• ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The question for us is, "How do we break that cycle?"

How do you educate people who don't want to be educated? They are bribed by what the politicians give them, and their character is such that their freedom is worth whatever crust they are thrown by their masters.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They choose not to look...because it's inconvenient for them. If they looked, honestly acknowledged, and took their share of the blame for the situation, re-framing their lives to work in a "part-of-the-solution" way would require tearing apart and rebuilding old habits that are essential to their way of life.

It is easier to ignore or downplay a problem than to deal with it. How much easier depends on how bad a problem.

They are given everything they are told they need by the government. Being part of the solution means taking the responsibility of supporting yourself and your family. It is much easier to do what they are doing. Sucking on the government teat, calling your friends who are doing the same thing on you Obamaphone, and just hanging out watching all that cable has to offer on the flat-screen you paid for with money the government gave your for "necessities".

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    We can't blame the problems in Baltimore entirely on the BPD. They bear some of the burden for certain, but hardly all of it, and I'd wager that a majority of cops in the department do more good than harm.

Baltimore is the manifestation of years of corrupt politicians, bad legislation, and ignorant voters. It has become everything that is bad about the State of Maryland all wrapped up in one city.

Last edited:
    Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    We can't blame the problems in Baltimore entirely on the BPD. They bear some of the burden for certain, but hardly all of it, and I'd wager that a majority of cops in the department do more good than harm.

Baltimore is the manifestation of years of corrupt politicians, bad legislation, and ignorant voters. It has become everything that is bad about the State of Maryland all wrapped up in one city.

I must agree. I went back and did a further browse of the murders in the last 30 days. One guy who was killed had a conviction for second degree murder, and a charge of using a handgun while committing a crime (what a dumb charge) and he was out on the streets after serving 18 months!
    That's right 18 months for murder in the second degree.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I must agree. I went back and did a further browse of the murders in the last 30 days. One guy who was killed had a conviction for second degree murder, and a charge of using a handgun while committing a crime (what a dumb charge) and he was out on the streets after serving 18 months!
    That's right 18 months for murder in the second degree.

See, "the streets" took care of it.

90gsx

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2011
    Parkville
    BPD is not the problem.

The problem is the judges, prosecutors, politicians and the government teet sucking ignorant no class residents

Yeti Poacher

Dec 11, 2012
    Hunt Valley
    The jail system, as with many institutions in this country, is not designed to help anyone. It is designed to make money. Follow the money and you will always find your answer.

It is truly sickening. 18 months for second degree murder is a joke. Criminals rule the government because they provide the government with a reason to tax, regulate and control us.

If citizens were readily armed this nonsense violence would decline and the problem would gradually diminish.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The "culture" of Baltimore is broken, the city is diseased to it's core. The family unit that holds middle class workers in an area is non-existent in large numbers. It is held together only by social safety nets that keep the lights and water turned on. Remove all the government funding for a month and the place would burn.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Not sure how the homicide numbers honestly reflect on the PD. They can only do so much in the middle of it all.

I will say the city is a TOP DOWN FAILURE on many levels to include the police department. If you have a hour and really care to read it the research document ordered my Batts is an interesting read.

City moral rate among officers was less then 20%. Few had faith in their supervisor knowing what to do or having their best interest in mind. Few thought the promotion process was fair. Equipment is either not issued, not maintained, or not replaced.

The court system is a joke and as a result many officers just fail to show up. This leads to a lot of the "Nolle Pros" cases as the first thing a defense attorney is going to do is request a trial once the officer isn't present. This oddly enough is not entirely on the department. Many summons are received with less then 2-4 days notice.

Again even with the issues in the department I do not see how the homicide numbers reflect directly onto the officers or the department. The COMMUNITIES, courts, local government, police department, citizens, etc ALL take a piece of that pie.

Oh and in the past the officers have taken "strikes" or work stoppages of the sort. I'm sure some old timers like Road Dawg can comment on how that turned out for the city.

My brother is BPD and, in his first year out of the academy, has not had a single court notification arrive with more than 36 hours notice, typically with less than 24 hours notice.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    But think of how much worse things would have been if we hadn't passed SB 281!

That's the beauty of restricting and banning stuff. Even if crime goes up, you get to fearmonger on how much worse things would be without the law.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    My brother is BPD and, in his first year out of the academy, has not had a single court notification arrive with more than 36 hours notice, typically with less than 24 hours notice.

Really kind of sad.

So they expect their officers to have day care planned ALL THE TIME just in case. Of course some officers just aren't going because of whatever lazy reason....but really if you got off at 11PM and am told at 8:30 you needed to be in court tomorrow at 9AM what do you expect someone to do?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    tumblr_lvnrphlPlx1qfeqsqo1_500.jpg

It worked,... for the most part. :thumbsup:

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Really kind of sad.

So they expect their officers to have day care planned ALL THE TIME just in case. Of course some officers just aren't going because of whatever lazy reason....but really if you got off at 11PM and am told at 8:30 you needed to be in court tomorrow at 9AM what do you expect someone to do?

Happens more than you would believe. Most BPD spend both of their days off in court. Sit in District Court until 1100 when your defendant requests a postponement for a lawyer. If their defendant wants a jury trial, well then it's downtown you go, look for parking, pay for parking and sit until 1500 when the case is postponed. 3 months later you get the summons for the Circuit court case. It's usually a month late and the officer gets hit with failing to appear and they want them to pay a penalty for not being there. There is overtime pay for court but you don't get days off returned. Your days off are now working.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    I'm siding with the rank and file BPD. The system, brought to you by the politicians, is the real problem. Too busy buying votes and not changing things so people can have jobs, own houses and live peacefully. The majority of the citizens want to live in safety. Liberal politics, drugs and gangs, that's the problem.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    It's ironic. The same people bitching about overzealous police are the same ones bitching about police not doing enough. The problem is politicians. I agree. All law abiding American Citizens should be able to carry.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Happens more than you would believe. Most BPD spend both of their days off in court. Sit in District Court until 1100 when your defendant requests a postponement for a lawyer. If their defendant wants a jury trial, well then it's downtown you go, look for parking, pay for parking and sit until 1500 when the case is postponed. 3 months later you get the summons for the Circuit court case. It's usually a month late and the officer gets hit with failing to appear and they want them to pay a penalty for not being there. There is overtime pay for court but you don't get days off returned. Your days off are now working.

Man that sucks, I thought PG court was bad. I ain't gonna complain anymore. And you guys have to pay to park!

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Man that sucks, I thought PG court was bad. I ain't gonna complain anymore. And you guys have to pay to park!

I was in a satellite office from HQ. We had to play meter roulette. The meter maids told us they were directed by complaints to get us. I paid a lot of meters and tickets. When we were in HQ, we had to pay between $300-$400 a month for parking garages if we were lucky enough to get a monthly pass. If we didn't get a pass it was $550 a month. Some parked at meters and got whacked when they were stuck working cases and couldn't re-up the meter. Others had their cars broken into-several times. One of my guys had his broken into and the day after having his window replaced, they hit it again. Hie insurance almost canceled him. That's one part of life in the BPD.

The Districts aren't much better. A lot of on the street parking, like the old Northern District, Western District and Southwestern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom