• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Has anyone mentioned that with the CZ you can swap barrels and calibers easily? 22lr, 22WMR, and 17HMR. Two screws and you can swap the barrel. Just food for thought.

Yep! They have a few barrel variations within caliber also. Different length, weight, match chamber etc. Wood stocks can require some inletting, like for a Varmint barrel. They say that their polymer stocks are universal, with no modification required.

CZ started this barrel swap capability with the 455. It appeals to some. Me, I didn't want to fool with swaps, and wound up buying 2 different rifles. Nice shooters, and the 457 is said by many to be better, while others swear by the older fixed barrel 452.

The good news, lots of choices with rimfires. The bad news, the same.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here you go. This MoFo is knock-down gorgeous.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I’m headed to Delmarva Sporting Clays Saturday morning , I’ll likely have a few of my rimfires if anyone wants to play.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    I was same place as you trickg. First thought about RPR. Then was organizing old issues of American Rifleman and in May 2023 issue there was article about getting started in long range rimfire competition. I have it if want to browse it. They mention CZ, Bergara, Tikka. Looked at them a little but stopped there. I don't have your knowledge and I have no experience with the 700 chasis. So looking forward to see what you come up with. I definitely want to get something in near future. Here is a good YouTube channel. This guy seems like knows his stuff. Mainly rimfire. I have no affiliation with him, don't know him.

Btw trickg, I was going to contact you and see if wanted to meet at AGC. I still wanted to give you that box of ammo and just catch up. I see you have gotten into trap. I hadn't been shooting a lot last year. Whenever I go back to SW PA, I always meet with buddies and hit range. I pay $50/year for range there. Crazy cheap compared to AGC. But Hoping to do more at AGC rest of this year. I'll contact you.

fanofdale

MDS Supporter
    Jul 5, 2023
    Bel Air
    IMO I think you will have to decide what level of shooting you want to accomplish. If you just want to plink at 100, 200, or 250 yards then you can buy a Ruger Precision Rifle and you can shoot a golf ball at 100 yards (if all the conditions are right). But if you want to group a 5-round group in the same hole then you need to step up your game and that means lots of cash. At the starting end of the CZ 457, Bergara B14, and Tikka T1x are great starts. Just know that you will have to customize the rifle and the money game begins. On the other end, you can buy a rifle that everything is setup to shoot right out of the box like Voodoo, Auschwitz, and Christensen Arms. You can also have a custom-made from Desert Precision Gunworks. All these rifles come with drawbacks and that's money. Also, your shooting depends on the ammo you use. CCI, Norma, and Aguila are great for plinking. But, if want a 5-shoot hole then will want to use Eley, SK, Lapua, and RWS. You will have to test to see what the rifle likes. But I do say that I love shooting 22lr and I think it is worth all the money I spend. Good luck with your choice.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Btw trickg, I was going to contact you and see if wanted to meet at AGC. I still wanted to give you that box of ammo and just catch up. I see you have gotten into trap. I hadn't been shooting a lot last year. Whenever I go back to SW PA, I always meet with buddies and hit range. I pay $50/year for range there. Crazy cheap compared to AGC. But Hoping to do more at AGC rest of this year. I'll contact you.
    It's so different in different places. The range that is near my sister's place in KS is small, but "range fees" are $50/year on an honor system. You are your own RO and much of the time you'll be the only one out there. They have markers at 50, 100, 150, 200, 300 and 400 yards (or something like that) with the ability to tack up targets at each place, but you're also free to set out canisters of Tannerite to blow up if that's what you fancy for the day.

Hit me up - the missus and I are at AGC all the freaking time these days - mostly to shoot trap, but we make to the 100 yard range a fair bit too. It'd be great to catch up!

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    I'm going to stray from the norm, and halfway be a heretic here.
    Perhaps it is something that comes with age and experience, but I THINK/BELIEVE that putting too much emphasis on the equipment is detrimental to good marksmanship.
    I'm the kind of guy that shoots "Production" or "Limited" in all my endeavours because, at least from my experience (65 years of shooting "stuff"), I still enjoy a simple setup and the challenge of learning more about myself and my "system" under diverse shooting conditions, than fall into the rat/arms race.

Fanofdale has it right when he comments you need to decide what type of shooting you want to do before narrowing down what equipment you NEED to do it.

If I had the $1,500 the OP says he can get, and since he says he already has good glass, I would budget $500 - $700 for the rifle and then allow the rest for ammo that the gun likes. It is a sad fact of modern manufacturing that not all lots are the same of a given product.

From there on, it's practice, practice, practice.

Yes, shooting is 80-90% mental. So getting equipment you TRUST is essential. AND you can develop trust in basic equipment if you use it enough.

Shooting Golf balls at 100 yards can be done with airguns. But you need to know real well what happens under different environmental conditions. NO rifle, ammo, scope, or accessories are going to do the thinking and the "solutioning" for you (even laser-rangefinder-linked scopes have limitations), but YOU may achieve that level of precision and accuracy if you practice enough.

So, get a BASIC gun, test a bunch of brands/models of ammo, buy all you can within your budget, and then develop the skills that actually make you a better shooter.
    IF then you want go sophisticated, by all means do it, you will be setting yourself up for SUCCESS by polishing the basics first in a basic gun.

JMHO, Keep well and shoot straight!

HM

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    IMO I think you will have to decide what level of shooting you want to accomplish. If you just want to plink at 100, 200, or 250 yards then you can buy a Ruger Precision Rifle and you can shoot a golf ball at 100 yards (if all the conditions are right). But if you want to group a 5-round group in the same hole then you need to step up your game and that means lots of cash. At the starting end of the CZ 457, Bergara B14, and Tikka T1x are great starts. Just know that you will have to customize the rifle and the money game begins. On the other end, you can buy a rifle that everything is setup to shoot right out of the box like Voodoo, Auschwitz, and Christensen Arms. You can also have a custom-made from Desert Precision Gunworks. All these rifles come with drawbacks and that's money. Also, your shooting depends on the ammo you use. CCI, Norma, and Aguila are great for plinking. But, if want a 5-shoot hole then will want to use Eley, SK, Lapua, and RWS. You will have to test to see what the rifle likes. But I do say that I love shooting 22lr and I think it is worth all the money I spend. Good luck with your choice.

Quite a first post!

There is indeed much to be said for defining what level (and type) of shooting you wish to accomplish. The considerations are many. And for some of us at least, they tend to vary.

There is typically quite a difference between a 1 inch capable rifle, and a consistently 1/2 inch capable rifle. With that thought in mind, the question becomes what level of capability does one truly want, or actially need? Closing that precision gap introduces smaller increments of progress. And those increments can quickly get more elusive, as well as more expensive.

It's ironic too what can tend to happen, when one has both more and less capable rifles, and wants to shoot them in differing ways. At this time of year, as an example, Varmint rifles come to mind. My most capable rifles are not only my most expensive, but they're also my heaviest examples. So if I plan on moving around, they tend to sit in the safe, sacrificing "Best" capability in a longer range endeavor that oftentimes calls for it, in favor of a Sporter weight whose capability is better described as "Good Enough".

Tradeoffs......

Last edited:

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    Something not mentioned about ammo. When i started looking into 22lr, i learned that Lapua has a program where you send your gun, or make appt and take it with you. They set your gun up in a test stand and test fire different types/ lots of their ammo. Then give you ability to buy bulk of whatever works best in your gun. Located in Mesa, AZ.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Something not mentioned about ammo. When i started looking into 22lr, i learned that Lapua has a program where you send your gun, or make appt and take it with you. They set your gun up in a test stand and test fire different types/ lots of their ammo. Then give you ability to buy bulk of whatever works best in your gun. Located in Mesa, AZ.

It used to be better bc you could mail the gun to them. Now you have to go through an FFL both ways. You can still go to the Ohio center in person though.

Eley is about to open their version of the test center in Tennessee. Not sure if they'll let you mail it in or if you need to be present

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    It used to be better bc you could mail the gun to them. Now you have to go through an FFL both ways. You can still go to the Ohio center in person though.

Eley is about to open their version of the test center in Tennessee. Not sure if they'll let you mail it in or if you need to be present
    Interesting. Goes to show you how long ago I started thinking about getting good 22lr cause back then, it was only Mesa. They opened the OH site in 2020. Interesting to note that they suggest rifle have 750 rounds before testing. You read that right-750.

For now maybe I'll play with my Marlin 39a. It was my dad's first gun he ever bought. I traced the serial number to 1957, meaning my dad was 16. I put a nice peep sight on it (skinner sights) and a Lyman globe front sight. Need a 22 only day at range!

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Interesting. Goes to show you how long ago I started thinking about getting good 22lr cause back then, it was only Mesa. They opened the OH site in 2020. Interesting to note that they suggest rifle have 750 rounds before testing. You read that right-750.

For now maybe I'll play with my Marlin 39a. It was my dad's first gun he ever bought. I traced the serial number to 1957, meaning my dad was 16. I put a nice peep sight on it (skinner sights) and a Lyman globe front sight. Need a 22 only day at range!
    Yeah, they want you to foul the barrel a little for break in before testing. 750 on a 22 is really easy to do though.

I typically call up champions choice and they have the lot numbers and speeds for their ammo and go pick it out for you while you are on the phone. I just placed an order to get some samples for lot testing in two rifles so am Looking forward to going out and burning through roughly 500-700 rounds that day :party29:

Being frank, I almost exclusively shoot 22s anymore due to cost, I don't need to reload for them, and that my centerfire guns are almost boring inside of 500 yards. I am thinking that one of my upcoming purchases or builds will be a camera system so I can start pushing the 22 past 500 and seeing were the impacts are.

Sorry for the thread hack OP. Either rifle with decent glass and good skills will get you to 500 yards with good ammo, let alone shooting golf balls at 100. I would go with whichever is cheaper and that you can find. I like the CZ MTR out of the two, but both are great and you'll have a blast jumping down the rabbit hole

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I figured I'd update this thread because I made a choice, and for now, it is what it is. (*I've added a TLDR/Too Long, Didn't Read section below.)

I bought (ordered) the Bergara steel with the stock that it comes in - no barreled action, no KRG chassis, nothing else.

My logic behind this was in part diving into a lot of articles and forum posts regarding the Bergara and various variants of the CZ 457 - it seemed that for a lot of folks who throw more money at this endeavor than I ever plan to, and had specimens of both rifles, the Bergara seemed to edge out the CZ.

Another consideration is that of the CZs I was interested in, none were immediately available to the LGS I wanted to work with on this endeavor - I could have gotten one of them on Gun Broker, but I wasn't married to the idea of the CZ, and I wanted to possibly create a good business relationship with this endeavor.

Another consideration - the Bergara has a threaded barrel - the CZ didn't. That means that if I ever want to add a suppressor to the mix, I can do it without first having the barrel worked on. I'm not sure why CZ doesn't offer the Varmint model with a pre-threaded barrel. They have versions that are, but not in a package that was aesthetically pleasing to me. Yes - that's probably a dumb reason, but part of why we buy guns is because of how they look. I know that was a factor when I bought my Dan Wesson Valor 1911 - I wanted the magwell because of the aesthetic, and that's why I added a Stan Chen magwell to my other DW 1911.

I've also watched a number of YouTube videos where people improved the performance of the rifle with a barrel tuner. Can't add a barrel tuner if you don't have a threaded barrel.

Yet another consideration is Reminton 700 form factor and AICS pattern magazines, which opens up a plethora of options for literally everything should I ever decide on changing things, which is something I tend to do. Triggers, chassis, stocks, scope bases, etc. There's more stuff made for the Remington 700 platform than just about every other platform combined. I know that there's a huge market for the CZ as well, but nothing compared to what's out there for the 700.

The last consideration, although, I don't tend to flip guns, is that I can sell this and get a good dollar out of it if I should decide I do want something different.

Hector, I appreciate your post, and there is some wisdom to that. With that said, it's always nice to know that the equipment is up to the task to a point where any deficiencies that might appear in the marksmanship can be attributed solely to the shooter. I'm also not that much younger than you! :rasp: (well - 11 years anyway) As a longtime working musician, I have a similar philosophy with my equipment - I have decent entry level professional instruments. The rest I leave up to me in the practice room.

I don't think I've overspent here by any stretch - this is a stock rifle where I might drop in another trigger, add a barrel tuner, maybe get a suppressor, add a bipod - not much past that.

* TLDR - I bought a Bergara B14R with a steel barrel for reasons - if I don't like it I'll flip it and get the CZ.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I figured I'd update this thread because I made a choice, and for now, it is what it is. (*I've added a TLDR/Too Long, Didn't Read section below.)

I bought (ordered) the Bergara steel with the stock that it comes in - no barreled action, no KRG chassis, nothing else.

My logic behind this was in part diving into a lot of articles and forum posts regarding the Bergara and various variants of the CZ 457 - it seemed that for a lot of folks who throw more money at this endeavor than I ever plan to, and had specimens of both rifles, the Bergara seemed to edge out the CZ.

Another consideration is that of the CZs I was interested in, none were immediately available to the LGS I wanted to work with on this endeavor - I could have gotten one of them on Gun Broker, but I wasn't married to the idea of the CZ, and I wanted to possibly create a good business relationship with this endeavor.

Another consideration - the Bergara has a threaded barrel - the CZ didn't. That means that if I ever want to add a suppressor to the mix, I can do it without first having the barrel worked on. I'm not sure why CZ doesn't offer the Varmint model with a pre-threaded barrel. They have versions that are, but not in a package that was aesthetically pleasing to me. Yes - that's probably a dumb reason, but part of why we buy guns is because of how they look. I know that was a factor when I bought my Dan Wesson Valor 1911 - I wanted the magwell because of the aesthetic, and that's why I added a Stan Chen magwell to my other DW 1911.

I've also watched a number of YouTube videos where people improved the performance of the rifle with a barrel tuner. Can't add a barrel tuner if you don't have a threaded barrel.

Yet another consideration is Reminton 700 form factor and AICS pattern magazines, which opens up a plethora of options for literally everything should I ever decide on changing things, which is something I tend to do. Triggers, chassis, stocks, scope bases, etc. There's more stuff made for the Remington 700 platform than just about every other platform combined. I know that there's a huge market for the CZ as well, but nothing compared to what's out there for the 700.

The last consideration, although, I don't tend to flip guns, is that I can sell this and get a good dollar out of it if I should decide I do want something different.

Hector, I appreciate your post, and there is some wisdom to that. With that said, it's always nice to know that the equipment is up to the task to a point where any deficiencies that might appear in the marksmanship can be attributed solely to the shooter. I'm also not that much younger than you! :rasp: (well - 11 years anyway) As a longtime working musician, I have a similar philosophy with my equipment - I have decent entry level professional instruments. The rest I leave up to me in the practice room.

I don't think I've overspent here by any stretch - this is a stock rifle where I might drop in another trigger, add a barrel tuner, maybe get a suppressor, add a bipod - not much past that.

* TLDR - I bought a Bergara B14R with a steel barrel for reasons - if I don't like it I'll flip it and get the CZ.
    Congratulations on getting started.

I somehow doubt that we will see that new b14r in the classifieds anytime soon!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Congratulations on getting started.

I somehow doubt that we will see that new b14r in the classifieds anytime soon!
    I doubt it too - I don't tend to flip guns, and if it's passable, it's something that I think I'll enjoy a lot.

I thought pretty hard about yours, but I really wanted the steel barrel - I don't know how important that actually is, but I wasn't sure I wanted the CF barrel, so I went with my gut.

I also opted for the OEM stock - I can always swap it out at a later date if I really feel like I want to, and I've read about people winding up with some feeding issues for one reason or other using various other chassis systems, so for the moment, I'm just going to use the OEM stock. It has the main thing I would want out of it, and that's an adjustable comb.

The good news on all of this is that in recent times, my finances are solid and I have more disposable income to throw at stuff like this than I've ever had before in my life. My side-hustle voiceover business is going pretty well - I've got about $450 coming in on a couple of projects soon, and I have at least one more audio book following the one I'm currently working on. The end result of all of that is that if I'm not happy with anything - glass, stock, or even get a different rifle - I can do it without much fuss. (I'm still thinking about getting a 17 HMR, so there's that.)

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I doubt it too - I don't tend to flip guns, and if it's passable, it's something that I think I'll enjoy a lot.

I thought pretty hard about yours, but I really wanted the steel barrel - I don't know how important that actually is, but I wasn't sure I wanted the CF barrel, so I went with my gut.

I also opted for the OEM stock - I can always swap it out at a later date if I really feel like I want to, and I've read about people winding up with some feeding issues for one reason or other using various other chassis systems, so for the moment, I'm just going to use the OEM stock. It has the main thing I would want out of it, and that's an adjustable comb.

The good news on all of this is that in recent times, my finances are solid and I have more disposable income to throw at stuff like this than I've ever had before in my life. My side-hustle voiceover business is going pretty well - I've got about $450 coming in on a couple of projects soon, and I have at least one more audio book following the one I'm currently working on. The end result of all of that is that if I'm not happy with anything - glass, stock, or even get a different rifle - I can do it without much fuss. (I'm still thinking about getting a 17 HMR, so there's that.)
    Like I told you, don't buy something that you aren't sure of. I like the cf barrel on mine but I can weight tune two of my chassis if I want to.

When you get it, lube your bolt lugs and spend a couple nights cycling the crap out if it. I've considered profiling my lugs but it's WAY down my list of priorities. Even further since that action is currently homeless and sightless!

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    A lot of great info on this thread. I picked up a used CZ tacticool that is a short heavy barrel to be used with a can. I had the trigger worked on it is my most accurate rifle and by far the most fun to shoot.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    22s can get expensive. I think I have over $4k in my 2 with upgrades and glass.
    TrickG, when you get your rifle I'd do what 4g64loser did and buy about 5-10 types of higher end ammo. Zero your rifle with something like CCI STD and then shoot 5 shot groups with each of the other types to see what it likes then get a brick of that and practice.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    22s can get expensive. I think I have over $4k in my 2 with upgrades and glass.
    TrickG, when you get your rifle I'd do what 4g64loser did and buy about 5-10 types of higher end ammo. Zero your rifle with something like CCI STD and then shoot 5 shot groups with each of the other types to see what it likes then get a brick of that and practice.

This exercise can indeed get expensive, but it sure is a whole lot of fun! And there's no way to truly know what that rifle is going to like, short of completing the exercise. Rimfires especially are absolutely notorious for ammo preferences. The results tend to be surprising at times.

I'd add a few of the less expensive offerings into the mix as well. It's nice when you occasionally hit on an offering that shoots really well, at maybe 1/6 the price of the Eley and similar class rounds that you're expecting the most from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom