Christian Soldier...another one bites the dust...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    How about Mountain Side Supply, or something like that on Liberty Rd by Marriotsville Rd? That one went years ago.

I remember that place. In the ghost town strip mall. I think it was the only store left in that mall. Lots of archery and Black powder supplies there.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can thank O'painintheass again for any and all closures.

Not true.

Most small businesses go out of business within 5 years without any "assistance" from the government. People open businesses without ANY clue of how to run a business and about the amount of work involved.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Who remembers that little gun shop INSIDE chatham mall in Ellicott City? Early to mid eighties i think. Left side right before you walked into Kmart.

How many people remember the ORIGINAL Valley Guns in Towson?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And then There was Donahues in Towson but I'm really dating myself. Howard Donahue was a wealth of info but got awfully cranky in his old age.

I think he was probably cranky at a YOUNG age. Like, can you imagine Lou ever being not cranky? :)

I bought my first pistol (Colt Government Model) from Howard.

It took a while to come in, so he loaned my one of his to go shooting.

Dec 31, 2012
    Not true.

Most small businesses go out of business within 5 years without any "assistance" from the government. People open businesses without ANY clue of how to run a business and about the amount of work involved.

Not applicable to CS. They may have had pita hours and quirky characters but the place moved inventory when they were open. I'm pretty sure the state assisted them into closing.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Not applicable to CS. They may have had pita hours and quirky characters but the place moved inventory when they were open. I'm pretty sure the state assisted them into closing.

I thought his hours were quirky because he is a firefighter, and he'd open the shop by appointment only... All who I know that dealt with him called him first and set up a time.

Dec 31, 2012
    I thought his hours were quirky because he is a firefighter, and he'd open the shop by appointment only... All who I know that dealt with him called him first and set up a time.

Yes he was a fireman but there were actual open hours that varied by weeks not just appointments. A pain to deal with the variability but workable nonetheless. Not a system conducive to just 'browse and buy' shopping.

Chalk up another gun store.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Yes he was a fireman but there were actual open hours that varied by weeks not just appointments. A pain to deal with the variability but workable nonetheless. Not a system conducive to just 'browse and buy' shopping.

Got ya...

I almost went there when I was looking to buy a P228, a buddy of mine had recommend him and a few other mutual friends had purchased there as well. This was before I joined MDS and learned about our great IPs — so at the time I ended up going to and buying from The Gun Rack, which coincidentally has also closed its doors.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    He wasn't always open/available which was the biggest PITA. But was willing to transfer anything including Class III for what (for a few years) were reasonable fees. He hiked his xfer fees up during the panic and I started going elsewhere. He was always packed when open so I'm not sure why he closed up.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    After Nicholls it was Second Amendment Services or something close for a short time. Nicholls had a lot of stuff besides guns, it was a nice store. And then There was Donahues in Towson but I'm really dating myself. Howard Donahue was a wealth of info but got awfully cranky in his old age.

I think he was probably cranky at a YOUNG age. Like, can you imagine Lou ever being not cranky? :)

Upon reading rico's post above, I knew it was inevitable that a comment would soon follow directed at me by some smartassed individual here.:lol2:

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    That's a shame about The Christian Soldier closing ( and what a cool name ). I think in the very near future, the only successful gun shops in Murderland will have an attached gun range. There will be exceptions, but damn few.

I just called Rob. Yep, he's done!!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

And customers have no issue with not being able to figure out when a business is open. Yeap. Hope you don't start a business. :)

If a customer comes by once or twice thinking you should be open and you are not, they will not typically come back a 3rd time, they will shop elsewhere.

If you can't be there for reasonable published non-floating hours, hire someone who can be.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Upon reading rico's post above, I knew it was inevitable that a comment would soon follow directed at me by some smartassed individual here.:lol2:

Of course. SOMEONE has to do it. It was just too wide open to leave lying. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't think so. There are a number of gun shops doing quite well without an attached gun range.

Shooter's Discount
    Bart's Sports World
    The Bank
    Clyde's
    Engage

Wiseguy59

Sep 10, 2013
    Northern Balto. County
    You mean Nicholl's?

I bought a couple of pistols from them.

I bought my S&W .586 .357 from Leonard back in '80, when they were still located in the shopping center next to Immaculate Heart on Loch Raven (the one that had Holly's Auto Supply) :D. I bought all of my reloading equipment from them earlier in that year from his father (I believe). When they moved to Joppa Road, the store really expanded with a lot of hunting gear. Too bad it was only a few years later that they sold the store.

Dec 31, 2012
    And customers have no issue with not being able to figure out when a business is open. Yeap. Hope you don't start a business. :)

If a customer comes by once or twice thinking you should be open and you are not, they will not typically come back a 3rd time, they will shop elsewhere.

If you can't be there for reasonable published non-floating hours, hire someone who can be.

Not sure why you directed that at me but whatever.

I stopped shopping there after I became impatient waiting for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom