Closeout M44 Mosins at AIM? Anyone grab one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Wojo, Yeah my first, It's all apart now, I'll post some pics maybe tomorrow. There is rust on pretty much every part to some degree. Haven't got to the bore yet, but my hopes aren't high. It is a project gun and I'll use it as a learning tool, about what I expected.

Rick

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Did you intercept big brown today?

BBT usually gets here about 10:30am, so I went out and plowed the drive about 10am just to make sure they wouldn't have the "could not get down the driveway" excuse. By 2:00pm, they were a no show, so I plowed the drive again. Finally, just after 2:30, they showed up.

It's a 1946 Izhevsk. Naturally. :envy: I think you guys are making up this Tula thing. Anyway, it must have been in the same woodpecker riding beaver battle that your's was in. Or maybe it was issued to a rail road crew instead of a spike hammer. It's really hard to tell with all the cosmoline on it. Lot's of rust pitting, but I have to strip it see how much. How do you get rust with 20 pounds of cosmo-crap on a rifle? My Dad always said, "Never buy an old surplus rifle that was dipped on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning.

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

All numbers but the bolt match. I haven't pulled the bolt out to check the bore. Here's the pictures.

IMG_2613.JPG IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG IMG_2618.JPG

It has an interesting repair. I have a of Type 53 with the same style repair.

IMG_2612.JPG

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    BBT usually gets here about 10:30am, so I went out and plowed the drive about 10am just to make sure they wouldn't have the "could not get down the driveway" excuse. By 2:00pm, they were a no show, so I plowed the drive again. Finally, just after 2:30, they showed up.

It's a 1946 Izhevsk. Naturally. :envy: I think you guys are making up this Tula thing. Anyway, it must have been in the same woodpecker riding beaver battle that your's was in. Or maybe it was issued to a rail road crew instead of a spike hammer. It's really hard to tell with all the cosmoline on it. Lot's of rust pitting, but I have to strip it see how much. How do you get rust with 20 pounds of cosmo-crap on a rifle? My Dad always said, "Never buy an old surplus rifle that was dipped on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning.

Dang, I hope it cleans up better than you expect and the bore is good.

The one I have that is kinda like that I am going to go monkey-poo on it with some ed's red and walk that fine line between screwing up the patina and addressing some of the rust issues.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Did a quick cleanup, it's rough but worth what it cost. After all, it survived the battle of Являются те чертовски дятлы езда бобры. There's only one other rifle know to have been in that forgotten battle. Apparently, the battle was so ferocious, it's been stricken from Russian history.

Any way, Happy Thanksgiving.

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yup
    Good deal for you.
    That's the tall post so it should not be a high shooter like some others are

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Got the "bad" one of the two i bought cleaned up a little bit. It has more pitting on the underside of the barrel (under the wood) than i would like to see. Borderline in my head on safe/not safe. May post a few pics up to see what you guys think.

The all matching looks pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom