• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Please, for people planning to OC in DC: I'm begging you to dress respectably, shave the neckbeard, and not be an attention whore. Please don't reinforce negative stereotypes, like those Open Carry Texas mouthbreathers. You know the phrase "This is why we can't have nice things?" Don't let that be you.

On a side note, I've taken an Emerson CQC-7 pocketknife into every museum on the mall with no issues. Was I not supposed to do that?

You're lucky - the CQC 7 has a blade over 3 inches. You were in violation of DC law.

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    While walking down the street in Anacostia awhile back to get coffee:

Me to 6'4" 275 weight lifter black coworker: "I'm walking close to you because you are black and big"

Coworker: "I'm walking close to you because you are little and white and might be crazy"

:lol2::lol2: :lol::lol:

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    That's one of the things Gura said he is worried about because he can't always update his blog in real time.

Let's be careful out there.

Exactly. They took a few days to acknowledge the rulling. I'd bet my sweet bippy the stay will be put out on every flat-foots radio instantaneously.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Time to dust off the 10-round (MD compliant.... er I mean DC compliant) magazines!

mcfalcons15

Jul 28, 2014
    Washington, DC
    Question

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, so first of all thank you and I hope you all wish me a warm welcome.

Now on to business. First, can't tell you how excited I was to hear that we are now able to carry handguns in DC. I have a question though.

I lived in Germantown, MD for several years. While there I purchased a handgun, and had it registered in MD. I did not have a carry permit for MD. I now live in DC, but never had the handgun registered in DC. Do I need to re-register the gun in DC, in order to be able to carry it in DC, or is the MD registration good enough for me to carry in DC? Also, when carrying in DC, can we conceal the weapon, or does it have to be in plain view?

Thanks for the info guys, and I look forward to contributing to the forum from now on.

:party29:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, so first of all thank you and I hope you all wish me a warm welcome.

Now on to business. First, can't tell you how excited I was to hear that we are now able to carry handguns in DC. I have a question though.

I lived in Germantown, MD for several years. While there I purchased a handgun, and had it registered in MD. I did not have a carry permit for MD. I now live in DC, but never had the handgun registered in DC. Do I need to re-register the gun in DC, in order to be able to carry it in DC, or is the MD registration good enough for me to carry in DC? Also, when carrying in DC, can we conceal the weapon, or does it have to be in plain view?

Thanks for the info guys, and I look forward to contributing to the forum from now on.

You have to register it if you want to keep it DC. That's the only known rules at the moment.

The rest are still grey at the moment. Too soon to really interpret what dc want to do and what they going to enforce.. To many conflicting data.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    I'd register it before carrying it if I were you. It's my understanding you can only carry as a DC resident if it's registered

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011

Welcome

I recommend you edit your post to reflect that you're already in compliance with DC laws as a DC resident. The remainder of the answers you seek- are available if you read this and the other threads on this subject.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    You're lucky - the CQC 7 has a blade over 3 inches. You were in violation of DC law.

I don't believe that is the law. I know federal buildings have their own limit but iirc there is no glade length limit on folders.

I am not a lawyer.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    updated the links in the OP to reflect the current status of MPDC guidance

nice to see she clarified that RAS still needed relating to those carrying a handgun.

this is really pretty cool. just like all the hoopla when CCW was gaining speed, haven't heard any reports of blood in the streets from this positive change.

bowoah

GlockBlock
    Jul 1, 2014
    PG County
    Soooo of course there are people outside my job with this Anti Gun crap!
    I like the idea of the Million Marksman March.....anyone care to organize one.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    nice to see she clarified that RAS still needed relating to those carrying a handgun.

this is really pretty cool. just like all the hoopla when CCW was gaining speed, haven't heard any reports of blood in the streets from this positive change.

And I honestly think that's all that changed. Sad they chose to change the wording on carry but IMO it's meaning is unchanged. If you are legal to possess in your home state-ok to carry in DC. No permit needed.

Communications and writing isn't the Chief's or her staff's strong suit IMO.

IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom