• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    I'm no expert, but if you are going to sell ammo, you are going to need to stock a fairly large amount and a wide selection. Buyers are going to expect to find what they use and if you don't have it, I can't see how you can maintain a client base. There are already numerous online retailers that fill the void.
    Not trying to dissuade you, just thinking through it.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I'm no expert, but if you are going to sell ammo, you are going to need to stock a fairly large amount and a wide selection. Buyers are going to expect to find what they use and if you don't have it, I can't see how you can maintain a client base. There are already numerous online retailers that fill the void.
    Not trying to dissuade you, just thinking through it.

very solid points made here

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    As a person who has been working with the ATF and the local county for his FFL over the last few weeks, it all depends on the zoning of the property. I'm in Worcester county and am having part of my property rezoned to commercial since with a residential zoning you are not allowed to sell ammo. FIRST, I would consult with the county you intend to do business in and follow all the proper channels.
    I have been drop shipping cases of ammo under my MD business licensed web site and was told it was ok to do that but NO storefront until I get permission from the county.....

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Make sure you stock some of those disposable Coloradan magazines too.

Joking aside, I don't an think Ammo-R-Us would work well.

You'd have to stock everything under the sun at rock-bottom prices or folks would go elsewhere.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As others have said, ammo sales is a tough business. Unless you can sell it for less than the cheapest guy online + shipping, you aren't going to move much product. You will also be competing directly with brick-and-mortar places like Bass Pro and Dick's, who can leverage huge buys to get a few more pennies off the cost of each round.

Dieselfool

Jun 19, 2013
    Westminster, Carroll County
    Sounds like a lot of work for little return. There's too much competition these days especially with an online market. Don't get me wrong. I will support local businesses 100% of the time if it were economical, But its the convenience factor that plays a major role in purchases. E.G. If I were to at your store, and you didn't have what I was looking for. You say it can be ordered. But it takes 3 days. I would rather sit and home order it online, possibly cheaper. And have it sent directly to my house.... Not bashing your idea. But I'm sure there's a reason its not common.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Of course all the competition from online sellers would go away if and when the online sales of ammo gets legislated away. So this may be an idea a few years ahead of its time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Adding an ammo counter to your existing sucuessful business could be a good option.

An inbetween level side project would be to do the various gun shows with a truckload of ammo.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Probably best to do it like C&J Ammo or Emac's Tactical does it, just sell at gun shows. Problem is, they're already deeply entrenched in that market, and there's probably too much competition already at each show.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I don't see why you couldn't do it but a brick & mortar store will need more than just ammo. Holsters, powder, presses, targets, BP accessories and bullets themselves.....

Good luck if it ever happens.

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    Adding an ammo counter to your existing sucuessful business could be a good option.

An inbetween level side project would be to do the various gun shows with a truckload of ammo.

Reminds me of my Grandfather's hardware store that he owned in Irvington (Baltimore City) back in the 60's. (Irvington Hardware...I think it was a True Value) He sold shotguns, rifles and ammo. Probably the next aisle over from the garden tools. :)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Reminds me of my Grandfather's hardware store that he owned in Irvington (Baltimore City) back in the 60's. (Irvington Hardware...I think it was a True Value) He sold shotguns, rifles and ammo. Probably the next aisle over from the garden tools. :)

Back when New Merica was AMERICA.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    you dont get wholesale pricing just because you have a store/store front. you have to buy a truckload before your price beats the internet price... and even then its a slim margin.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    And what are you going to do when there is another mass shooting and the ammo supply drys up for a year?

What you need to do is to figure out how to make quality 22 LR in China and import it at a profit.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Reminds me of my Grandfather's hardware store that he owned in Irvington (Baltimore City) back in the 60's.

Estill, SC circa 1990's, there was a hardware store with an open box of .380 and they were selling it by the round! :D I guess you have to buy it that way if you need to knock over the ABC store on Friday night and don't have much money.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Ammo store sounds great. All you need to do to be successful is offer a large stock of a wide variety of .22 rim fire at a reasonable price. It will sell like hot cakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom