Active LEO in full uniform asked to remove firearm (Medstar urgent care)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Maybe if more if this kind of stuff is publicly known the stupidity of these restrictions can be pulled into the light.

TD

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    :wave:

From the original confusion, where the thread title had hospital instead of urgent care.
    Doesn’t matter whether he said hospital or urgent care. He said X-ray. He didn’t say MRI. Doesn’t matter if the X-ray is in a trailer, urgent care or hospital. It’s just an X-ray.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    For the record I agree with all of you that the policy is dumb. My only arguments were that an off duty officer shouldn't get any more privilege than a law abiding citizen. The policy is the problem, not the application to this specific dad because of his (work) clothes work while not working. That's all.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    I checked this morning.
    Polozzi is still the corporate Cheik of security for Medstar.
    For the record I agree with all of you that the policy is dumb. My only arguments were that an off duty officer shouldn't get any more privilege than a law abiding citizen. The policy is the problem, not the application to this specific dad because of his (work) clothes work while not working. That's all.
    I agree and disagree. I do believe that no matter what you do for a living you should have equal protection, however, an officer in uniform, whether working or on their way home from work, has more of a target on their back. This event was a virtue signaling escapade by a hospital system that is known to be anti 2A. They sent a message which was received.

Two years ago my sons Medstar pediatrician asked my him if there were any guns in the home and how many, at intake and part of normal questioning (another true story). This is where the appointment promptly ended. Woke anti 2A agenda at its finest.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    It's not a privilege issue. The safety issue angle made some sense. But even that seemed a fairly weak argument for needing some policy that starts at a front door. I can go into a hospital with my work clothes and work tools.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    I agree and disagree. I do believe that no matter what you do for a living you should have equal protection, however, an officer in uniform, whether working or on their way home from work, has more of a target on their back. This event was a virtue signaling escapade by a hospital system that is known to be anti 2A. They sent a message which was received.

Two years ago my sons Medstar pediatrician asked my him if there were any guns in the home and how many, at intake and part of normal questioning (another true story). This is where the appointment promptly ended. Woke anti 2A agenda at its finest.
    Literally every medical center/hospital etc that I can think of in the area has a no firearms in buildings policy as far as I can remember. It's been a few years since I was actively going to area hospitals for work, but remember similar policies everywhere I went. Again, I'm not saying I personally agree with the policies, but seems like we are making mountains out of the wrong molehills here. I get it that there's many passionate people here though, so won't keep repeating myself.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    IMG_4533.jpg

At Anne arundel hospital now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm assuming that all the above is a problem limited to the half-dozen repressive states like MD, NY, CA, NJ t al.

Anyone out there in Real America have thises issues? I'd like to hear about it.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    If politicians are trying to pass a law that needs a carve out like that it should be a clear indication that it's a bad law and shouldn't be passed at all.

So a UNIFORMED police officer with a firearm is now a "carve out"?

You want to talk about off duty/retired LEO's getting carve outs, I'm betting we'd agree on the subject, for reasons I stated earlier. UNIFORMED here is the key, at least for me.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So a UNIFORMED police officer with a firearm is now a "carve out"?

You want to talk about off duty/retired LEO's getting carve outs, I'm betting we'd agree on the subject, for reasons I stated earlier. UNIFORMED here is the key, at least for me.
    I was basically agreeing with your statement, #2.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Well, good to know. **** Medstar then. There is no way I'm going to be in uniform unarmed.
    I can tell you that if you are on duty, in uniform or plainclothes, no one is going to tell you to disarm yourself.

If you are off duty in plain clothes or uniform, I can't say if anyone would give a damn or not.

Sirex