• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    What kind of Shotgun shoot do you think we should partake in? Sporting Clay, Skeet, Trap, 5 Stand? or maybe a place that does all/most of the above?

Or is the interest more of shooting their tacticle shotguns?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd be interested in a shoot, but I'm a no-go for Black Friday. I'll watch this thread and make it if I can.

BaltimoreBass

Nov 13, 2008
    Baltimore
    JoppaJ and all - date is not set in stone so all suggestions at this point are welcomed. I'd like to have a date set by the end of the the week though. Let's set a date deadline for midnight Friday. Is that fair?

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I am a member at Thurmont and if it's not to far for everyone to drive, we can set a date to meet there for a shotgun shoot. It only costs $3 for guests to shoot with me.

Last edited:

BaltimoreBass

Nov 13, 2008
    Baltimore
    cyclrcr - Sorry I almost missed your post. The original thread that sparked the interested was more on the lines or HD/Tactical shotgunning so I'm thinking we'll keep it that way. As always suggestions are more than welcome.

PaulN - If we ended up at Elk Neck, are you willing to show up and give some tips?

BaltimoreBass

Nov 13, 2008
    Baltimore
    For you outdoor vets......How many rounds do your typically shoot during these kinds of events. I average about 50 or so at indoor ranges but it seems that ammo may go too quick on an outdoor range. White March Arms has sleeves of Federal Low Recoil slugs for a good price and I'm trying to figure out how many I'll need.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Elk neck could suck. Every time i go up there, there is literally 5 or 6 people sharing one shotgun, hogging the single trap line for hours.

I can easily shoot 1/2 a case of target loads in an hour.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    I am a member at Thurmont and if it's not to far for everyone to drive, we can set a date to meet there for a shotgun shoot. It only costs $3 for guests to shoot with me. Not to brag, but if you follow these links, you'll see that I took 1st place in the tactical/pump divisions at our shotgun matches this year. I know a little about shooting shotguns. A shotgun without a shoulder stock is a joke. Unless you're doing tactical entries, a breacher is a waste of money.
    http://www.yorkiwlaipsc.org/Results2008/IkesApril08-Shotgun.txt
    http://www.yorkiwlaipsc.org/Results2008/SummerBlast2008-ShotgunSideMatch.txt

If anyone is free this Saturday, there should be a practical shotgun match at Thurmont.

I can't make the shoot on the 29th. Seems I will still be serving penance for past sins by being trapped in a condo over the holiday with the in-laws.

Can't make this Saturday either. My brother and I are going to brave the crowds at the Chantilly Gun Show.

However, I would be up for a trip to Thurmont some other time. I 've been wanting to check out the facilities. It sounds very nice.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Just as an FYI- That Saturday after Thanksgiving is the opening day for Deer Firearms. The biggest hunting day of the year. You may find ranges overflowing for the last minute sight-ins or totally empty. Just wanted to get that out there more because a lot of us that may be interested in a shotgun shoot will DEFINITELY not be attending on that day ;)

Rough_Rider

Oct 31, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    Great point h2u. Thanks for the info. Gues we will have to take our chances and be prepared.

I only deer hunt using the bumber of my truck. I need all my ammo for the zombies, not about to waste any on deer.

BaltimoreBass

Nov 13, 2008
    Baltimore
    h2u - Thanks for the info.

Everyone - Let's keep the day the same for now but please feel free to post yay or nay and alternatives. If we get too many nays then I'll look at changing. Also it looks like the location will either be Elk Neck or Thurmont. I'm still waiting for PaulN to post a response.

Last edited:

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I'm free on the 29th. We can do Elk Neck if everyone would prefer, but at Thurmont we can probably have one of the pistol bays to ourselves and won't be bothered by anyone sighting in for the hunting season. This link has pictures of the pistol bays. http://www.mpsa.net/ranges/ranges.html And since Thurmont is a private club, you don't have to worry about any of the unsafe yahoo's that you find on public ranges like Elk Neck. Slugs and birdshot are allowed, but no buckshot. We can use paper or steel targets (7 1/2 or smaller lead shot only on the steel), clay birds, water jugs are ok as long as we clean up the mess. I checked their website and it doesn't mention anything about a limit on the number of guests but I'm going to double check with one of the Board members. For the next month or two my schedule is completely open so we may be able to schedule multiple dates. I can show you how to shoot, shoot fast and reload, but if you want to learn tactical entries or room clearing drills there are probably many others far more skilled than I am in those aspects. I shoot in competitions only. Many of the skills used in competition as far as gunhandling will transfer over to self-defense or tactical situations, but I am not an expert on tactics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom