• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If no trickler, I would avoid extruded powders all together unless you're throwing lower charges. You will still lack consistent charges but at least you shouldn't be at risk of throwing dangerous overloads.:skull:

Yeah, powder weights vary much more from powder throw to powder throw using extruded powders. I haven't load much 223 for a long time....but do use extruded powders for 30.06, .270, .338 and both .243 & 6mm Rem. I try to throw just a bit under the desired load then use a trickler to bring the load up to the exact desired load. One thing....those powder weights vary due to how the extruded powder grains happen to fall into the measure and jam up against one another. A little shake performed similarly each time can often make your throws somewhat more consistent. Likewise, when the cases are about full, you can often pick up the case, shake it lightly (covering the mouth, of course, so powder doesn't fly out) and tap lightly on the bench a few times and the volume of the charge will usually reduce somewhat. This has, on occassion, allowed me to take what may have been a lightly compressed load and seat a bullet with no compression. That said, I can't speak to how well this would work with your loads in a small .223 case...but it's worth a try. I know a lot of guys swear by certain compressed load and I know they tend to good accuracy with their loads. I, however, have always wondered about compressed loads and whether grains get crushed or whatever. If I were to load on a progressive loader, I would load a bit below max and use a non-extruded powder (either Ball or flake) that would throw more accurately and that would mostly fill the case but not needing to be compressed.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    I'm sure I'll pursue another powder, the 4096 is just what i had laying around. My test rounds did very well. Thanks for all your help

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    I bought the 4064 for 8mm mauser. Never thought id do 223. Wasnt sure the the time spent reloading 223 would be worth it. Still probably isnt, but its good fun. And it makes liberals cry.

I you like your rounds to be accurate, it is worth it. I use Varget for heavy bullets and AR-COMP for 55 grainers. 100 yards:

2LUZupG.jpg

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'd say get some H335, it meters wonderfully. Lots of people have success with other ball powders and I am sure they will chime in.

Stop by Bruno's, get ya some H335 - thank me later.

Took a shot in the dark with Bruno's :o , but that aside - H335 is definitely a good one to try.

Meters well, burns clean, has been rock-solid for me in different loadings - from 40gr varmint grenades to 75gr match rounds. Bolt gun, AR's, it just works.

Everything in red boldface!!!

H-335 is THE powder to use in .223/5.56x45mm.

As for ripping off/tearing off the case rim, this has got to be a lube issue.

Dillon case lube or homemade lube using lanolin and isopropyl alcohol is my choice. (Be sure to give the alcohol enough time to evaporate and the lube to spread around the case.)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Everything in red boldface!!!

H-335 is THE powder to use in .223/5.56x45mm.

As for ripping off/tearing off the case rim, this has got to be a lube issue.

Dillon case lube or homemade lube using lanolin and isopropyl alcohol is my choice. (Be sure to give the alcohol enough time to evaporate and the lube to spread around the case.)

If you see Ramshot/Tac, snatch it up. I like it more better than H-335;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    View attachment 132876

H335, it works just fine for me. 5-shot string.

**Wait a second, forget everything I said about H335, it's horrible, flows like bricks, and burns dirty - Buy ANY powder other than H335.

That'll leave more for me and byf43. ;)

Last edited:

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    My Hornady Guide does not list IMR 4064 for 223. Only 4198, 3031, 4895 and 4320. Even the IMR website does not show 4064 as an option.

Attachments

• IMR 4064.jpg
      IMR 4064.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 167

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    My Hornady Guide does not list IMR 4064 for 223. Only 4198, 3031, 4895 and 4320. Even the IMR website does not show 4064 as an option.

It's on my chart that came with the dies.

On a whim i lifted her skirt and took a peek. looks like an imperfection in the die inside by the neck. A divot the size of a pin head. Oddly it does not transfer to the brass.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    New die solved it. Just sized 100 cases. Butter smooth. Shame they were brand new dies.

It happens.

FWIW, went thru 2 set of Lee .223 dies, always wound up sticking a case, and having striations down the case well (noticeable after tumbling), after the 2nd set got one firmly stuck, switched to Hornady Custom dies - been smooth as glass since then.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    New die solved it. Just sized 100 cases. Butter smooth. Shame they were brand new dies.

Been following the thread and never saw mention of what dies you were using.
    The reloading equipment manufactures usually do a first class job at standing behind their product. Send 'em back.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Been following the thread and never saw mention of what dies you were using.
    The reloading equipment manufactures usually do a first class job at standing behind their product. Send 'em back.

Lee dies. All my kit is Lee. Where my 223 dies are brand new, they were brand new 30 years ago. My father just never used or even opened them before i got them. Lee has a 2 year warranty. I'm not worried about it, just happy that it got sorted out.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You can always polish a die to smooth it out... ;)

Could be that aging that long, it's just gotten some surface irregularity that can be cleaned up.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Seems like if I paid my self minimum wage, and spent a few hours fooling around with a cheap die, I could actually save money buying a slightly more expensive, higher quality die ...

in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom