• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstevens56

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2012
    Somewhere in Merryland
    Not sure if this is something to be concerned about or not.

After my first outing with a new bcg in an ar pistol that I built, the firing pin shows quite a bit of scratches. I've never seen this before on any other firing pins and not 100% sure if it was like this from the start or it happened while shooting, but I don't remember seeing it when I did my initial cleaning before I ran it.. I probably went through 200rds before noticing it.

Any idea what could cause it or if it is of concern? Haven't tried swapping out the pin yet, wanted to get some opinions first.
    umady4es.jpg
    symy8e6a.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Couldn't say what the issue is, but there is an issue somewhere.

Pulled the pins out of 3 of my BCG's with round counts varying from 1 single shot, to almost 8k rounds. None of them have any marks like the above pictures.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Check inside the bcg. Either something got in there or burs inside the pin hole.

That does not look normal wear.

Replace it also. Dont want a stuck pin either. Going fa is not good.

Gdud50

Apr 8, 2013
    I've never seen a scratch like that and I've fired tens of thousands of rounds through multiple m4's.

You might have something moving in your gun that shouldn't be.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    What is interesting is the striations are perpendicular to the movement of the pin when it is struck.

I don't know a lot about ARs, but that's really WEIRD.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Don't want to say right now, I wanted to get some opinions before contacting the manufacturer/seller. It's a reputable company, I'll probably contact them this week and see if they've ever had similar issues with this bcg.

Fair enough. :)

If I had to take a stab in the dark, lx1x's thought of a burr inside the bolt sounds like a winner to me, but as always, I could be wrong.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Is the tip of the firing pin bent also? Could be the shot but it looks bent. Look at the inside of the bolt cam pin to see if there are any marks. Look at where the firing pin enters the bolt. Have you inspected those areas?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Change your cam pin and get a new firing pin. If it still persists then take it to a good smith. If you live anywhere near Carroll County I have both parts you can borrow to try.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I had similar marks on a firing pin once after changing to a m-16 style BCG

turns out there was a jagged scratch inside the firing pin channel with burrs on it.

A few passes with a very tiny file and everything was honky dory

I at first pushed a really really small cleaning jag through there, and that did seem to help, but until I actually went at it with the file you could feel and hear resistance and scratching when you would manually pull the firing pin back and forth

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Thats definetly cam pin rubbing on the firing pin. It must have some sharp edges on it.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    the cam pin may have rubbed a bur in the back side of the bolt so check there to !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom