Active LEO in full uniform asked to remove firearm (Medstar urgent care)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I work at a medstar hospital.
    Medstar has a no weapons, firearm policy for employees.

Our security is not arm as is any medstar security person in MD. Washington “may” be different but don’nt believe so. allowed to be armed as it is against policy.

The only armed protection is the off duty police we hire in the ER because employees can not be armed due to policy. Police do work closely with our security department.

Never in my ( 30 years) knowledge has a armed law enforcement person ever been asked to disarm or leave if not doing so.

Remember only cops should have guns not employees is their thinking. Lol

Police in uniform or undercover open carrying do so freely inside hospital including armed Brinks drivers picking up money’s from bank machine,dietary,gift shop, ect.

Now being asked to disarm inside a mri room, yes no metal allowed...
    Those magnets are so strong they can pull a metal splinter you may have in your body out of your body through whatever path it chooses.

Why a mechanic or construction worker will be required to get X-ray before mri. To check for possible metal spec in eye or body.

Also there is a big push, message, move within the system to report by any employee ( empowerment) what they may perceive as a threat or possible threat to employee or patient safety. We even need to watch a training video on this.
    This their latest item on their work place safety training .See something, say something, ect.

Prompt cares may have their own policies above what medstar requires.

Side note not sure Polozzi is still with medstar as corporate security chief. Will need to check tomorrow when back at work and check with my counter person director of security.

Not sure of encounter mentioned but am stating medstars policy on weapons as of now.
    And no we have no metal detectors nor do plan to install them anytime soon. Fyiw
    Thank you. You saved me some typing. You a have me by 26 years at Medstar. But, all of what you just said has been my experience as well. We don't have off duty LEO in our ER. But, we usually have a couple on duty in there at any given time.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I was at a government-owned facility in southern Virginia a few days ago. Not very people work there. Critical infrastructure type of place.

At every door of every building was a sign that read “No firearms or ammunition allowed in this building”. This included sheds, storage buildings, electrical breaker huts, generator enclosures, and every occupied building.

I got a chuckle from it.

Would an on duty police disarm before entering?

What about an off duty police?

What about me? Did I disarm?

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Hospitals are by nature very anti 2 A..
    They see” guns” as the reason for gang banger drive by shootings, ect. . as the cause. Not the gang banger/ criminals as cause of injury.

This a result of liberal thinking management . Guns bad......in their. View . Liberal believe is liberal believe
    Staff however are not all liberal and many pro 2A

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Still irrelevant. We are talking about walking into a Medstar facility in general. Not getting an MRI with a firearm.

This policy is about the employees “feeling” safe. Just like SB1, and Mongomery county bill. It’s the perceived “FEELING” of safety.
    Somewhere along the lines it was used as a justification to why they want firearms banned

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Tower, zactly
    They think it makes them safer so they feel safer.

Only a matter of time till some disgruntled employee or unsatisfied patient flips the switch and shoots up a dr’s office or hospital.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Tower, zactly

Only a matter of time till some disgruntled employee or unsatisfied patient flips the switch and shoots up a dr’s office or hospital.
    Ask any neuro or gp that deals with nuts or dopers. I've had several as students. All have scary stories. Some worse than others.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Tower, zactly

This psychiatrist shot back and saved some of his co-workers.

There was also a urologist in California and a cardiac surgeon in Boston who were killed by patients a while back. Locally, there was a Hopkins surgeon who was shot by the son of a patient, but he survived.

etc1006

Nov 19, 2014
    SW Balto County
    I've had patients at the old place I worked (one of the PAs, I thought was gonna cry when he found out one pt had a firearm on him) and the current UC have had a firearm on them when I bring them in for an XR. They'll tell me when I go to get them I'm like "ok", (many get a look on their face like "WTH?") or once in XR exam room. I'll let them know if it's gonna be in the way for any of our exam. If so, I'll set an extra pillowcase on the chair for them to place/cover it it and we go on with our encounter...

Wait>>>Hold up..... (sarcasm on) didn't some dude in south america or something die because his blaster went off from the magnet when he was taking a family member for an MRI??

Middleman

Sep 25, 2020
    Why would any cop with sense wear his or her uniform when they’re not on duty and being paid?
    Going to or coming from he would be in uniform. So scenario Time off shift pick up from daycare they say kid fell like right before you got here and now is arm looks weird. You look and sure enough black and blue and swollen. Medstar is on the way home and they are your insurance preferred provider So you swing by to get him looked at. The rest well we know

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    Going to or coming from he would be in uniform. So scenario Time off shift pick up from daycare they say kid fell like right before you got here and now is arm looks weird. You look and sure enough black and blue and swollen. Medstar is on the way home and they are your insurance preferred provider So you swing by to get him looked at. The rest well we know
    You would think it would not be that difficult to understand.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tower, zactly

Or runs amok with pointy stabby slashy things . Or baseball bat . Or twelve of their gang buddies . Or rage and martial arts .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or runs amok with pointy stabby slashy things . Or baseball bat . Or twelve of their gang buddies . Or rage and martial arts .

Security awareness without any potential for Security Response is the same as having fire alarms . but no fire extinguisher .

Added - Dang ! I meant this to be a regular post , didn't mean to quote myself .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom