• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    My 2 cents. I love the reliability of the Glocks and there are a ton of aftermarket toys for them but they feel like an old boxy Volvo to me. The HK P30 (and the VP9) fits my hand like a glove. A bit pricey but man I love those guns.

I've had a S&W 6906 for years now, bought it used for $400 after the New Hampshire State Police upgraded. It's old school as far as modern, double action pistols go (no rails) but I've been able to find extra mags for it. It's slim profile could make for a good CCW (not that it applies here) It's accurate. I never clean the thing and it has always gone bang. I have had zero issues with it.

The only thing I don't like about it is S&W designed some goofy safety mechanism into it where you can't fire it with one in the pipe with the mag out. It's make no sense. If I have to change mags some bad sh!t is going down and I want to be able to fire that one in the pipe. Other than that, really reliable.

....ok that was more like my 25 cents

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Of course Glocks -- that goes without saying.

I'll also add to that Sig P226 -- smoothest 9mm I've ever fired.

German Lugers are super sweet. Good punchy but smooth feel to the recoil.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If you're just talking about shooter for experience sake and to be able to say you shot one, you have to shoot a Beretta M9 and Glock 17/19. Iconic 9mm handguns. After that, they all kind of just blend together.

Ditto with the Beretta. Either the M9 or the 92FS. Prefer the 92FS compact myself. Don't really like the plastic guns. Like the heft in my hand. H&Ks are good also.

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013
    Yes I have shot the 9mm 1911's a few times and really enjoyed a stainless 9mm Springfield I rented at the range one day. I have heard various people say that 1911's are unreliable in 9mm but I'm not sure if there's anything to that. I didn't have any FTF or other malfunctions. My number one choice right now would be the sig 226 or 229 but they are very pricey guns! A few of the CZ models look great and seem to have a cult following but so do Glock's.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yes I have shot the 9mm 1911's a few times and really enjoyed a stainless 9mm Springfield I rented at the range one day. I have heard various people say that 1911's are unreliable in 9mm but I'm not sure if there's anything to that. I didn't have any FTF or other malfunctions. My number one choice right now would be the sig 226 or 229 but they are very pricey guns! A few of the CZ models look great and seem to have a cult following but so do Glock's.

If your LEO or Active Duty/Retired Military you can get a pretty good discount on certain guns. See attached photo. Good luck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      114.3 KB · Views: 342

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I agree with and own most of the above list.

The one I didnt see that is my favorite is the German SIG 228. You really can't go wrong with one.

I love them so much I own 2.

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm going to troll some local shops next week. It's been about two years since I went and did my rounds locally. I was gong to a place called constitution firearms frequently but they seem to have closed.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm going to troll some local shops next week. It's been about two years since I went and did my rounds locally. I was gong to a place called constitution firearms frequently but they seem to have closed.

Yeah that was a good shop. They closed almost 18 months ago :(

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I wouldn't say all shooters should own all those popular nine's. I mean really, that sucks up 1911 (yes in 9mm as well) and magnum revolver funds and safe real estate. But the informal survey of what I typically see at matches in noticable populations would be (in semi descending ordaire of 9mm Parabellum chambered blasters)...

Glocks
    XD's
    M&P's
    CZ types
    Berretta 92/96 patterns
    1911 (9mm increasing)
    Sigs 226 (depends on the crowd)

I own 2... one is a 1911, the other an M&P. Looking into the Ruger Carry nine...with the hammer, not the striker fired gun.

I've owned 5 other double stack 9's...none of them did it for me except for the Ruger 85 MKII. I just didn't realize it at the time I sold it.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My first firearm was a Springfield XD 9mm. I love that thing. It's a good well-rounded platform and round stopping power balanced out with cost of ammo so that I can get to the range more often.

Easy to clean. I've shot probably 5k rounds through it and had 5 or so FtF or FtE. I don't know if it was the ammo's fault (I'm known to buy cheap ammo).

Highly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom