Active LEO in full uniform asked to remove firearm (Medstar urgent care)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    There are plenty of videos of guns going off in and/or around MRI machines on the internet.

You only need to be in the room when they are on, for Mr. Murphy to make an appearance. Some guns even get ripped right out of their holster.
    I work in EMS. I routinely take patients into the MRI @ Suburban. I have metal in my pockets, belt, boots, etc.... I bring patients in on a METAL stretcher, I help move them over to the non-magnetic stretcher they use; then they secure the room, conduct a safety check BEFORE energizing the equipment..... Anything else is the problem of the operator not the cop or other personnel with the metal object.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Most hospitals I've been in have oxygen bottles stored and in use all over the place, in addition to lines with gas running through the ceiling/walls etc where you might not know/expect them to be, so the compressed gas storage angle basically includes the entire building.
    And most of the LOx... is OUTSIDE

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Seems like an issue for someone responding to an emergency. But pressure vessels, certainly a good thing to be aware of. So what happens when one needs to use a bullet?

Back to an officer in uniform non emergency (holstered pistol). Can they be asked to stay out of the mri room and keto holstered elsewhere?

Oooor, do we think an officer needs to call another one to be nearby via radio in case something happens on that non emergency visit and he went out and locked his gun in his car already. He could call the ready officer to run in and try to compensate for him voluntarily disarming by the policy.

Just seems in a non emergency 99% of issues are solved by keeping holstered and staying away from stuff like the MRIs as pointed out.
    NOONE but specifically trained, cleared and credentialed is IN the MRI room when the magnet is active. Any deviation of that is a violation.
    I routinely sit in the control room to see the results of the MRI/CT (depending on which one I go to) with no issues.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    So an obviously off duty cop was forced to abide by the rules of the establishment as would any other citizen?

I don't really see the problem.
    The real issue? Is that they made this policy. Fvck em.
    Funny thing is, technically my doctor's office is in a signed "GFZ." I still carry... My PCP saw it during exam and we talked about guns for a few minutes.... no issues.
    Now of course depending on the SB1 changes the sign might change that, but for now I can and will carry there.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    NO they're not...... I know several who don't carry off duty
    For sure not required to.

Plenty of activities an off duty (heck, on duty) LEO is not allowed to do carrying a firearm. Getting drunk being an example. Can't strap up in the pool (well, I guess you could, go ahead I guess). Its awkward on where you keep your firearm at the massage parlor. Just a few examples for the other poster.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    2 things:

1) Nothing "equal" about this situation. A cop in uniform, on duty or off, can easily become a target. They may also be expected to act in a situation where citizens might not.

2) I'm recently retired fed LEO, and I couldn't agree more on "LE carve outs". I'm old enough to join the "I will not comply" and "concealed means concealed" crowd. I do, however, have two teenage sons that are quite proficient with firearms. Neither has an interest in LE and I want their rights to match my own. I'm all for killing carve outs.

But this situation goes beyond equal rights for citizens and cops.
    If politicians are trying to pass a law that needs a carve out like that it should be a clear indication that it's a bad law and shouldn't be passed at all.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Was gonna explain the MRI room and the LOx to y’all but tower already did. It’s not some magical place where you get close to the area and your gun flies off. The magnet is only on when scanning and the room is shielded. Nothing to add to the LOx. Guess I explained it anyway. I’ve carried in my hospital and walked right by the MRI room. Boy am I glad my gun didn’t decide to fly away.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Was gonna explain the MRI room and the LOx to y’all but tower already did. It’s not some magical place where you get close to the area and your gun flies off. The magnet is only on when scanning and the room is shielded. Nothing to add to the LOx. Guess I explained it anyway. I’ve carried in my hospital and walked right by the MRI room. Boy am I glad my gun didn’t decide to fly away.
    Yeah, and it's only guns. Not keys, pens, phones, stethoscopes, Janitor's carts. Hell, the ASP and handcuffs on the trooper aren't an issue, just the gun (maybe the spare mags).

Ap5fan

Sep 26, 2022
    Cockeysville
    No, it was the site manager at first, then they called a supervisor (who, I don’t know) that verified the policy.
    Heres something you dont see on the internet usually....... I was wrong Medstar has changed their policy.. Unless the officer is working they dont want the firearms in the building... craz

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Heres something you dont see on the internet usually....... I was wrong Medstar has changed their policy.. Unless the officer is working they dont want the firearms in the building... craz
    Which is completely understandable, IMHO. Policies need to be simple to follow for the lowest common denominator.

There is no way to secure a firearm for a patient or family member, just as there are no facilities to secure any valuables/personal items in a hospital environment if someone needs to disrobe.

Most of the time, it's put your stuff in a corner, which is fine where you can keep an eye on it. Even then, staff tend to move your things out of their way in performance of their duties.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I see no problem. Permit holders are less likely to commit a crime any crime than a police officer. So if we cant carry there neithier should they. I would even venture to day on duty as well.
    The carve outs are ********. Cops as far as I know have the same permit. I am sure with a LE endorsement since that would be thier G&S before Bruen.
    Equal protections is a thing and if there is a carve out that isnt equal protections. Let crime keep climbing in these leftist woke cities and eventually they will change thier mind or the problem will work itself out.
    I would venture to say anyone not in jail should be able to carry. If our justice system works so well if they are out of jail they should be rehabilitated. If they arent they should still be in jail.
    At a minimum if your allowed to vote you should be allowed to carry period.
    When there is an issue they always call a good guy with a gun. Imagine how much less trouble there would be if the criminal knew there was already a good guy with a gun there and he wasnt going to get to play how many people can I kill before the popo shows up.
    Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If all places did this maybe the police would start fighting for our rights instead of stomping all over them.
    Yes I know now all police feel this way but its department policy and they do thier best to make all police enforce it. So maybe they will stand up and fight and it will force the departments as a whole to fight for our rights since they will want to self preserve as well

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks for the follow up, unfortunately this is where we are headed and it will go even further

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    :wave:

From the original confusion, where the thread title had hospital instead of urgent care.
    Still irrelevant. We are talking about walking into a Medstar facility in general. Not getting an MRI with a firearm.

This policy is about the employees “feeling” safe. Just like SB1, and Mongomery county bill. It’s the perceived “FEELING” of safety.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Well, good to know. **** Medstar then. There is no way I'm going to be in uniform unarmed.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I work in a Medstar hospital, in Baltimore, on average on 1 day a week.
    I've carried in there fairly consistently since September. Concealed is concealed.
    And I don't recall seeing any signs either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom