• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have made this offer in many threads and have never been taken up on it. If you have Thunderbolts and don't like them, I will take them from you.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    What to look for in .22 ammo?

In today's market look for availability because it is still in short supply. The real question is what do you want to do with your .22? Are you interested in hunting and what game? Do you just want to plink and is cost important? Do you want to become a Distinguished Expert target shooter and compete? Also what platform are you using? Rifle, pistol, revolver, type of action etc.

There is no single ammo that is best in all situations which is why there are so many choices. Add to that the .22 rim fire is widely recognized as being a finicky shooting platform and in most cases to get the best accuracy you will need to try a number of different brands and types of ammo to find what works best in your particular gun. Even two different guns of the same make and model sometimes like different ammo choices.

Tell us more about your particular situation.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Besides the above suggestions, I have had really good results from every Aguila .22LR type that I've tried, and it's usually available at reasonable online prices online for today's market. Their "Super Extra" and match offerings are exceptionally accurate in my old Marlin 25 bolt gun. I just picked up a 795 on Black Friday and I'm certainly going to try some of their HS solids and HPs in it.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    As said above super extra for the price is wonderful .22 ammo. Very accurate and not as dirty as some others. Shoots far better than i from my kimber. I split a few cases across the board a year ago and heard nothing but positive reviews.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Once you are past the "buy what I can find" stage you need to think about what you are using it for. For accuracy Eley or Lapua if you can afford it or CCI-SV or Norma TAC-22 for on the cheap. For plinking, hunting, or speed competition any high velocity your firearm likes. Mine like CCI but I also have Aguila Super Extra, SK High Velocity, Fed American Eagle, Champion, and AutoMatch, Winchester M-22, 222/333/555 and a few others because beggers can't be choosers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom