• Mr H

Banana'd
    Hey...

billy g.jpg

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Grandma used to make big batches of fried catfish, scrambled eggs with cheese and home fries every Sunday for years out on the country lower forty. Neighbors from all over always came over with biscuits, pies and homemade wine.

Those were great times and the only time I saw fried catfish for breakfast.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I wouldn't have too many blue catfish from MD especially from DC unless I wanted to get cancer or grow a third ear

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    When I was in UCLA (Upper Corner of Lower Alabama), the local seafood restaurants would do Fried Buffets of Catfish, Gator, Frog Legs, Soft Crabs, Oysters and Shrimp and if it wasn't Lent, Chicken and Rabbit along with Fries, Hush Puppies and Coleslaw
    OMG. WHERE?

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Love fried catfish. We would always keep the 15”-24” slot size for eating. No skin, as stated fillet them down the back flip and run the knife between the meat and skin. We never had an issue with freezing as long as it wasn’t for too many days, like less than 2 weeks.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Love fried catfish. We would always keep the 15”-24” slot size for eating. No skin, as stated fillet them down the back flip and run the knife between the meat and skin. We never had an issue with freezing as long as it wasn’t for too many days, like less than 2 weeks.
    Can you elaborate? I was going to hit the blue cats hard this year and vacu-bag and freeze.
    Bad idea?

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Can you elaborate? I was going to hit the blue cats hard this year and vacu-bag and freeze.
    Bad idea?
    I dont freeze fish too often and never have vac-paked them. I would take qt size freezer bags and fill them to 3/4 full of fillets. Put some water in and squeeze the air out. When the water is about to overflow I seal the bag. The fillets should be surrounded by the water so there is no chance of freezer burn. You may have to adjust the amount of water. I have eaten fish up to 2 yrs later and all is good.

This will never be as good as fresh, but no meat or fish ever is

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    To add to my previous post

I posted my way of making fish cakes. I usually make a big batch and broil them. Then I freeze the cakes with a vac-pac. I take them for work lunches and eat on Ritz crackers.
    To me, this is a great way to consume a bunch of blue cat fillets. I feel there are better fish to be fried and eaten than catfish but your taste buds may differ.

Tracker12

Dec 29, 2016
    Love blue cat fishing. The Pax is loaded with them and I have been doing my best to control the population

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpeg
      IMG_0773.jpeg
      560.4 KB · Views: 42

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    I wouldn't have too many blue catfish from MD especially from DC unless I wanted to get cancer or grow a third ear
    "Today, Washington, DC is the only major city in America to completely ban swimming due to public health risks linked to sewage pollution" - although they've cleaned things up some... I wouldn't eat anything below DC(see watershed map below). On the map below you can see how all the DC poopies/chemicals flow into the Chesapeake.

"Delicious crab anyone?" "No I already have crabs ty"

Most contaminants to be worried about, upstream from DC, is agricultural runoff (animal crap, fertilizers, pesticides, etc) and stormwater (oil, transmission fluid, etc)

And then there are the diseases and such...those all cook out though i guess?

I'd stay away from red/yellow areas if possible....that's WV and Western Maryland, unfortunately.

NLCD2019_smaller-scaled.jpg

Bottom feeders contain elevated chemicals due to their eating habits and predatory nature.

Don't get me wrong, i love Catfish in my gumbo and is a super super sustainable fish, when done correctly.

"For the same reason, MDE recommends limiting meals of blue catfish caught in the Potomac River from the District of Columbia line all the way downriver to the Bay, and from the Middle River near Baltimore. Since bigger blue catfish tend to pick up more contaminants, MDE suggests not eating any lunkers longer than 30 inches from the Potomac.

Because children 6 years old and younger are more vulnerable than adults to contaminants, MDE also urges limiting their meals of blue catfish from those rivers, as well as from the Choptank, Nanticoke, Patuxent and Wicomico."

TLDR: Don't eat anything below DC. If you must limit it as much as you can. Eat small catfish, and only the filets which tend to store the least chemicals.
    BTW the Chesapeake gets Baltimore too.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'd stay away from red/yellow areas if possible....that's WV and Western Maryland, unfortunately.

TLDR: Don't eat anything below DC. If you must limit it as much as you can. Eat small catfish, and only the filets which tend to store the least chemicals.
    BTW the Chesapeake gets Baltimore too.
    You do you. This is like one of those warnings about treated lumber being bad for you. Yeah, if you happen to eat a whole deck! Eating catfish once a week won't hurt anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom