• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    So I think I understand the process, but I'd like conformation and recommendations.

A longtime friend of mine is selling me one of his handguns, and he lives in PA near Hanover. I've got my MD HQL, etc, and it is on the MD roster. Mags aren't part of the official transfer process.

My understanding is this needs to be done through a MD FFL, and here's where the questions start:
    - Can he just bring the handgun to the FFL, rather than going through the shipping process?
    - Does the FFL hold it during the 7 day wait, or does my friend?
    - Can I start the 77R through the FFL and only have my friend come down after 7 days?
    - Anything that I'm missing?

And lastly, any recommendations for a FFL to do the transfer, somewhere between Hanover PA and Bowie MD?

Thanks!

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I just did this:
    - friend can bring handgun to Md FFL
    - FFL Will have to transfer it to their inventory and then you will do the 77r as if you are buying it from the FFL.
    - since money exchanged hands already you should just have to pay transfer fee.
    - yes, 7 day wait

TD

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    The Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury also has a store in Cockeysville, The Shrewsbury store told me I could buy something there and they would transfer it to Cockeysville for pickup providing it was MD compliant, blah blah

No Ideas what the fees might be though...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There are a few advantages in this process as well.

You can receive >10 rd mags from the out of state buyer. (Of course, you are supposed to take possession outside MD).

There's no sales tax paid to MD. (Unless it's pretty pricey, the transfer fee is likely higher than the MD sales tax, but al least the money is going to a LGS instead of the crooks in Annapolis).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mostly what Miles71 said . The only further clarifications are :

It is at the discretion of the FFL , of from whom they care to recieve firearms.

Some wish to only recieve from an FFL.

Virtually all will recieve from an Individual, live in person , handed over their counter .

Shipped directly from an individual , they're split .

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury also has a store in Cockeysville, The Shrewsbury store told me I could buy something there and they would transfer it to Cockeysville for pickup providing it was MD compliant, blah blah

No Ideas what the fees might be though...
    Probably really high. That place has got to be one of the most expensive gun shops I have been in. Definitely call them first.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    $50 transfer fee at Bel Air Gun Range. That is hard to beat.

Actually , $50 is kind of a Par Value . ( i.e , under $50 is bargin, over $50 is high , exactly $ 50 is mid point . And as always , location & service can be more important than a couple of $ . Doesn't pay to drive an extra 50 miles each way , to save $10 .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom