• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I might not have been clear with what I posted, so I apologize for that. At no point was I intending to suggest any sort of Internet-based voting (I would never support such a thing now or in the future). Indeed, nothing having anything to do with the outcome of the election or any part of the input or tallying of any votes should have any sort of Internet connectivity. Doing so is begging for massive fraud on scales we haven't ever seen in this country.

Rather, this was intended as a quick and dirty thought experiment in how to post -results- of elections online in such a way that the integrity of the reported outcomes could be verified after the fact while preserving as much anonymity as possible. I'm also not claiming this is at all perfect or that anyone will ever do it or anything like it. Having verifiable election results isn't in the interests of either party when they're the ones with their hands on the controls.

Google computer balloting. It not simple.. Its an incompleate research project.. It may in fact not have a solution. It is a HARD problem.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Google computer balloting. It not simple.. Its an incompleate research project.. It may in fact not have a solution. It is a HARD problem.

Out of curiosity, I took your suggestion and had a look through the first several pages of results. Lots of stuff about voting in Pakistan, some links in Chinese that I can't read, several about the introduction of early computer voting machines in 2002/2003, and most of the rest talking about email scams. There was one article in the Baltimore Sun about how insecure the Diebold voting machines are, but I already know that and it doesn't impact what I was discussing (which is merely reporting the results after election day in a way that makes them verifiable). Was there a specific site you had in mind?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Out of curiosity, I took your suggestion and had a look through the first several pages of results. Lots of stuff about voting in Pakistan, some links in Chinese that I can't read, several about the introduction of early computer voting machines in 2002/2003, and most of the rest talking about email scams. There was one article in the Baltimore Sun about how insecure the Diebold voting machines are, but I already know that and it doesn't impact what I was discussing (which is merely reporting the results after election day in a way that makes them verifiable). Was there a specific site you had in mind?

I posted a link in an earlier post.. and I am going to try and find it again but I am on a cell phone

I think Rebecca Mercuri was the name..

Also try variations like electronic voting...

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    I posted a link in an earlier post.. and I am going to try and find it again but I am on a call phone

I think Rebecca Mercuri was the name..

Also try variations like electronic voting...

I found a page from her on electronic voting here: http://www.notablesoftware.com/RMstatement.html

It's a pretty decent treatment of the various problems with electronic voting and Internet voting, but honestly it doesn't change what I wrote at all. Most of what she listed gets resolved with what I wrote. Multiple times in there, she mentions a lack of a paper receipt for voters, yet right up at the top she correctly points out how useless a paper receipt truly is. The only way to make any voting system verifiable is to ensure every voter has the opportunity to see how their votes were added to the final tally and for everyone to see how the tally adds up to the result. Doing so allows you to preserve some level of anonymity, but not total. In fact, it likely isn't possible to have both verifiability and complete anonymity regardless of how the votes are cast or tabulated. Paper ballots have all kinds of fraud issues themselves and also lack verifiability. Switch a couple boxes of paper ballots and suddenly you're right back where you started.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I found a page from her on electronic voting here: http://www.notablesoftware.com/RMstatement.html

It's a pretty decent treatment of the various problems with electronic voting and Internet voting, but honestly it doesn't change what I wrote at all. Most of what she listed gets resolved with what I wrote. Multiple times in there, she mentions a lack of a paper receipt for voters, yet right up at the top she correctly points out how useless a paper receipt truly is. The only way to make any voting system verifiable is to ensure every voter has the opportunity to see how their votes were added to the final tally and for everyone to see how the tally adds up to the result. Doing so allows you to preserve some level of anonymity, but not total. In fact, it likely isn't possible to have both verifiability and complete anonymity regardless of how the votes are cast or tabulated. Paper ballots have all kinds of fraud issues themselves and also lack verifiability. Switch a couple boxes of paper ballots and suddenly you're right back where you started.

No I know her personally I have discussed this in person.

There is no such thing as partial anonymity....at best that s pladable deniablity.. and if you know the work on prvacy you know thats not good enough.

And it violates the secret ballot

And it does not solve the fraud proplem, just the bug problem..

Deliberate inteigent bad actors can not be detected in a mutable system.. see also can Neumann..

The cost to solve these issues currently exceeds it benefits.

For years the simple minded have been sold the farce of computer infailibity.. those work work with then no better..

Also keep in mind in many countries voting the wrong way gets you killed... I can think of no better wat to surpress or manipulate their vote than " partial anominity."

In truth the authucation and the ballot can never be linked..

I can think of ways to detect manipulation with out comprising secrecy... .but not ways to pevent it..

No paper ballot s do not prevent fraud either.... nor locks theft.

The goal is make it hard enough not to be worth it. And possible to detect. Electronic voting fails on both accounts

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Paper ballots don't prevent fraud but they provide a way that can be double checked.

No I don't care if we can not get the results instantly after the polls close. Take the time necessary to count the votes I can wait.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Alarming, when I early voted it recorded one of the "judge" categories as not voted when I selected a candidate.

Not a blatant switch but alarming error. I wholeartedly agree, electronic voting is fine but these machines don't generate a summary for the voter (and judge) which is essential if a paper countup ever comes to pass.

Mdot

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    Democrats are switching parties right before the election, then registering as a republican judge. Can't trust the watchers either. Many are not what they seem to be.

I believe the voting machines are rigged and I personally think it goes beyond just a quick switch before you press submit. I bet the machines are networked and tabulating the election results as the voting is being done. I don't believe the switching is random. I believe the machines are trying to satisfy a predicted result.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    If that is the case why aren't we hearing about Ds flipping to Rs. Not a single case - if there was the media would be on it.

D's are flipping to R's in some locales. Here's a recent example:
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/...hines-switching-their-votes-to-gop-candidate/

As I say, if you don't think this problem goes both ways, you aren't paying attention.

And if someone thinks action only needs to be taken if the final result doesn't go THEIR way, then they are part of the problem.

I think votes need to be correctly tallied, even if I don't like the results.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    D's are flipping to R's in some locales. Here's a recent example:
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/...hines-switching-their-votes-to-gop-candidate/

As I say, if you don't think this problem goes both ways, you aren't paying attention.

And if someone thinks action only needs to be taken if the final result doesn't go THEIR way, then they are part of the problem.

I think votes need to be correctly tallied, even if I don't like the results.

That story says "A voter..." in Maryland I believe the report was 20 voters complained while at the polls and 8 machines were removed from service for "Recalibration".

You would expect a true random error rate to be an equally distributed bell curve spread between all parties running.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You would expect a true random error rate to be an equally distributed bell curve spread between all parties running.

If the touchscreens tend to drift in the same direction (very likely), the outcome will be consistent (as reported).

There are also wild cards:
    - People ham fisting it and expecting the machine to read their mind.
    - People pressing in the wrong places because they can't see well.
    - People unaccustomed to (intimidated by) tech who get frustrated and start pressing anywhere.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Word today is that people are swiping the touchscreen, like a phone or this Kindle.

People tomorrow will be reminded to tap the screen.

Remember to be kind to the poll workers.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I want to bump this and caution everyone to be VERY careful in the voting process.

I experienced this first hand this morning. Tried to select the "R" candidate for office and it went straight to the "D" and wouldn't let me change it.

I kept pecking away at the screen for about a full minute until it finally changed it.

Election judge blew me off.

Please, please, please……tell people to be very cautious in their selections today.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Word today is that people are swiping the touchscreen, like a phone or this Kindle.

People tomorrow will be reminded to tap the screen.

Remember to be kind to the poll workers.

Not my case at all. I know what I experienced this morning and it wasn't user error.

There's something wrong with those machines.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I want to bump this and caution everyone to be VERY careful in the voting process.

I experienced this first hand this morning. Tried to select the "R" candidate for office and it went straight to the "D" and wouldn't let me change it.

I kept pecking away at the screen for about a full minute until it finally changed it.

Election judge blew me off.

Please, please, please……tell people to be very cautious in their selections today.

Call the hogan hotline. Did you get the name of the election judge..?

I will be doing a paper ballot since I have an absentee ballot...turns out I am in town..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom