• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    last outing before trade of wasr ak, was keeping six shots from a 44 redhawk on rifle target at 100 yards, 3 shot group with a mossberg 30-30 that could be covered with a quarter, ak could not keep 5 out of 10 rounds on the 4x8 sheet of plywood targets were mounted on. fooled with it a couple of hours, no improvement, bench or offhand, it is gone.

Wasr is the key word there. Try an Arsenal, Draco, or MAK-90.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    VERY SIMPLE QUESTION WITH A VERY SIMPLE ANSWER:

You CANT beat the rotating bolt direct piston impingement action of the Sharps 45-110. Fitted with the proper red dot, hydrashocks, and a 30 round magazine....its damn near unstoppable. Also, select fire versions are plentiful, and fairly cheap compared to other full autos.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    VERY SIMPLE QUESTION WITH A VERY SIMPLE ANSWER:

You CANT beat the rotating bolt direct piston impingement action of the Sharps 45-110. Fitted with the proper red dot, hydrashocks, and a 30 round magazine....its damn near unstoppable. Also, select fire versions are plentiful, and fairly cheap compared to other full autos.

I want one. The size of a 45-110 30 rd magazine. :shocking:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    This. I own and work on both.

If ONLY one then the AR, all day every day.

Any person who thinks an AK dosent fail, dosent know what they are talking about.

People who claim to see AR's fail constantly are witnessing crap lubes, junk mags, shitty maintenance, or just unskilled builds/materials.

I consider myself an AK guy but that's quite an endorsement for AR. I just got my first AR, a 6920 SOCOM, and I was considering selling it for what I paid to get an AK underfolder instead (to join my two fixed stock AKs), and for half the price. I'll hold onto the AR. Diversity and all, right?

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I own multiples of both platforms and I would take the AR platform every single day over an AK platform. The ergonomics of an AR put the AK to shame.

Every time I have been around AR's and AK's being used hard there have always been AR issues. I have yet to see an AK issue.

I don't believe you.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    I have 2 5.56 AR's and just bought a 5.45 AK. Even though I have not shot the AK yet, I tend to agree with Clandestine and others. For argument sake, assuming both are equally reliable and both rounds perform similarly, the AR is still just way easier to setup as a fighting carbine than the AK IMO and you don't run the risk of import bannings in the future with respect to parts, magazines and ammunition.

The US Army is happy with the M4 or at least has not found an alternate that works 2x better. The Russians likewise are happy with their AK74's, but I believe it has more to do with how many they have in inventory. Now if we were talking AK-12's, maybe we'd have a different story. True, you can make an AK74 look like an AK-12, but I think it will cost way more and does not address the import threat.

This is my opinion based on my research thus far trying to turn my AK into a modern fighting carbine by the time it gets here. :)

One final thought, I also think it is far easier to get quality magazines and soft goods (e.g. chest rigs and pouches, etc.) for AR than AK. I am going through this right now too.

The AR and AK's are weapon systems. They don't operate effectively without the other things I mentioned above.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    The ease of mounting optics and slings alone swings it to AR in my opinion, never mind lights and any other stuff that a fighting rifle needs.

Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    I think you have to consider the type of environment you would be fighting in. For example where I live, which is Baltimore suburb inside the beltway, I would prefer the AK for various reasons. The AR I would prefer for a more spacious area for various reasons. That's why I own one of each ;-)

patriot001

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2013
    @Gizzard, dude you must can't shoot. I own a wasr and get about 2-4 moa consistently. Do you have a sight tool? I think 2-4 is good for combat, if I want presicion I'd get a REM 700.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    @Gizzard, dude you must can't shoot. I own a wasr and get about 2-4 moa consistently. Do you have a sight tool? I think 2-4 is good for combat, if I want presicion I'd get a REM 700.

odds are his front sight is canted and the RSB is horribly canted the opposite way.:lol2:

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I'll tackle this from the Maryland ban angle.

Get the AK they will be banned.

Heavy barreled AR's will still be legal after the ban. Yes they make carbine versions of the HBAR with all the "evil" features minus the grenade launching cutout (where are you going to get an m203 anyway??).

I am an AK guy.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    if anything hits the fan AR, just supplies and parts would be readily available and for the most part, the parts from DPMS will work in a spikes. AK there are many variants and look aliks that do not share many things. But I think both are good rifles b ut ultimately comes down to maintainability

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I agree with jruuman regarding SHTF. I'd grab an AR over an AK any day of the week. My reasoning consists of:

1. With a few spare parts, you should be able to keep it running until you completely shoot the barrel out. These spare parts are small enough to be kept in the stock, pistol grip or forgrip.

2. It's the most popular rifle in the states and finding parts should be easy. There aren't multiple versions so parts are easily interchangeable.

3. Greater accuracy at further distances.

4. Ammunition is lighter so you can carry more of it.

5. The ammunition should be easier to find.

6. Many more options to mount optics. If your optics go down, the chances of finding other optics that can be mounted are pretty good.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Spatha

Sep 17, 2011
    AA County
    The indian not the arrow.
    That being said, I prefer the AR platform. I can work with an AK, but I have more experience on the AR. If you have an AK that you are confident with drive on. I wouldn't get too wrapped up on the whole debate. If you start with a good rifle and maintain it properly, your not going to see a big difference. I would say make sure you are familiar with both and if finances permit own both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom