• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Reloading .223 totally is worth it given what a box of anything hollow point or match costs retail. If shot to any appreciable volume even fmj pays off for quality and on-demand supply.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    If you're ripping rims you need to get a case gauge to check shoulder bump: could be setting the sizing die too far down. As for using extruded powder, you have a trickler, right? Also, I hope you hung on to that crimped brass. Ream it out w/ 3-4 turns of a deburring tool and it'll be the best brass you'll have.

Wife has one , i think its french. but not apropos to this forum:innocent0

No trickler. Ill have to look that up. By crimped i meant primer pockets. I coulde swage i guess but i'm swimming in brass. So it goes into a bucket.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Reloading .223 totally is worth it given what a box of anything hollow point or match costs retail. If shot to any appreciable volume even fmj pays off for quality and on-demand supply.

I discovered Rocky mountain reloading recently. Great deals on bullets.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    This is 25 grains. Basically, is this normal?

Large grain/small case = PITA. Agree with drop tube and H335 recommendations above. You can compress that much, but I'd recommend you mic your loaded rounds the following day. Pressure can overcome neck tension (even with a crimp) and start pushing out your bullets.

The other thing im having trouble with is tearing rims off. I lost probably 20 cases to torn rims. Lubed inside and out My sizeing /depriming die does not like them.

Regarding ripping rims off. Are you talking stuck cases too? First guess is lube, then worn/improper shell holder or crappy brass. This is my favorite lube - better than Ebola snot: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...sizing-lube-5-oz-aerosol?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Large grain/small case = PITA. Agree with drop tube and H335 recommendations above. You can compress that much, but I'd recommend you mic your loaded rounds the following day. Pressure can overcome neck tension (even with a crimp) and start pushing out your bullets.

Regarding ripping rims off. Are you talking stuck cases too? First guess is lube, then worn/improper shell holder or crappy brass. This is my favorite lube - better than Ebola snot: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...sizing-lube-5-oz-aerosol?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The dies came with number 19 shell holder (same as 9mm). I found that #4 for 380acp is slightly smaller and gets more purchase on the rim. That reduced my problem somewhat.

I can only assume the lube I'm using is not up to the task. Never had any issue until .223.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The dies came with number 19 shell holder (same as 9mm). I found that #4 for 380acp is slightly smaller and gets more purchase on the rim. That reduced my problem somewhat.

I can only assume the lube I'm using is not up to the task. Never had any issue until .223.

If you aren't giving the lube enough time to work it's way around on the case and become slightly tacky, then you might have created the issue by accident. how long are you giving the lube to do it's thing, before running it through the sizing die?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Can says 20 seconds. I'm assuming this gives the propellant time to offgas and the lube to spread

How liberally are you coating them? There should be instructions on the container about how they should feel when properly lubed. I know with the Dillon lube, that I have to spray and then shake them around, and finally I have to wait for about 5 minutes, till the cases feel tacky.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What lube are you using? If you are using Hornady One Stuck, you might want to change. :)

I use Dillon Spray Lube. You can make it yourself with rubbing alcohol (91% works best) and anyhydrous lanolin. 10 parts alcohol to 1 part lanolin.

Another thing to check is that your decapping/Expander is not too high in the case. If so, you are trying to pull the expander through the neck, while it is still in the neck sizing area of the die.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Took a shot in the dark with Bruno's :o , but that aside - H335 is definitely a good one to try.

Meters well, burns clean, has been rock-solid for me in different loadings - from 40gr varmint grenades to 75gr match rounds. Bolt gun, AR's, it just works.
    Yep... it works great!

Dillo.. try spraying your cases with lube and wait a few minutes. I dump em in a box, spray em a few times while shaking the box around to spread the lube all about the cases and then I wait at least 5 mins before starting to size. Let the solvent in the lube evap a bit and it seems to work better.. ;)

Or... you can use Imperial Sizing wax. Put a bit on your fingertip/thumb and rub it onto the case body and size away. This is how I do it now since I finally broke down and got some wax. Its' da bomb!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you're ripping rims you need to get a case gauge to check shoulder bump: could be setting the sizing die too far down. As for using extruded powder, you have a trickler, right? Also, I hope you hung on to that crimped brass. Ream it out w/ 3-4 turns of a deburring tool and it'll be the best brass you'll have.

I've been using a wood screw countersink on a cordless drill for military crimps. Go slow. Planning on buying a swager though.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Something to watch for...
    IMR powder have been know to be temperature sensitive.
    See if you shoot better when the weather is cold or hot.
    I changed over to Hodgdon powders because I couldn't hit crap in the summer time.

Good luck.

Chris

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    lanolin and 99% iso alcohol is my favorite. 1:12 mixture in a spray bottle.

teaching the reloading class I was trying to show students a dented shoulder from too much lube, but using the homemade lube I couldn't get one to occur, even with the brass sopping wet. none of the students stuck a case either.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

There are no standards among manufactures for shell holder size. For RCBS a #10 is for both the 223 and 380. The 9mm is a #16, so I would say that is easily too big for the 223. The RCBS numbering system IS NOT ordered by size of the case. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rcbs.com%2Fdownloads%2FTrim_shell_holder_collet_ref_chart.pdf&ei=HoA6VNPLCJH2yQS9poGICw&usg=AFQjCNHKTUIoLZGISMODJeWhSr6NYULMFA&sig2=fW9uO9Bc1mzok2fyaSsXzA&bvm=bv.77161500,d.aWw

If I am too stingy with the lube, I get stuck cases, too generous ..dents in the case (which are unsightly but don't ruin the case) I've used Lee and RCBS lube and a pad for years. In other words I don't think there is only one brand that works and the rest are crap.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There are no standards among manufactures for shell holder size. For RCBS a #10 is for both the 223 and 380. The 9mm is a #16, so I would say that is easily too big for the 223. The RCBS numbering system IS NOT ordered by size of the case. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rcbs.com%2Fdownloads%2FTrim_shell_holder_collet_ref_chart.pdf&ei=HoA6VNPLCJH2yQS9poGICw&usg=AFQjCNHKTUIoLZGISMODJeWhSr6NYULMFA&sig2=fW9uO9Bc1mzok2fyaSsXzA&bvm=bv.77161500,d.aWw

If I am too stingy with the lube, I get stuck cases, too generous ..dents in the case (which are unsightly but don't ruin the case) I've used Lee and RCBS lube and a pad for years. In other words I don't think there is only one brand that works and the rest are crap.

Just to add, when using a lube pad, make sure case necks get lubed too.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Great stuff here, guys! I use a tupperware tub (apparently my wife's 'best' one, of which she reminds me every time i reload). Looks like it's time for a new lube.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I used to use a cookie sheet.

Now I use one of the plastic storage bins from Target/Walmart.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If no trickler, I would avoid extruded powders all together unless you're throwing lower charges. You will still lack consistent charges but at least you shouldn't be at risk of throwing dangerous overloads.:skull:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom