• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This exercise can indeed get expensive, but it sure is a whole lot of fun! And there's no way to truly know what that rifle is going to like, short of completing the exercise. Rimfires especially are absolutely notorious for ammo preferences. The results tend to be surprising at times.

I'd add a few of the less expensive offerings into the mix as well. It's nice when you occasionally hit on an offering that shoots really well, at maybe 1/6 the price of the Eley and similar class rounds that you're expecting the most from.
    Midas+ disappointed me.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My own experience with rimfires (especially) has largely been that while some performance outcomes may well be more likely than others, forget assumptions, and trust the paper. In other words, you won't know until you go. And don't be surprised, if you're at least somewhat surprised.
    I have the targets from when I was doing an ammo experiment. I'll have to dig them up and post them. Both my rifles like the Eley Biathlon ammo. They both have the same barrel too so that may be why? I really like the Acculite barrels https://www.acculite22.com/category-s/34.htm

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And FWIW - I also have the CZ 457 in 17 HMR. An absolute tack driver. I have a Bergara B14 Ridge in 7mm08 but not in a rimfire caliber. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Bergara or the CZ.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    And FWIW - I also have the CZ 457 in 17 HMR. An absolute tack driver. I have a Bergara B14 Ridge in 7mm08 but not in a rimfire caliber. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Bergara or the CZ.
    Well that's good, because I already ordered the Bergara! To be fair, I think the CZ is also in my future - at some point I'm going to want a 17 HMR, and I think the CZ would be really nice for that.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    10/22 pales in comparison to a bolt gun when shooting suppressed.
    Surprisingly, not much difference at all. I actually did a few YouTube videos, shooting both suppressed. There’s very little perceivable difference between them. Where the bolt gun really shines, is with the Quiets. But then again, I didn’t shoot the quiets with my 10/22. My channel has the same name as here, if you’re interested

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Surprisingly, not much difference at all. I actually did a few YouTube videos, shooting both suppressed. There’s very little perceivable difference between them. Where the bolt gun really shines, is with the Quiets. But then again, I didn’t shoot the quiets with my 10/22. My channel has the same name as here, if you’re interested
    Everyone has their own opinion. I have 10+ rimfires, and suppressors.

And Quiets won’t cycle a 10/22. So gives credence back to what I said.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Everyone has their own opinion. I have 10+ rimfires, and suppressors.

And Quiets won’t cycle a 10/22. So gives credence back to what I said.
    Are you talking about reliability or sound suppression? I can shoot quiets out of my 10/22 but it becomes a single shot. Still as quiet as the 457 with a can but won't cycle. I don't understand?

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I recently purchased a CZ American 457 (left handed) and about 9 magazines with it. This gun for the money shoots like tack driver. I am very happy with it.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Depending
    For plinking steel targets it will always be 22LR. 17 HMR is just too expensive for what I would want to do with that round.
    At some point I'll get a 17 HMR - currently I'm sticking with the 22 LR for this endeavor.

And now, all of a sudden, I have a new interest in obtaining a suppressor.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    At some point I'll get a 17 HMR - currently I'm sticking with the 22 LR for this endeavor.

A .22 suppressor is mandatory! lol So quiet you could literally shoot it in your house

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

LOL I told you you'd want the threaded barrel. Shooting subs through a .22 is a gamechanger. My .22s are quieter than my springer air rifle.

fanofdale

MDS Supporter
    Jul 5, 2023
    Bel Air
    Something not mentioned about ammo. When i started looking into 22lr, i learned that Lapua has a program where you send your gun, or make appt and take it with you. They set your gun up in a test stand and test fire different types/ lots of their ammo. Then give you ability to buy bulk of whatever works best in your gun. Located in Mesa, AZ.

Thank you for that great information. I might give it a try at the Ohio facility

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I figured I'd update this.

I finally got the Bergara out to the range to get it sighted in, but the ammo I'm using - mainly because I have a bunch of it - is Winchester Super X high velocity - 1300 fps. It's not the most consistent.

With that said, I was able to have some fun with the rifle, both at 50 and 100 yards. Depending on the wind and whether or not the ammo wanted to cooperate, I was getting some decent groups at 50. At 100, we were pretty much just shooting shotgun hulls that we'd tossed up onto the berm, and that's more fun than punching holes in paper. It's not the same kind of fine accuracy/marksmanship, but it proves that the rifle can certainly shoot well enough.

Two things to note though - I bought a 20 MOA rail for this gun, and although it works, if there is ever a point I want to shoot it beyond 100 yards, I'll need some additional elevation, so I think I'm going to get a 0 MOA rail. I've got a Warne on it now and was thinking of getting a Nightforce rail, but I'm open to suggestions.

I may have to buy the CZ too though. My wife has cobbed onto this rifle. LOVES shooting it, and has laid claim to it. Wants to challenge me to Battleship - her shooting the Bergara and me shooting my 223. Of course she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hades of beating me - not at 50 yards - so to make it equitable, I'll just have to get another rifle. :lol2:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I figured I'd update this.

I finally got the Bergara out to the range to get it sighted in, but the ammo I'm using - mainly because I have a bunch of it - is Winchester Super X high velocity - 1300 fps. It's not the most consistent.

With that said, I was able to have some fun with the rifle, both at 50 and 100 yards. Depending on the wind and whether or not the ammo wanted to cooperate, I was getting some decent groups at 50. At 100, we were pretty much just shooting shotgun hulls that we'd tossed up onto the berm, and that's more fun than punching holes in paper. It's not the same kind of fine accuracy/marksmanship, but it proves that the rifle can certainly shoot well enough.

Two things to note though - I bought a 20 MOA rail for this gun, and although it works, if there is ever a point I want to shoot it beyond 100 yards, I'll need some additional elevation, so I think I'm going to get a 0 MOA rail. I've got a Warne on it now and was thinking of getting a Nightforce rail, but I'm open to suggestions.

I may have to buy the CZ too though. My wife has cobbed onto this rifle. LOVES shooting it, and has laid claim to it. Wants to challenge me to Battleship - her shooting the Bergara and me shooting my 223. Of course she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hades of beating me - not at 50 yards - so to make it equitable, I'll just have to get another rifle. :lol2:
    If you find yourself in need of MORE elevation dial, with a 20moa rail and the scope you are using, you need MORE cant in the rail not less. My 20 gets me dialed on at 300 to 350 depending on ammo and conditions before I bottom out the 4-20 Burris xtr2 that was on the rifle. I kicked around a 30 but that was about when I pulled that action out of the chassis and dropped a centerfire in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom