• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I don't think it's the police so much as the legal system. Talking to city drug cops, they arrest the same people over and over and the damn liberal judges keep putting them back on the street. How they can even stand doing that thankless job is beyond me. Ironically, they tell me most of the bigger dealers live out in the county where it's safe. Their lackeys are the ones living in the city. You'd be surprised how many deals happen in Hunt Valley WM and Cockeysvile Target parking lots.
    As far as the family break down, it all started with LBJ and the Dems in the 60"s.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-year-end-crime-20131228,0,7568799,full.story

Baltimore homicide: up 8% so far

Detroit: down 15%

SRB and Batts should be embarrassed given that Detroit Police had to cut back extensively on emergency and non-emergency services. It's almost like the BCPD is worse than having a skeleton police force or none at all.

As noted several times, make sure you have your pistol pointed in the right direction. There are a lot of good police in Baltmore that put thier asses on the line every day and they can only play by the restrictions placed on them.

In 1995 I was tasked with putting a Juvenile Unit into operation.

One of the first things I did was to start a Juvenile Gang Unit, listed all known Juvenile Gangs, thier members, tattoos and other identifiers.

Two days later I found myself in the PC'sOffice having my ass nailed to the wall by that Idiot and several other Command members. Apparently I did not understand there were no Gangs in Baltmore And my actions only served to put Baltmore in a bad light.

I'm sure we most likely have several other LEOs who could share similar incidents.

The last thing I do each night is offer a Prayer that my Brothers and Sisters working under those condition both at Home or Hostile areas Worldwide will return safely to thier Children and Loved Ones.

Eddie O

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Silly you. We al know there have never been any gangs in Baltimore. The police and media tell us so. And no organized crime.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While Mich already had Shall Issue , they recently reformed their laws to remove a lot of off limit places , which in turn encouraged more people to actually carry on a regular basis.

But once again , any PD has little or no influence over most scerarioc involving murder.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Other observations -

Literally NO LE presence at all would kick in anarchy ( and not healthy libertarian small dosage).

A strongs Organized Crime structure ( of the drug trade , if not crime generally ) would lead to lower overall murder rates.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    It is interesting to see the cry for jobs as the solution. With the Mayor of Baltimore encouraging undocumented people to move to the city, what happens to the job market for local citizens? Someone who has a criminal record has little chance of getting a job these days. Is it a wonder that there is so much crime? What employment options are open to someone with a criminal record? I would love to hear the Mayor answer that question. Then explain why she is encouraging people who are in the country illegally to move to Baltimore and take the limited jobs that are available. Hopefully the citizens of Baltimore will vote for politicians who will truly represent their best interest in the next election.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Sounds like we need to take a thousand soldiers out of Afghanistan and drop them in Baltimore for a year. At this point it would be best to just destroy the place and then rebuild. Baltimore is nothing but vacant houses and criminals anyway so we won’t lose too much.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    One reason the crime rate is going down, is that people have fled the city. The main reason so many houses are vacant are that: high taxes, crime, poor quality education, government regulations encourage people to leave. Our taxes and auto insurance dropped by 50% when we moved out of Baltimore. Those who are able to leave have moved and continue to move to the surrounding counties. The politicians who represent Baltimore are doing a very poor job of fixing anything. It is comical that they are claiming their policies are reducing crime.

Baltimore should consider doing what was done in the early 80's to attract people to the city. The city first had a lottery, then later had a bid on a house program to attract people back into the city. The winning bidders had to bring the house up to historic standards on the outside of the house and live there for 5 years. This is what turned the Otterbein and Federal Hill around. It also brought a lot of young people back into the city, which increased the tax base. John's Hopkins has created a boom town in what was and still is a terrible part of the city. Opening up vacant housing to a homestead program has the potential to turn many parts of the city around.

I don't see much hope for Baltimore unless something like this is done to attract tax paying people back into the city.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I don't see much hope for Baltimore unless something like this is done to attract tax paying people back into the city.

THIS. This all day. Any reporter worth his note pad would ask this question of any declared candidate for the Mayor's office in Baltimore. If they can't find a way to expand the number of middle class tax payers willing to live in the city, than they have no realistic plan for how to solve the city's problems.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I lived in Baltimore (west end, not all that far from the scene of the most recent shootings in Edmondson village).

I'll be happy to move back to the city when I can carry a weapon.

Incidentally, I made the title of the post somewhat incendiary (there really should be a ? at the end)- not because I think that the blame lies with the BPD (there is only so much they can do) - but to point out that more police, less police, its irrelevant because the underlying factors continue to cause decay. Shootings don't happen in Roland Park, they happen in the areas with the lowest median income. Homicides are up this year IMO because heroin use is also on the rise according the the Dept of Mental Hygiene. More heroin users, more organized crime, more shootings. I am sure the power vacuum in the BGF left by the removal of Tayvon White has not helped either.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    When we were homesteading, there was a 24 x 7 unlicensed Pharmacy down the street from us. The "Pharmacist and their clerks" along with their customers made life hell for our entire block. Every house on our block had been broken into. My wife came home when they were in our house. They started calling us to say they liked our house and were coming back. It was very difficult to live there. We along with our neighbors had spent years begging the police to do something. I volunteered to testify as to what I had seen, the crimes committed by them, etc. The police told us that they knew all about them and that they were under investigation. It wasn't until one of our neighbors sat outside the Mayors office waiting to talk to him that the Unlicensed Pharmacy was closed. Once they were gone, crime dropped to a trickle. The neighborhood reclamation has expanded due to the foothold of a good neighborhood. The neighborhoods around Johns Hopkins, the law schools would be good starting points for now. Once the program was tested and improved upon, it could be expanded to other neighborhoods. This is kind of program is the only chance Baltimore has to turn itself around. The city needs to give huge incentives for people to move there.

Ovid

Nov 19, 2011
    Reisterstown
    THIS. This all day. Any reporter worth his note pad would ask this question of any declared candidate for the Mayor's office in Baltimore. If they can't find a way to expand the number of middle class tax payers willing to live in the city, than they have no realistic plan for how to solve the city's problems.

Exactly. Good luck with that though.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Minor quibble - most of the public safety community in Maryland uses:

• BPD: Baltimore Police Department (City cops - this is also the way the department refers to themselves; e.g., if an officer wants to wear a turtleneck in the winter, said turtleneck must be embroidered with BPD visible over the officer's left carotid).
    • BCPD: Baltimore County Police Department (the one headed by our lovely friend Chief Johnson).

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    When we were homesteading, there was a 24 x 7 unlicensed Pharmacy down the street from us. The "Pharmacist and their clerks" along with their customers made life hell for our entire block. Every house on our block had been broken into. My wife came home when they were in our house. They started calling us to say they liked our house and were coming back. It was very difficult to live there. We along with our neighbors had spent years begging the police to do something. I volunteered to testify as to what I had seen, the crimes committed by them, etc. The police told us that they knew all about them and that they were under investigation. It wasn't until one of our neighbors sat outside the Mayors office waiting to talk to him that the Unlicensed Pharmacy was closed. Once they were gone, crime dropped to a trickle. The neighborhood reclamation has expanded due to the foothold of a good neighborhood. The neighborhoods around Johns Hopkins, the law schools would be good starting points for now. Once the program was tested and improved upon, it could be expanded to other neighborhoods. This is kind of program is the only chance Baltimore has to turn itself around. The city needs to give huge incentives for people to move there.

Only a liberal would fall for that.... I know several who fell for it last time....;)

Cities can not be bribed into existence.... they must have a reason to exist... Baltimore has none. Moreover the graft and corruption is such that no one will be willing to pay the freight for all the ' incentives'. .... I can assure you that the rest of Maryland will n
    In the movie " Escape from NY" a picture of a failed city was created.. that may still happen in NYC but it is happening in Baltimore and Detroit and DC.

You can not bribe your way out... you must govern the city and you must make the city safe...

Nothing less will do.... period.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    It is interesting to see the cry for jobs as the solution. With the Mayor of Baltimore encouraging undocumented people to move to the city, what happens to the job market for local citizens? Someone who has a criminal record has little chance of getting a job these days. Is it a wonder that there is so much crime? What employment options are open to someone with a criminal record? I would love to hear the Mayor answer that question. Then explain why she is encouraging people who are in the country illegally to move to Baltimore and take the limited jobs that are available. Hopefully the citizens of Baltimore will vote for politicians who will truly represent their best interest in the next election.

The folks in Baltimore are the ones who should be asking these questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom