• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Some reminders, in regard to writing the GA membership...

Be factual. Hyperbole and innuendo will be ignored. Emotional connections are good, but don't let them get in the way of your point.

Be polite. Ranting and raving have their place, but IMO a letter to a legislator isn't one of them. Win them to your point, rather than shove it in their eye.

Proofread. Please. Many a good point has been lost to poor grammar, spelling and formatting.

Sign your name as it appears on your voter card. If you are not registered yet, it's quick and easy. "Bobby Smith" will not easily be correlated to someone registered as "Robert J. Smith, Jr." and, when they get busy, it will likely not be considered.

This year in particular, if you can make a connection between your position on legislation and budgetary issues, it sure can't hurt to bring it up.

Will post more if I come up with anything.

Last edited:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Some reminders, in regard to writing the GA membership...

Be factual. Hyperbole and innuendo will be ignored. Emotional connections are good, but don't let them get in the way of your point.

Be polite. Ranting and raving have their place, but IMO a letter to a legislator isn't one of them. Win them to your point, rather than shove it in their eye.

Proofread. Please. Many a good point has been lost to poor grammar, spelling and formatting.

Use your name as it appears on your voter card. If you are not registered yet, it's quick and easy. "Bobby Smith" will not be correlated to someone registered as "Robert J. Smith, Jr.", and will likely not be considered.

This year in particular, if you can make a connection between your position on legislation and budgetary issues, it sure can't hurt to bring it up.

Will post more if I come up with anything.
    This!

Also understand that the majority of these folks aren't interested in hearing about James Madison or Thomas Jefferson and god-given rights... To the contrary, they're turned off.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

THIS THIS THIS. For the love of all that is good don't give them any reason to think that we are somehow less intelligent then they are. Use that spell checker and when you've finished writing read aloud what you have put down.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    THIS THIS THIS. For the love of all that is good don't give them any reason to think that we are somehow less intelligent then they are. Use that spell checker and when you've finished writing read aloud what you have put down.

These people LOVE nothing better than proving their beliefs that gun owners are dumb hicks.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    HB0121 has been introduced:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=hb0121&stab=01&ys=2015RS

Repealing specified mandatory minimum sentences for specified drug- related offenses; providing that a person convicted of specified drug- related offenses is not prohibited from participating in a specified drug treatment program; providing that a specified person is entitled to a hearing and sentence review; repealing a prohibition against a person possessing a regulated firearm if the person was previously convicted of specified drug-related offenses; etc.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Any debate on this bill may impune the claim that self defense is a G&S under current law, and thus end any attempt to act administratively. Esp if it gets a vote and fails.

You're right, but there's no way it'll make it out of committee. I think if it's brought to the floor we need to win. I don't think we have any shot at Hogan/MSP willingly going against the direct wishes of the legislature if this actually is debated. Clarifying COMAR is one thing, it's another to administratively make law right after the potential law was voted against and I don't think Hogan wants to make waves that are that big.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    You're right, but there's no way it'll make it out of committee. I think if it's brought to the floor we need to win. I don't think we have any shot at Hogan/MSP willingly going against the direct wishes of the legislature if this actually is debated. Clarifying COMAR is one thing, it's another to administratively make law right after the potential law was voted against and I don't think Hogan wants to make waves that are that big.

We don't want the debate at all. Not yet. Only if Hogan does not act... next session would be the soonest IMHO.

And it would be smart to cordinate with Hogan.

I would not bet much that will happen.. but who knows.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    We don't want the debate at all. Not yet. Only if Hogan does not act... next session would be the soonest IMHO.

And it would be smart to cordinate with Hogan.

I would not bet much that will happen.. but who knows.

Governor Hogan won't be going anywhere near a firearms issue until February of 2019 at the earliest.

And rightly so if he wishes to have a second bite at the apple.

We are on our own.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Governor Hogan won't be going anywhere near a firearms issue until February of 2019 at the earliest.

And rightly so if he wishes to have a second bite at the apple.

We are on our own.

2019? WTF? I will abstain from voting if he waits until then to do "something" for carry rights.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Any debate on this bill may impune the claim that self defense is a G&S under current law, and thus end any attempt to act administratively. Esp if it gets a vote and fails.

No it won't, the only way that self defense would be taken off the table administratively is if the legislature actually stepped up and wrote the definition of G&S into law.

Pass, not pass in the legislature has absolutely no bearing on what another branch of government (Executive) will do administratively.

Please stop overthinking things and making them harder than they need to be.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Sure there is, have a companion bill sponsored in the house and have it go to committee. There are enough republicans on the house side to petition a bill out of committee if they want to. If that happens, there is no way on earth that a committee chairman can desk drawer a bill, and no committee vote needed at that point (I believe).

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Sure there is, have a companion bill sponsored in the house and have it go to committee. There are enough republicans on the house side to petition a bill out of committee if they want to. If that happens, there is no way on earth that a committee chairman can desk drawer a bill, and no committee vote needed at that point (I believe).

If it is petitioned out of committee in the house and passed to the senate wouldn't the senate judiciary still be able to desk drawer it?

Mr H

Banana'd
    If it is petitioned out of committee in the house and passed to the senate wouldn't the senate judiciary still be able to desk drawer it?

Maybe, but it would be JPR sticking its thumb in JUD's (if not the whole House's) eye, and that would be bad form.

If it were to pass the House, it would be with some D support, and the wrangling Mike & Mike would have to do would be epic.

IMO, they would--in your scenario--fight this on the Senate floor, and try to pull a Frosh with the voting... kick it back to the House, and corral the vagrant Ds there.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I'm sticking with my 2-3 year timeframe... but that also includes that we hold up our end of the load. If we don't act in the meantime, why should he bother then?

what load are we to hold up and 2 or 3 more years before anything pro 2a is to show outwardly? what happened to as soon as he got in office? like I have said before I don't expect instant relief from our yokes but 2 or 3 more years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom