Closeout M44 Mosins at AIM? Anyone grab one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Ok... Big brown just arrived.

All stocks are solid, & missing the cleaning rod. Some minor surface rust that I think will come off with a good cleaning. Did not look in the bore as they are nasty goopy.

-One is all matching no missing parts
    -One is missing the front sight globe and only butt plate is mismatched W/ unknown sling attached
    -One is missing the front sight and Bolt is Chinese andbutt plate mismatched.

Last edited:

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    pics of sling..

Anyone have any idea where its from? Given one has Chinese Bolt, I am guessing it prolly came from Albania. Thoughts?

IMG_4938.JPG

IMG_4937.JPG

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Just got around to the initial clean-up on mine. The receiver is dated 1945 (Izhevsk) and the rifle is 100% matching except the bolt which looks to be Chinese based on the triangle 21 stamp

The bore is pretty good; no pitting and plenty of life left. There are a few areas of rust that might have some surface pitting but its in areas where it will not be seen (where stock bolt goes into receiver)

The stock is in decent shape, no major dings or cracks, one minor crack near the top. It needs a good cleaning and a few coats of shellac to give it strength

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    I guess its time to get a C&R license so I can jump on these deals (when possible, my funds are tight these days)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    is the chinese bolt safe? IIRC lots of chinese guns from this era were really shotty, like the knock off M98 mausers with substandard steel causing kabooms

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Perfectly safe. Very early Chinese stuff was scary, pre 1950ish. Once Russia started giving China the tooling and technology in the early 50's it's got infinitely better. Their stuff 1950-1980's is purely awesome. Once we started importing commercial arms in the late 80-90's did the craftsmanship go down but it was still very safe and reliable. Just fit and finish on their commercial stuff past the 1990's was fair.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Neat find... Im confident that this batch of M44's did come from Albania given the Chinese bolt one of mine had and along with the recent imports of Chinese T53's and SKS that were confirmed from Albania. There is no stretch to believe that these M44's came from anywhere else. The 3 I got all had Russian stocks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom