolits fired with each pull of the trigger.

If you jump to a caliber slightly bigger than .22, you might find some reloading supplies locally that will get you through the winter nights and provide ammunition at the Range.

You know that the Hooligans can make this happen.............

4570inMD

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Really pleased that the medical issues were just a wake-up call.

Maybe we should get you and your daughter into reloading, so that you'll both be busy in a no-smoking environment and provide a new appreciation for the boolits fired with each pull of the trigger.

If you jump to a caliber slightly bigger than .22, you might find some reloading supplies locally that will get you through the winter nights and provide ammunition at the Range.

You know that the Hooligans can make this happen.............

4570inMD

VERY interested in reloading. I told others before that my dad has some old reloading stuff he said I am welcome to. I want to reload 223 and he said I'd need dies. I dont know what else I will need. I guess my first step should be go get the stuff, and ask what it is, and what else I need? If I can find willing people to instruct me a little, I am all for it. I just get too overwhelmed as I dont know what I'll have and need, so I just never go get it.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    VERY interested in reloading. I told others before that my dad has some old reloading stuff he said I am welcome to. I want to reload 223 and he said I'd need dies. I dont know what else I will need. I guess my first step should be go get the stuff, and ask what it is, and what else I need? If I can find willing people to instruct me a little, I am all for it. I just get too overwhelmed as I dont know what I'll have and need, so I just never go get it.

The Hooligans you've spend some range time with are a very knowledgeable group of reloaders. And you know we share that knowledge freely. :)

Now that you're making some major (and good) lifestyle changes, replacing tobacco with a habit like reloading could be great therapy.

You know who we are and we'll be there to help!
    :thumbsup:

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    The Hooligans you've spend some range time with are a very knowledgeable group of reloaders. And you know we share that knowledge freely. :)

Now that you're making some major (and good) lifestyle changes, replacing tobacco with a habit like reloading could be great therapy.

You know who we are and we'll be there to help!

I'll go see dad tomorrow about it. I know its pretty old stuff ( The press and stuff, cause he used it when I was young ). Hope I can still get dies and stuff for it.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It is very rare for a reloading press to wear out. If it has been taken care of and hasn't rusted you should be good to go.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Congratulations. You figured it out in time. I nearly didn't. Wrote this after in 2007:
    "The Funky Chicken"

When you are in the process of dying you may do a very special dance,
    And it’s like no other movement or walk you have ever done.
    When people ask me what it was like having a heart attack,
    I tell them I got to do the funky chicken.

I didn’t pay attention to the warning signs, and that was really stupid
    Because I am somewhat of an educated person and should have known better.
    So it should not have come as a great surprise that warm September day in 2007
    When I up close and personal learned to dance the funky chicken.

People have asked me what it was like to die because I arrested at least twice,
    And then ask me about any bright lights or messages from those in the great beyond.
    I tell them that it was like sliding away from the world – into a tunnel of sorts,
    And knowing the entire time that you are doing the funky chicken.

Then they ask me what it was like then tell me they know how it must feel,
    They say they know just how it must have felt to lie there on the floor, dying.
    Because they have known someone, or someone that knew someone that has been there;
    But trust me – none of them have ever done the funky chicken.

I am not criticizing these good people, or calling them silly.
    But I want to tell you about how I felt and what I did that day,
    Because I want you to understand what it’s like knowing it’s all about to end for real,
    And how it feels to do the funky chicken.

I lay on the floor in the security office and things went downhill really fast.
    The pain was incredible, and I knew that my life was slipping away
    And that there was absolutely nothing that I could do about it,
    And I knew I was doing the last, final version of the funky chicken.

I began a conversation with God, and said all the things you would probably imagine.
    I told him I did not want to die. I don’t want to die. I am not ready to die.
    I know I have not been a model Christian, father, friend…I just don’t want to die.
    And the entire time I was talking with God, I continued to do the funky chicken.

Please, please God let me live. I am afraid. I am scared. I am so not ready to die.
    If you will just let me live, I promise to be a better person. And God smiled at me.
    I mean, I felt his warmth in me on that cold, tiled floor, and said I meant it.
    And I continued to do the funky chicken.

The medics arrived, and in the ambulance I went for the ride in the tunnel.
    I didn’t feel pain, or joy, or loss, or sadness. No time. I just left and went for a ride.
    I remember watching the medic as I slid away from here, to somewhere.
    And I think about then I stopped doing the funky chicken.
    Bright lights. Hospital. Nurses, doctors. One person that really mattered. Helicopter.
    More bright lights. Darkness. A new awakening. A sense of hope that I may survive.
    Tubes, machines, more nurses. Doctors. Loved ones. A new awakening.
    Knowing I may not have to do the final funky chicken.

Surgery. Healing. Recovery. Going home. Friends and family all around.
    My doctor of 20 years; my cardiologist of 15 years telling me I should not have lived.
    My first walk around my home on a still warm for September afternoon.
    And realization – confirmation - of something left from that day of the funky chicken.

God let me stay. Not because I wanted to, or begged him to let me.
    I think it was because I have things left undone, and I promised HIM I would
    Bear witness that we DID have a conversation right on that tile floor,
    While I was doing the funky chicken.

My wish for you is to cherish every day, live every moment, touch every life.
    Walk away from anger, do not idly accept hate and disrespect, love and be loved.
    Never say “in a minute’, “I’m too busy” or “let me get back to you.” Do. Don’t say.
    And never, ever forget that at any given instant, you could be doing the funky chicken.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Wow.....Really. Don't know what to say to that. Very touching, and deep. Maybe I should make it a point to re read this thread every week, to keep it fresh, and so I dont slide back to what I don't want to be.

Glad you got to have a second chance too.... I know I went through hell of just worry, and it had to be worse for you.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Good to hear another person about to become an ex-smoker. I've been fortunate to never have developed the habit. However, I have lost several loved-ones to lung and throat cancer. One actually quit smoking but then took up dipping and developed throat cancer as a result. So be careful not to replace one 'vice' with another equally harmful one. Glad you tests came back good.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I have seen people not get anything until after they stopped the habit. Strange how things seem to work. There was a doctor here not so long ago who never smoked a day in his life, die, and had lung cancer. I'm on day 3 and using this ecig a little. I know for a fact its only gonna be used a short time.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Quad,
    DO IT! QUIT! It's tough, perhaps the hardest thing you'll ever do, but do it. Stick it out. If I could do it you can to.
    I just posted my story somewhere else last week. Here it is if it helps any. GOOD LUCK!!!! :fingerscrossed:

Over the last few years... shoot over the last few decades, I've run into and heard of so many old friends who've suffered the effects of tobacco. I'm not one to preach but as a smoker I sure know what it's like to try to quit. I also know that it's NEVER too late to quit!
    I truly enjoyed smoking a cigarette. Of course we came from a generation when smoking was cool. It was also very accepted. I began smoking when I was 14 or 15. I smoked regularly until I was 25 years old when a cousin I was close to, developed throat cancer. I quit cold turkey in support of Dennis.
    Seven or eight years later, somehow I found myself smoking again. There was a lot going on in my life and I honestly can't say how or even exactly when I started again. I smoked between one and two packs a day. I tried several times in recent years but always ended up back sliding. In later years when smoking had taken on the pall it carries today, you could find me shivering outdoors for that smoke I was fiend'n for in the winter and sweating for the same in the summer. One of the things I feared running out of in Africa was cigarettes, using precious space to pack two cartons for a ten day trip - just to be sure. My life didn't revolve around cigarettes but they sure were an integral part of it!
    I smoked my last in July 2011. Oddly, it wasn't for health reasons I quit. No it was my inherent stubbornness at the cost of tobacco today! Especially the taxes levied by the state and the hypocritical uses they put them to. I truly enjoyed smoking cigarettes. I liked the taste, the relaxation both of the physical effect of the nicotine and the simple act of taking a break to smoke. Even though I knew it had serious health risks, I wasn't feeling any. At least I told myself so. I didn't have a clue how I smelled to others. What my truck smelled like. My hair and clothes. I told myself nobody else noticed the yellow discoloration between my fingers or the brown on my lips and tongue.

It was a conscious decision that led me to give it up. A decision that has had more than a few unexpected results. The restoration of your health really does begin the very first day and just gets better. If you've tried to quit before don't despair. Studies have proven that every time you TRY to quit you become more likely to succeed. Maybe this will be THE time! Most importantly, don't quit because someone tells you to. Because the doctor says it's bad or your sister, wife or husband thinks you should. No, to succeed, you have to do it because YOU want to.
    I see so many people posting photos and stories of their grand kids. You have no idea how lucky you are to be able to spend that time with them! Do whatever you possibly can to make it last and make it as enjoyable - for you AND them - as you can.

If you really want a reason though, do as I did and consider the costs. I'm a little out of touch but the cheapest I've seen advertised is $6 a pack. At 1 pack a day that's $42 a week! $2,184 a year! Name brand's are probably closer to three thou a year.
    Think of what you can do with an extra two grand. Think what you could buy your kids, your grand kids... How about making yourself a challenge? How about quitting and in a year take yourself somewhere special to celebrate? You could go on a cruise! Go to Disney! Go to California or Montreal or Mexico. For two grand you can go to London! ...sure beats sitting on the porch smoking until you go to heaven.

I've done a lot of dumb things in my life. Things that could have, and still may shorten my life. I don't particularly regret them and I sure can't turn back the clock and change them. The past is what it is and all we can do is live with our choices. We can however change EVERYTHING from this minute forward. We have to live with our past but we don't have to live in it.
    Every second you get to spend with someone you love should be grasped. Money they may be able to benefit from should not be spent on taking that same time away. Most importantly perhaps though, the children of smokers are more likely to become smokers themselves. Take a deep breath, hold it....hold it, hold it hold it... Now, do you REALLY want to pass that to your grand kids?

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Maverick,

That is awesome! Wish I'd seen it before I posted.

Thanks.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Great post Oupa!! I got this!! Day three is winding down, and even with the wife smoking, I dont want one. Once in awhile, I'll catch myself walking over to the countertop to grab one, out of habit I suppose. Only once this morning though. The first day I didnt even want to get out of bed, as I knew that was the day I had to quit, and I knew when I did, I'd want one. I jumped up, and headed over to work to shoot the bull with the guys who work during the winter. I waited there til the ecig shop opened up, as I needed a small piece to put on mine to use. I also walked in there with intentions on getting the wife one, so we can quit together. I hooked her up, and shes saying shes quitting after this pack, on her next few days off. Her being off, should make it a little easier, if she gets irritated. I hope she does well. I am using mine a bit here n there, but will quit it real soon.

*edit*

For the record, I KNEW quitting wouldnt be near the hell that I was going through the past week or two. It put enough fear in me, I had no doubts that I was quitting.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Quad, you're on the right path because you own it now. You gotta keep going. Urge by urge and day by day. It's one day at a time for the first few weeks. Not pleasant, but you can do it!

You know you have friends you can reach out to and lean on if the going gets to where you think you're sliding back. We want you around at Hooligan shoots!

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Quad, you're on the right path because you own it now. You gotta keep going. Urge by urge and day by day. It's one day at a time for the first few weeks. Not pleasant, but you can do it!

You know you have friends you can reach out to and lean on if the going gets to where you think you're sliding back. We want you around at Hooligan shoots!

Thanks Joe, I appreciate it. In a way, I kind of wanted to say about my issue at the shoot, but at the same time, I didnt want to bother anyone with it. I did reach out to Buck, as we were leaving though. As for future shoots, just let me know when it's happening. I'll be there! :thumbsup: Might try to get my dad along too. We could use some quality time. We use to take ( We'd both take off work if need be ) my birthday ( june 16th ) and head to the casselman since it opened that day. Last few years, its been so low, that we dont even do that.

Ben

May 18, 2008
    Garrett County
    Sorry you had the scare but glad you're quitting. I did so years ago after 13 years of smoking heavily. Aside from the cost savings, the freedom from worry about my next butt and having endurance, the main thing that has kept me from starting again is this: the first week wo/cigarettes is the toughest, and I don't want to go thru that second time. If I start up again, I'll have to quit again. Oh yeah, and think of all those tobacco taxes you won't be giving the government.

jimv8eatr

Hooligan #4.5
    Oct 16, 2012
    McHenry, MD
    Quad, That's great news. Glad you got the wake up call in time. Best of luck to you in quitting, do it for your family!

I'm planning on getting into reloading myself. I'm still trying to learn the process and of course, hit up the rest of the Hooligans for advice. It should be a great way to keep your mind off smoking and keep you busy! I'm here if you need anything. See you at the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom