Closeout M44 Mosins at AIM? Anyone grab one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Mine shipped also, arrives on Monday. This will be my first experience with heavy cosmo, also my first C&R rifle.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    AIM is spoiling me. This $99 M44 is pretty freaking nice. A few minor rust spots but otherwise solid. I'm sort of surprised this one was in the $99 pile. Color me happy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      127.2 KB · Views: 157

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The bore is shiny with strong rifling (I'm shocked how nice it is), but the muzzle crown is a little dinged up.

Your making those of us that got mismatched beat up m44s at $179 flipping mad.
    At least my beater is a shooter but I'm not gonna cover my costs to sell the one I did not want. Such is the gamble to buy 2 and keep 1.

But glad you got one in good working condition.
    One of my $179 Mosins had a nicked crown that I had to re crown .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How do you re-crown?

I have one of these.
    To get it to fit the Mosin, I put a piece of clear tape around the .300 sleeve
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/68...30-caliber-and-up-4-pilot-set-300-312-330-366

This was the first time I tried it on a Mosin.
    My Finn M39 has an 11 degree target crown on it.
    Technically, not crowning, you can clean up a crown with a brass screw and compound but Min had a nick in it that I could tell was messing it up so I used the tool on it and it looks pretty much like my Finn is.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    A 1945 Izhevsk showed up today. Tons of cosmo, none of the serno's match, stock is a little beat-up and the cleaning rod is missing. No rust spots that I could see through all the cosmo, so I'm pretty pleased for my $100 M44. :D

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I got my $99 special yesterday. Lots of rust. Beat stock with cool looking but unsound arsenal repairs. Dark bore with fair rifling. Missing the cross bolt nut. Nothing matches. Head space OK.

Mine isn't so great. But what should i expect for the price. I think it's going into the attic along with the box of U-Fix-Em T-53's.

Maybe I'll shoot it once if I can find a cross bolt nut somewhere.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sounds like the $100 are luck of the draw. But the $129 are more like the lower end $179 that came in for us that ordered them.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Both 1945 Izhevsk's showed up today.

Top one has matching numbers for everything except the bolt. War Time Stock looks like it may have been used to fend off a woodpecker riding a beaver. The stock has "character". This one is caked in cosmo so its hard to assess any further until I get some time to clean. See a bit of rust on top of the receiver. the crown looks good.

Bottom one is all numbers matching, has a good bore (bright and shinny) with strong rifling. No rust to be seen but plenty of cosmo to remove before I know for sure. Stock has some ding a one long deep scrape but is serviceable.

Aside for no cleaning rod on either, I feel good about both (especially the bottom one) for $99 each. I definitely did not think I would get a numbers matching with a good bore/crown. We'll see once they are cleaned up.

Attachments

• IMG_1437 (1280x960).jpg
      IMG_1437 (1280x960).jpg
      108.6 KB · Views: 85

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    You did great. Are there refurb marks? I'm surprised to see them in wartime stocks, but I guess 1945 was on the bubble.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    You did great. Are there refurb marks? I'm surprised to see them in wartime stocks, but I guess 1945 was on the bubble.

No refurbished marks... the bottom one has a mark on the stock that looks like two cyrillic characters in a circle. Other than that nothing.

Everything is stamped, no electropencil matched parts.

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    My $99 special came yesterday, unboxed it today and didn't get lucky with this one. Nothing matches, lots of rust everywhere from the bayonet to the butt plate, loose stock repair, no cleaning rod.
    Maybe good for parts but not much else.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    My $99 special came yesterday, unboxed it today and didn't get lucky with this one. Nothing matches, lots of rust everywhere from the bayonet to the butt plate, loose stock repair, no cleaning rod.
    Maybe good for parts but not much else.

Post up some pics. This is ur first one?

Probably need to clean it up to really assess it. Maybe it's not as bad as you think. How's the bore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom