• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Both my Senator, Dyson (D) and my Representative, O'Donnell (R) voted against the SB281 package. I intend on trying to keep both of them and my changing to a DINO would serve no purpose. Am I correct in this assumption?

Not to say they aren't worth keeping, but how did they vote on the amendments? Did they truely support us and vote for amendments favorable to us and then against the bill or did they vote with the party on the amendments and then against the bill?

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    you sir are correct. The intent of the DINO is to vote out the incumbents in the coming primary (specifically those that voted FOR 281).

I'm not sure I agree. Registering as a DINO allows you to participate in the Dem primary.

If your del/Sen is someone you are happy with, then vote for the weaker dem opponent in the primary and influence the candidate who will be facing your 2A proponent in the general election.

If enough DINOs vote for the weaker candidate in the primary and the weaker candidate wins the primary - it will change the dynamics in the general election.

We need to play chess rather than checkers

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    did you mean unhappy? If not, I don't follow.

Sorry - i was on my iPhone earlier using TapaTalk and it only took a piece of the exchange. Let me elaborate.

To my way of thinking, going DINO pays in almost every situation.

I am a life long MD resident and a conservative. Until 1 month ago, I was a registered Republican which allowed me a voice in selecting which Republican candidate won the primary and hence would face a democrat in the general election.

Now as a DINO, I have a say in which democrat survives the primary and competes in the general election to represent me in Annapolis.

IF my delegate and Senator are current supporters of the 2nd Amendment and happen to be republicans - then I can increase their chances of winning the general election by advocating for, supporting and campaigning for the WEAKEST of the democrats in the primary. If enough of us do this, and the WEAKEST Democrat wins, then the incumbents chances of staying in the legislature should be improved.

IF my delegate and Senator are opponents of the 2nd Amendment and happen to be democrats, - then I do the same thing and put my vote toward enforcing a 'term limit' on them so they lose their job as my representative. In so doing, a new democrat (non-incumbent and hopelfully the weakest primary choice) will be standing in the general election and in a far weaker postiion than an incumbent. Once the General Election rolls around - support the 2A supporter and put a representative in office to represent you who shares your views on the 2nd Amendment.

The only case where going DINO may not pay is if your current representative is a staunch supporter of the 2A but has a primary challenger who isn't. Maybe the current representative is very strong 2A, but has other 'issues' and may not survive the primary. If they don't survice the primary and the republican who is weak on the 2A wins the general then there may be a net decrease in 2A support in the MGA. Of course, you can still support the weakest Dem in the primary and hope that party influence helps 'correct' the winning republican's views on 2A.

I live in Frederick County and am looking forward to being much more active in the primary. Sen Young and Clagett (who may not be runnign again but since he lost the Frederick Mayoral Primary to Young's wife - he may run for the MGA again) will both know that I am in their district, I'm a democrat, a 2A supporter and I vote. I've never missed an election since I turned 18.

Hope this makes sense now - it does to me -- if anyone sees a flaw though in my logic - always happy to have a discussion.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Shamrock
    You got it exactly!

JettaRed
    You will get over it and it felt so good to vote against Obama twice once in the primary and again in the general.

Everyone remember even if you register DINO you can still vote Republican or split your vote in the general election. Make your vote count vote like a chess player, vote in the primary in whatever way helps insure either the most pro 2A or the least damaging person wins the general election. Become a single issue voter blind to party affiliation and build a pro 2nd Amendment legislature.

SigP226

Jul 22, 2011
    Youngsville, NC
    Always been an Independent here, becoming a DINO won't turn me into a tree hugger or nothin' will it? Seriously tho, I will be registering, if only to help vote out an anti if possible.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    As I've said before, registering DINO and voting out the incumbents doesn't make a difference if you don't replace them with candidates who are less hostile to 2A rights. Good luck with that in this state.

Again, this is not about finding pro2a people. It's about punishing the current anti2a people.

Voting out the incumbent will send a powerful message not to FU** with gun owners in the future.

DINO needs to be a wake up call to people who think they can do what they please with no ramifications for their actions.

When incumbents think they may be primaried, they will sit down and shut the fu** up.

We can't recall these butt pirates, but they are watching what happened in CO.

Just my .025

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Remember, this won't happen overnight, next year or even the election cycle after that. This is a longterm mission, and if you are not in it for the long haul, then DINO may not be for you.

This could be said of any political strategy.

Last edited:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    We must get organized.
    It is not enough to simply avoid voting for the incumbent.
    We must collectively decide which person to vote for and not spread our votes around.

Agreed. The first order of business is to vote against anyone who is an incumbent AND anti-gun.

It may take a few election cycles to get the message across to the politicians.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    You guys realize that this is not a new tactic right? It's been done before many times. I guess the difference here may be in the numbers and organization (Is there any??).

But with ~63% democratic majority, along with the low information voters, and the money the democratic machine has here in MD, I just have a hard time seeing this working..

/pessimistic mood

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Has anyone made a list yet for those who are not in the know within their district.
    I believe I am ok here in District 33. Tell me if there is something I should know about this district please.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    You guys realize that this is not a new tactic right? It's been done before many times. I guess the difference here may be in the numbers and organization (Is there any??).

But with ~63% democratic majority, along with the low information voters, and the money the democratic machine has here in MD, I just have a hard time seeing this working..

/pessimistic mood

I realize the political landscape, but it's worth doing. If we get enough people it CAN make a difference, especially in a one-party system.

Look back at the Soviet Union: change didn't occur overnight in the one-party system. Over time, however, change occurred (from Joe Stalin to Gorbachev) and eventually the wall came down. This occurred in spite of a one-party system.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Not exactly true! Even if the only "replacement" candidate has the same 2A stance, throwing out the incumbent still has a chilling effect on future candidates AND more importantly, it reduces the junior representative's or senator's power in the General Assembly because they haven't yet gained seniority on whatever committees they end up on.

:thumbsup: This

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

/pessimistic mood

It doesn't matter how much of a majority a party may have, what matters is how close the vote is between the incumbent and challenger in the primary.

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

/pessimistic mood

..Then find somewhere else to post your negativity!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom