• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    SB0136 was just introduced. It looks like a repeat of the diminution credits bill from last year. Sponsored by our good friend Senator Brochin.

I let him have it last year. He jumped up from his seat and caught me in the lobby after my testimony. He said he opposed the bill in '13 because "it wasn't the right time". I called BS and he just gave me a smirk. I think he knows this will not pass and is doing it to try and reclaim some of his supporters that he turned on in the last 2 sessions.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Am I to take the introduction of SB0100 to mean that Hogan will not instruct the state police to accept self defense as a G&S? Why would we need this bill if he can correct the current state of affairs with an order to his appointed super intendant?

Mr H

Banana'd
    Hearing set for 2/3/15 @ 2:00pm

SB0100- Public Safety - Permit to Carry, Wear, or Transport a Handgun - Qualifications
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/fr...b=01&ys=2015RS BAD LINK

Why is this hearing next week? Aren't the firearm bills usually after 2A Tuesday? This is next Tuesday.

Personally (and this was borne out a bit last year), I stopped counting on a "Gun Day" as there has been in the past. Once FSA13 came along, IMO all bets were off, and I began expecting things to happen according to the Committees' whim.

Am I to take the introduction of SB0100 to mean that Hogan will not instruct the state police to accept self defense as a G&S? Why would we need this bill if he can correct the current state of affairs with an order to his appointed super intendant?

I'm not anywhere near the middle like I have been in the past, but I see no problem here. Hogan can do whatever he feels necessary, once he has the new head of MSP in place. Ideally, we want it codified, but I sure don't expect that this year (though it would be fantastic to get it how we need it).

ETA:

I see nothing scheduled for this bill, and 2/3 in JPR is anything but gun bills...
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...chedpage&id=20150203-jpr&stab=02&tab=subject2

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Hearing set for 2/3/15 @ 2:00pm

SB0100- Public Safety - Permit to Carry, Wear, or Transport a Handgun - Qualifications
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/fr...b=01&ys=2015RS

Why is this hearing next week? Aren't the firearm bills usually after 2A Tuesday? This is next Tuesday.

The hearing set for 2/3/15 @ 2:00pm is for SB0068 regarding deer hunting, not SB0100.

I believe that they want to spread the dates apart to keep our numbers small. If they have everything on one day, then they get the full force of us. This is why it's important to speak with your representatives, OFTEN! Bill's will pop up and hearings will get scheduled and we need to be out in front of when that happens.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If you can't attend in person, you can still submit written testimony :)
    It'll be stored with the bill for eternity.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Not directly related to just firearms, but also not completely irrelevant. SB0173 has been submitted by Sen Gladden. He's the only sponsor.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=sb0173&stab=01&ys=2015RS
    Authorizing the deployment of a SWAT team only under specified circumstances; requiring a law enforcement agency to create a specified report before the deployment of a SWAT team, with a specified exception; requiring, at specified intervals beginning on a specified date, a law enforcement agency that maintains a SWAT team to report specified information to the Governor's Office of Crime Control and Prevention using a specified format; etc.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Isn't "Gladden" Lisa Gladden from Balt City? 2nd in command in JPR?

At first glance, it appears to be not much better than a complete hamstringing of SWAT (possibly as a reaction to the couple of no-knock situations this past year)

Might be worth an additional read, just to be safe...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Isn't "Gladden" Lisa Gladden from Balt City? 2nd in command in JPR?

At first glance, it appears to be not much better than a complete hamstringing of SWAT (possibly as a reaction to the couple of no-knock situations this past year)

Might be worth an additional read, just to be safe...

Yup, that's her
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...age&tab=subject6&id=gladden&stab=01&ys=2015RS

Current Assignments
    2007- Majority Whip
    2007- Vice Chair, Judicial Proceedings Committee
    2003- Joint Committee on Administrative, Executive and Legislative Review (AELR)
    1999- Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Inc.
    1999- Women Legislators of Maryland

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    No it won't, the only way that self defense would be taken off the table administratively is if the legislature actually stepped up and wrote the definition of G&S into law.

Pass, not pass in the legislature has absolutely no bearing on what another branch of government (Executive) will do administratively.

Please stop overthinking things and making them harder than they need to be.

If the debate provides evidence that the intent of the mga was and is to exclude self defense as a G&S. Then you hand Frosh a layup for the court. Personally I prefer not to do that,if I can avoid it.

As it is the burden is on Frosh to show that he Gov is exceeding his authority..

A debate which rejected a bill to allow Self defense, would,just like the removal of the live fire requirement for the HQL, have significant bearing. That it was offered at all is an indication that self defense was not envisioned..
    Now if its rejected as unnecessary then its neutral.. I sure think its unnecessary ...I bet lots of others think its not necessary..

Of course Frosh may not care to fight.

Mr H

Banana'd

PgRefugee

Jan 23, 2015
    I get what you guys are saying, but is it really so ridiculous that a felonious assault committed by an officer acting outside of policy, should be treated as such? Lots of people were calling for the termination of that MD transportation cop who searched the guy from Florida because he owned a gun. What happened to that officer? Nothing. Law enforcement as a whole is getting a bad rap, but "I'm just doing my job" is getting a little old. I'm not a criminal and I shouldn't be treated like one. The training that today's police receive puts their safety above all else. I was a cop for a lot of years and I never confused my job with a safe one. If I wanted a safe job, I would've worked at a pillow testing facility. Mike Brown was justified no doubt, but what about Kelly Thomas? Most people don't even remember that one. Most cops I knew and worked with were great guys, protectors and patriots, but the few bad ones aren't routinely punished and that's a problem.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I have no issue with criminal activity being treated as such, but this proposal--especially after hearing Princess Stephanie last night--sounds like another knee-jerk-feel-good overreaction...

We'll have to see how it plays out, but it seems to me that due process is not in play as it should be, and it opens the door for good officers to lose their jobs for potentially unfounded accusations.

PgRefugee

Jan 23, 2015
    Couldn't agree more actually. Our great state has a tendency to pass legislation that only affects the innocent. I'd like to see this testimony, in another note, who the he'll is princess Stephanie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom