• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim724

Nov 3, 2008
    Hi all,

I just purchased my first gun - a Mossberg 500 Persuader. I've been wanting a gun for awhile, and a recent close-call home invasion situation at my house convinced me to not wait any longer. (I live in Baltimore City.)

I have only shot a few times before and don't know much about guns.

I am looking for 1 or 2 lessons from a knowlegable person about gun safety, gun operation, and who has some good knowledge of my particular type of pump action 12ga shotgun.

Does anyone on this board offer private lessons or know of someone who does?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a super-formal arrangement...I am just looking to meet up with someone at a range who I can pay a few bucks to teach me the basic essentials.

Continental Arms in Timonium would be a convenient location for me. Do they allow shot guns? From what I have read on this board, it sounds like they might be pistol only?

Also, my Mossberg came with a pistol grip only. I am thinking of getting a traditional stock for it. Would it be helpful/necessary to have a regular stock before going to a range?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    Congratulations on the purchase.

Contact Dan frm Gun Connection in the dealers area and see if he has a stock for a Mossberg (he probably does). and get that installed. Continental only allows shotguns to be shouldered when shot. Also, 00buck and 000buck are required to shoot there. You can purchase that from WalMart for $10.50 for 15 rounds.

I'm not awesome with a shotgun but I can help you get started. How proficient are you with firearms in general?

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Welcome to the site! I have a 500 and can help you out. It also seems like a good reason to go to the range. PM me if you want to work out a date.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    i am in no way qualified to show you anything but if you let me know when you are going to continental i'll bring my 500 too. you must have a stock and fire it from the shoulder at continental, no pistol grip and hip shooting. did you get the breacher barrel? shotguns are pretty basic, so you shouldn't feel the need for any more assistance once you start pumping rounds thru that thing. don't forget to take the wooden dow rod out of the mag tube. if you've never fired it before, you will have a sore shoulder:D welcome to the forum.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    tim, welcome aboard! As others have said, you'll need a stock for Continental, but it's a great range. Fine weapon choice, I have 2 of them. Please let me know if I can help.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Welcome!

I wish I could help, but I am inexperienced and looking to learn myself.

+1 on Continental!

I went there for the first time last Saturday to pattern my shotgun. Good people, nice range.

BTW, has anyone else tried the 00 Buck Federal Tactical shells, the reduced recoil with the flight control wad ones? Wow! From my 870 with 18" barrel I was getting about 6" patterns at 75'.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Welcome!

I wish I could help, but I am inexperienced and looking to learn myself.

+1 on Continental!

I went there for the first time last Saturday to pattern my shotgun. Good people, nice range.

BTW, has anyone else tried the 00 Buck Federal Tactical shells, the reduced recoil with the flight control wad ones? Wow! From my 870 with 18" barrel I was getting about 6" patterns at 75'.

Yep, joppaj gave me some and I only fired a few at the last shoot to see what the recoil was like and it really was mild.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

As Novus notes, I'm a big fan

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Yep, joppaj gave me some and I only fired a few at the last shoot to see what the recoil was like and it really was mild.

I wouldn't call the regular 00 Remington buck loads fun to shoot, but the recoil was mild enough for the Federal tactical to enjoy blasting away. I need to stock up.

I wish I had some place that I could set out jugs of water and such to shoot.

I'm hoping they have some at the gun show in Frederick this weekend.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I've already got 150 rounds of the federal LEO rounds. Great Stuff

So when is this shotgun day happening? I'm definately in! Possibly beverages later on?

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I've been wanting a gun for awhile, and a recent close-call home invasion situation at my house convinced me to not wait any longer. (I live in Baltimore City.)

Tell us more...what happened?

Jeff M

Sep 2, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm in a similar situation - my first gun is a shotgun, and I have yet to shoot it. I've been trying to find a "shotgun basics class" or something similar but haven't found any.

I have a 20 ga. I don't think they make 00 or 000 for it. I wonder if they would allow #3?

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I wonder about the muzzle velocity and ballistics gelatin tests.

Muzzle velocity is listed on the side of the box... don't remember off the top of my head. Considering the numberof departments I know who actually carry it, I'd be surprised if it hadn't been extensivly tested.

tim724

Nov 3, 2008
    Tell us more...what happened?

My fiance and I were just hanging out at home and around 7:30pm some black kid walked right through our front door without knocking (it was unlocked) saying someone was chasing him with a gun. He was obviously scared and just sat in a corner asking us to help. The vibe was fairly clear that he was not seeking to harm us. I did want to kick him out, but feared having my door open with the attackers outside, so I just locked him in.

His 3 attackers must have saw him enter our house. First they were driving around our house really slowly and then they showed up on foot and started banging on the front door and yelling in at him. This was quite scary...my approach was to just keep them outside and run down the clock until the cops arrived.

My fiance was on the phone with 911 and I put her in the attic to hide and stay on the line with 911. The cops finally came and broke it up. No one got arrested...I guess the attackers only had a baseball bat when the cops showed up ...I don't know if they ever actually had a gun or not...I'm guessing they did but got rid of it at some point. The cop said the kid who ran into our house ripped the attackers off for some money.

We could have charged the kid who entered our house with trespassing, but declined. In hindsight, it seems we should have had the option to charge the 3 attackers with trespassing or home invasion. For some reason, the cop did not give us that option. He just let the 3 attackers walk away WITH their baseball bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom