• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    What should one look for when purchasing .22lr? I bought a box when I bought my gun (a Mossberg 715t) but am going to start getting more here and there. Thanks

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Many semi autos can be picky with ammo and one brand might jam a lot more than others. Typically CCI mini mags and Federal Automatch bulk packs work well in semi autos. You might also try other bulk packs like Remington golden bullets, etc.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    First thing I did was to find out what my rifle shot well.
    I tested 7 or 8 different loads from bulk from Walmart to eley target and federal gold match. It surprised me that the bulk shot as well as the match ammo, but it didn't like anything hyper velocity. YMWV

Let us know what you find!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Accuracy counts too. In the old days you could buy several different brands and see which one shot better in your rifle. These days finding ammo can be hit or miss.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Flow chart for buying .22lr:

Is it in front of you?
    Yes ====> Buy it
    No ====> Post on MDS about how there isn't any .22lr anywhere and the .gov must be buying it all up

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There are different velocities.
    The box should show the fps estimate.
    Starting from slower to faster
    Quiets (like CCI quiets @ 710FPS)
    Sub Sonic (like CCI Standard @ 1070FPS, or Remington Target)
    High Velocity (Like CCI Minimags @ 1235, Remington Gold bullet)
    Super High velocity (Stingers @1640)

There are many more out there. Most Semi Autos like the mossberg (that's basically the Plinkster with a plastic shroud) will like High Velocity and may have issues cycling with sub sonic when dirty or not broken in.
    Be careful with the Super HV stuff or anything over 1300fps in that semi unless the MFG says its ok, it can slam the bolt too much on that blowback action and crack some stuff. All depends on the gun.
    Super HV is typically best reserved for bolt guns but depending on the gun and maybe mods, I don't know.

Copper or lubaloy(golden bullets) will not produce the leading in the barrel and some folks with semi autos prefer it. You will always hear "each gun is different and will like different bullets). I've found that true but you also get what you pay for. I've not had ANY issues with CCI SV or Minimags in mine, or my Dad's 22 pistols, rifles etc. We have enough stuff that if we get something, we have a gun that can shoot it. Short distances indoors with pistols, you notice less between ammo so long as it will shoot it. Some ammo has bad reps for misfires, just google around.
    I don't think me or my dad have a gun that won't shoot Rem golden bullets, just not always as accurate as say Mini Mags.
    You also have the expensive target ammo like Ely Match or CCI Green Tag. I still have some but it may be the last stuff I shoot it was like 16cpr when I got it.

4cpr? really, that is few and far between if at all....... Maybe the American Eagle when Bass Pro has it in stock and limits you to 150 rounds.

Good Luck.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I gotta know what the OP's intentions are with the firearm. If your goal is high-volume plinking, then the answer is different than tack-driving.

At times, I've poured massive volumes of fire into cut off pieces of 2x12's, driving them across a small pond while reducing them to splinters. OK low-cost was my goal. Other times, with a scope and target barrel, my goal was a single jagged hole at 50 yards. To do that, I ran through over 30 different flavors of ammo that I was able to lay my hands on, and found the top choices, which weren't so cheap.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Seems thunderturds get mixed results. Leaded a barrel all the way to .17 for me on one gun, yet shoots with no issues in another. Both long guns. I stopped buying them after the leading problem I had. Even walked past several bricks this past year. Prefer to err on the side of not ever having to spend a week scrubbing out a barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom