• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Best bait is live eel freshly cut. Enough weight to hold bottom, High low rig with two big ol' sharp Kamatsu 9/0 circle hooks, stout Ugly Stik 7' medium heavy Tiger rod and a Penn 8500ss is how I'd go after them.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    You do you. This is like one of those warnings about treated lumber being bad for you. Yeah, if you happen to eat a whole deck! Eating catfish once a week won't hurt anyone.
    ......I dare you to eat a DC catfish once a week. I assume you care about your health and wouldn't.
    "Eating catfish once a week won't hurt anyone" you don't know that.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I wonder if they could be ground up into fertilizer or would the same issues be a hazard to the soil.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Old wives tale,,, 20 years ago I drug home 3 skates,,, the wings have a brown textured "meat" ,, like the gills of a crab,, and tasted about the same.
    We tried eating them, yuck. They were ok if you were really hungry and had nothing else.
    The fish cleaner they called Santa Claus in Ocean City scarfed at us when someone suggested the scallop/skate theory. He said do you think fisherman would be cutting their lines and throwing them back if they were any good to eat let alone tasted like scallops?

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    They also have Snakehead fillets quite a bit there.
    I used to live on a creek off the Magothy, near the headwaters. Occasionally under the boat lift, in the shade, I'd see a dozen or more catfish, all probably a foot and a half long. Pick another day and it would be carp. Pickerel/muskie types were typically 1-3 fish at a time.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    There are signs on the Potomac just south of the WW bridge that say " only 2 servings of fish above this line a month are recommended". Iive always laughed about that. But if you don't think there's a problem with the water, here's a few goldfish we've shot that may make you think twice. All of these were hard tumors around the stomach area...

Attachments

• 0624221023.jpg
      0624221023.jpg
      456.7 KB · Views: 37
    • KIMG0633.jpg
      KIMG0633.jpg
      159.3 KB · Views: 39
    • 0924221936.jpg
      0924221936.jpg
      189.6 KB · Views: 39

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Can you elaborate? I was going to hit the blue cats hard this year and vacu-bag and freeze.
    Bad idea?
    Same as below either straight in a bag for later in the week no more than two or in a block of ice in at Tupperware container. And it gets eaten in two weeks or so.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    There are signs on the Potomac just south of the WW bridge that say " only 2 servings of fish above this line a month are recommended". Iive always laughed about that. But if you don't think there's a problem with the water, here's a few goldfish we've shot that may make you think twice. All of these were hard tumors around the stomach area...
    Must be them "Lead Bullets" deer hunters use!!!
    :sarcasm:

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    How do you fish for them? Best bait? etc.
    No B.S. - I think the best bait for Catfish is RoFo chicken but I do hear that fresh eel works very well.

And Blue Catfish is worlds away from Chanel and Flathead Catfish as far as taste goes. It's not even close. Blue Catfish also grow at an incredible rate so a 5lb Blue should have less mercury and PCB's or whatever than a 5ln Chanel or Flathead. At least that's what I've been told!

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    No B.S. - I think the best bait for Catfish is RoFo chicken but I do hear that fresh eel works very well.

And Blue Catfish is worlds away from Chanel and Flathead Catfish as far as taste goes. It's not even close. Blue Catfish also grow at an incredible rate so a 5lb Blue should have less mercury and PCB's or whatever than a 5ln Chanel or Flathead. At least that's what I've been told!
    Are Blues better or worse??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom